The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, queenslad said:

I think set up of team is more for playing away from home than at home. The play is slow and all about keeping possession and playing safe. Doing that a way is easier than at home. We struggle to break teams down at home when they sit in but its easier to pick teams off when they show a bit of attacking intent

I don't think many sides have sat in at Palmerston though. I can't recall many games where I felt the opposition had 11 men behind the ball and we were just unable to break them down. If anything, for the most part teams have came to Palmerston and been on top for most of the game. 

20 hours ago, Artemis said:

There’s nothing wrong with wanting more connection between the players and the fans or having a better atmosphere at home games. But I think any improvement in results would be very minor. The thing that will make the biggest difference is having a competent manager. If Queens had that and were up near the top of the league, there wouldn’t be any conversations about the rest of it.

This.   

8 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Well Bartley promised our Board and the players promotion, so yes from his own standards at the start of the season he has failed.

Unless he went for the ambiguous "I'll get you out of this league" 

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

19 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Except we didn’t play 4-4-2 that night. 
Kidd and Holt as wing backs on either side of Durnan, Dowie and Higgins. 
https://www.qosfc.com/match-1075

Fair enough but my main point was we played with two strikers, they both scored we caused teams problems and won. No coincidence there.

11 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Well Bartley promised our Board and the players promotion, so yes from his own standards at the start of the season he has failed.

He probably meant from League 2 next season!

It's difficult to put into words how useless Bartley has been.

On 09/04/2024 at 09:58, palmy_cammy said:

Sadly Bartley seems to have no interest in appeasing people, and instead prefers to antagonise and alienate.

Spot on.  That is what he has done to players and fans alike and led to the appalling and desperate situation we are now in.

He presents aloof and arrogant and nothing is his fault, ever.

11 hours ago, Riviera711 said:

It's difficult to put into words how useless Bartley has been.

It really is.  

Many of us have tried, but it's almost impossible to capture the scale of how terrible he's been in the role.  I honestly doubt if anyone, anyone at all, could have done any worse.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is.  

Many of us have tried, but it's almost impossible to capture the scale of how terrible he's been in the role.  I honestly doubt if anyone, anyone at all, could have done any worse.

I'm sure I'd have given him a run for his money tbf ... 😎

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is.  

Which brings it back to why he's still there...board pigheadedness... dereliction of duty. Surely they don't want to go down in history for all the wrong reasons 

13 hours ago, bod said:

Fair enough but my main point was we played with two strikers, they both scored we caused teams problems and won. No coincidence there.

Yes I understand your point.
When you look at the really solid pros in that team with the likes of McKenna, Dowie, Higgins and Lyle plus youngsters like Holt and Reilly it makes you realise how far we’ve fallen as a club. Challenging for a play off spot in a championship that contained the likes of Hibs and Rangers. In that week alone we beat Hibs at Easter Road followed by wins over Rangers and Falkirk at Palmerston. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

11 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Which brings it back to why he's still there...board pigheadedness... dereliction of duty. Surely they don't want to go down in history for all the wrong reasons 

Not as simple as that. Why would they want to stand accused of that ?

It must be purely financial, in my opinion. 

We just have to really hope that part of that contract was to at least make top 4 and anything else is failure and can lead to parting of ways without having to pay up full contract.

A walk out would be very public and obvious protest at the state of the Club. Say 15th minute or so everyone just leaves. 

Failing that you need to get the white bed sheets with "Bartley Out" flying at the Terregles Road end. 

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is.  

Let's discuss the elements that go into managing Queens and how he has done. I live out of country so mainly just see highlights, so others will be better placed to complete these than me. 

Quality of Football

Negative, uninspired, players collapse at the first sign of adversity. 

Results

Worst season for decades.

Signings

26 man squad but players out of position because, in his words, most of his signings aren't good enough.

Youth Development

Loan players over home grown, deliberately reducing Gibson's game time, no young players have emerged (loan or otherwise).

Player Man Management

Playstation gate, randomly dropping players, fallings out with various squad members, obsessive focus on individual errors, etc

Upward Management (BOD)

Well he's still in a job, so....

Public Relations

Repetitive interviews, shirking responsibility, Playstation gate, Arsenal, etc.

There will be no movement on the manager until the season is over and a new board is in place. So no point fretting over any potential stacking until those two criteria have been met as a minimum. Sorry to disappoint, but this seems clear to me ... reading the runes ...

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Not as simple as that. Why would they want to stand accused of that ?

It must be purely financial, in my opinion. 

We just have to really hope that part of that contract was to at least make top 4 and anything else is failure and can lead to parting of ways without having to pay up full contract.

The Board are certainly giving a good impression of pigheadedness and abandoning duty.

If it is purely financial then he must be on one hell of a wage if it outweighs reduced points money for league position, plus lower income from gate receipts as support dwindles, plus potential further financial losses if relegation happens, and that's even before you take into consideration the brutal style of football that's on offer.  Obviously, or rather hopefully,  Murray's pay-off will also have to be met but I can't see that as being a major problem. 

The Board has done some great things off the Park in their time, as well as some well publicised gaffs it has to be said, but the biggest embarrassment of their tenure would surely be taking a reasonably stable full time Championship level team back to possibly going part-time and flirting dangerously close to dropping into the fourth tier of the professional game just because they failed to take a decision a couple of months back to ditch Bartley, which was really a no-brainer.

He hasn't offered any contracts yet which I hope means he knows he's getting punted. Murray better be going along with him or not much will change. 

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He hasn't offered any contracts yet which I hope means he knows he's getting punted. Murray better be going along with him or not much will change. 

Probably waiting to see what division we're in and if staying full-time. The new Board of Director maybe hasn't decided the budget yet.

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Heard we have Minmaugh signed up for next season regardless though.