The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Happy enough with that (if it's official). As I said a page or so back I was always expecting another GK to come in. I hope it means Cowie is going out on loan again (very harsh FWIW) rather than his injury being very serious. 

I’d imagine he’ll be out on loan until January then come back into contention. That’s if Hogarth isn’t 1st choice come then I guess? August/September he should be back training properly so getting a few months first team football into him after would be beneficial for everyone

33 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I’d imagine he’ll be out on loan until January then come back into contention. That’s if Hogarth isn’t 1st choice come then I guess? August/September he should be back training properly so getting a few months first team football into him after would be beneficial for everyone

I guess Hogarth and Walker are reasonable quality but I’m puzzled that we haven’t signed forwards, CB or RB/RWB when the season is 10 days away. Worried about our lack of goals and terrified of Doherty as a potential first choice. Still I guess we have to trust the manager knows what he is doing 🤷🏻‍♂️

59 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I guess Hogarth and Walker are reasonable quality but I’m puzzled that we haven’t signed forwards, CB or RB/RWB when the season is 10 days away. Worried about our lack of goals and terrified of Doherty as a potential first choice. Still I guess we have to trust the manager knows what he is doing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am exactly the same we have lost Reilly Mumbongo and Connelly they all had goals in them yet only replaced them with MacIntosh

I am hoping that he is now looking at the loan market surely can't start the season with 1 forward and Doherty .

On Walker and Barnes if Murphy thought they were good enough why not sign them straight  away they are as you say reasonable quality but is that enough to win us the League .

We have the making of a good squad but just need that final few  quality signings especially up front to lift us to another level 

16 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

IMG_6139.jpeg

Not sure on this one but willing to give the boy a chance. Covers positions we need cover, I’m sure he’ll be on the lower end of the scale wage wise, which will hopefully allow us to get add proper quality in final 2/3 positions that need filled. 

Although Walker is described as a midfielder I always thought he mainly played in the number 10 role, so maybe (assuming I haven't just made that up) he is being looked at as a direct replacement for Connelly.  Was he the trialist who scored a couple of goals against Abbey Vale (first half)?

Edited by Slipmat
To add the first half bit

7 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Although Walker is described as a midfielder I always thought he mainly played in the number 10 role, so maybe (assuming I haven't just made that up) he is being looked at as a direct replacement for Connelly.  Was he the trialist who scored a couple of goals against Abbey Vale (first half)?

Not sure how accurate this is…

IMG_6141.jpeg

There is still the possibility of getting in some quality on loan from clubs in the Premiership.  Their transfer activity is at an early stage, so their idea of who can go on loan will develop over the next few weeks.  We have a tough League Cup group with a slim chance of qualifying.  We may find that is better to wait and see who is available later rather than taking players now for the sake of it.  I'd be inclined to make a call on the strength of the squad based on the Alloa game rather than the Aberdeen game.  

To take a random example, there's a young lad at Hearts called James Wilson.  Only 17 but has appeared as a sub for the first team.  Scored plenty goals for the B team in the Lowland League.  His place in the pecking order at Hearts will be determined by what business Hearts do with strikers.  My guess is that Hearts will feel he needs game time, and at a better level than the Lowland League.  However, they will be in no rush to make a decision as there won't be a shortage of clubs interested if he does go out on loan.  

Murphy is an experienced manager, so hopefully the bigger clubs will see him as someone who can develop their players.  I'd have been less confident of us getting decent players if Bartley had stayed.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Surely not ... L1 or L2 level only.

Agreed.  One of my Edinburgh City chums said he was decent going forward but suspect defensively.  That was in L2.  As my username suggests I don't go every week, but I saw enough to suggest that L1 is his level.  Maybe harsh as he is still young.

Quite like the recruitment by Murphy to date but like others I'm starting to get concerned as to where the goals will come from ... still time for a couple of decent loans in though ... he said, hopefully.

31 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

To take a random example, there's a young lad at Hearts called James Wilson.  Only 17 but has appeared as a sub for the first team.  Scored plenty goals for the B team in the Lowland League.  His place in the pecking order at Hearts will be determined by what business Hearts do with strikers.  My guess is that Hearts will feel he needs game time, and at a better level than the Lowland League.  However, they will be in no rush to make a decision as there won't be a shortage of clubs interested if he does go out on loan.  

Good shout re James Wilson ... no doubt there'll be a few clubs checking in with Tynecastle on the lads availability ... hope Murphy reads P&B ...

Edited by Otis Blue

Happy enough with Walker coming in, he'll be useful. Hopefully sign Barnes too. RB/CB but again wouldn't break the bank for him.

Striker wise if we go down the loan route then how about Bobby Wales...was banging them in for Alloa last term and don't think he'll break into Killie's first team this season. Maybe he'll get a loan move to the Championship though. But he is one I would love at the club. 

I'm sure Mr Murphy will have a couple of targets looked out for top end of the pitch. Looking forward to friendly on Saturday! 

7 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

There is still the possibility of getting in some quality on loan from clubs in the Premiership.  Their transfer activity is at an early stage, so their idea of who can go on loan will develop over the next few weeks.  We have a tough League Cup group with a slim chance of qualifying.  We may find that is better to wait and see who is available later rather than taking players now for the sake of it.  I'd be inclined to make a call on the strength of the squad based on the Alloa game rather than the Aberdeen game.  

Murphy is an experienced manager, so hopefully the bigger clubs will see him as someone who can develop their players.  I'd have been less confident of us getting decent players if Bartley had stayed.

This. Fully expecting a striker or two to be a loanee now unless Murphy can pull something magic out the bag. 20 goal strikers don't generally sign for L1 sides so a bit of a reality check is required. I'm willing to give Murphy the benefit of the doubt given jow he's recruited so far and the fact he's already got shot of one dud of a striker. 

5 hours ago, 84yards said:

Striker wise if we go down the loan route then how about Bobby Wales...was banging them in for Alloa last term and don't think he'll break into Killie's first team this season.

Exactly who I'm hoping is on our radar. Like you I expect he'll be Championship bound but you don't get if you don't ask. 

Only problem I've got with the loan market is that the parent club may insist that the player must get X amount of game time, no problem if you get a gem but the likes of getting another Alex Ferguson ( not a striker, I know) or a 2nd spell Innes Cameron, fills me with dread. 

3 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Murphy did get a player on loan at Annan last season from Newcastle, hopefully he's waiting to see who he can get this season.

The person credited for the loanee From Newcastle is still at Annan, lets see if he can get another indeed.

6 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

The person credited for the loanee From Newcastle is still at Annan, lets see if he can get another indeed.

Coiln McMenamin was credited with the loan from Newcastle heard it myself from several Annan fans before the game against us .

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Only problem I've got with the loan market is that the parent club may insist that the player must get X amount of game time, no problem if you get a gem but the likes of getting another Alex Ferguson ( not a striker, I know) or a 2nd spell Innes Cameron, fills me with dread. 

Innes got a new day at Killie I saw. Shocked. I thought he was horrific.