The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye they certainly gave our guys a few kicks. Absolutely nothing dangerous though but it made me laugh seeing Ferry jumping up and down constantly after said hammer throwers went through our players time after time. Perhaps they get away with it more often in the LL. 

Reece Lyon just brushed them aside he’s that good. What an unbelievable talent we’re lucky to have this season. 

4 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Reece Lyon just brushed them aside he’s that good. What an unbelievable talent we’re lucky to have this season. 

He did for the most part and he's a brilliant signing as you say, but sadly he received enough kicks that required him to be subbed. I'm guessing that's exactly what Murphy is talking about when he's saying his players need protection. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I actually think we are quite a physical side now, even if we aren't a team of big huge guys. Right through spine of the team we have guys who can handle themselves. I haven't read Murphy's comments but if he's genuinely concerned about tackles taking place in what are glorified friendlies then he's likely going to lose his mind when the real stuff starts. 

I can get what you're saying. We definitely have a bit more of a presence than we have in recent years by adding guys like Niang* and Mumbongo but I still feel in the balance we are relatively smaller than average. That doesn't mean we are soft, which guys like Finlay and Carlo would back up. Small, but strong on the ball.

Ironically, for Niang being the "tough tackler" he is, it sounds like he had similar treatment to Lyon vs EK, and ended up being subbed too.

Can you pay for a ticket at Airdrie tomorrow or do you need to buy a ticket on line? There is no match information apart from being able to buy tickets online on website

20 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Aye, but he also mentioned some of the challenges in the Dumbarton game. Thought it just a bit ironic him wanting Refs to protect his players given how he had Annan performing. Used to be quite normal in the good old days, before football got all namby-pamby,  to target the opposition danger man, not condoning that of course but we need to match teams in aggression when needed.

Matching others is not the point. That doesn't stop our players potentially being injured.

Murphy was a physical player himself and will not be discouraging his players to compete in any way.

We have a small squad so quite right for a Manager to want to have minimal injuries and disruption.

48 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Matching others is not the point. That doesn't stop our players potentially being injured.

Murphy was a physical player himself and will not be discouraging his players to compete in any way.

We have a small squad so quite right for a Manager to want to have minimal injuries and disruption.

Potentially asking Referees to give his players more protection just sounds a bit " Old Firmy" to me. Whichever Manager says it it always sounds like wanting special treatment from Refs, or putting extra pressure on Refs to give your team some advantage. I'm sure we also pick up a fair percentage of injuries at training, what will he do about that? As I've already said it's the irony of the comments given his last club weren't backward in being overly physical.

6 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Injuries are part of football but to have so many as early as this is a real worry .

Have to hope none are serious especially Lyon who could be a big player for us this season .

At least one good thing was to see Jack Brydon back and get some game time .

Have to hope Murphy can get some quality in on loan this week . 

11 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Injuries are part of football but to have so many as early as this is a real worry .

Have to hope none are serious especially Lyon who could be a big player for us this season .

At least one good thing was to see Jack Brydon back and get some game time .

Have to hope Murphy can get some quality in on loan this week . 

He will next week from down South. 

Played some good stuff today against a well drilled team. Could/should have scored in the first half but the team showed a lot more promise than last season. The injuries however are concerning. Lyon, then Cochrane going off is a concern, particularly as they were playing well. However it all starts next week at our favourite hunting ground, not, Alloa.!

Thought we played well today until the double blow. Lyon came back to the bench and was hobbling so I'm expecting the worst possible news tbh. A massive blow already. Hopefully Cochrane and Benji are available next weekend or it could be a long afternoon. Take nothing away from the boys in the second half, they stuck to their task well and didn't let Airdrie run over the top of us. We clearly set up to hit on the counter attack but I wouldn't be confident next week if we start with the midfield we finished with today. 

There's already signs the players are buying into what's expected of them. I thought you could see clearly the players knew what to do in the first half. Really disciplined and well organised. Lost count of how many times Airdrie were caught offside - credit to the back 3 for that. We don't have a sluggish Ambrose type player in there this season. There were lots of times last season where I thought the players hadn't a clue what they were supposed to be doing so the signs so far are encouraging. 

Hopefully closer to full strength next week when the real stuff starts. Overall I've come away pretty confident after the LC. Especially given how OTT some reactions after the Aberdeen game. 

First half yesterday was much better than midweek. Very unlucky to go in at HT one down on the balance of play. It would be easier to judge our league chances if we could field a decent frontline and see how effective players like McIntosh, Kennedy etc might be in giving us a genuine goal threat.  It is likely to be the weakest L1 title race for some time so the winners may not need to be anything special.

Murphy is coming over well and has a good way with him. 

The injuries are a huge concern - we naturally expect Messrs Cochrane, Doherty, Brydon and Church to struggle but the Palmerston injury curse seems to be affecting new signings who hitherto have had good career playing records. The bottom line is that we are very reliant on a handful of key players and without the majority of them it is going to be tough.

Airdrie have come a very long way in a short time under Rhys McCabe - two full backs who play as auxiliary wingers, a squad packed full of players who are comfortable on the ball and a disciplined passing game that waits for openings and exploits overloads that appear as opponents tire. Very impressive progress - he must be a manager in demand at some point.

30 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

...a disciplined passing game that waits for openings and exploits overloads that appear as opponents tire. .

He'd be hounded out of Palmerston with such an approach! 

I kid you not, there were a couple of guys behind me yesterday criticising Airdrie from passing it out from the back so relentlessly :lol:

Passing the ball about in your own half is fine when you’re playing against plumbers and electricians but next season when queens are back in the championship they might have to revert to hoofball against superior opposition. 

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Passing the ball about in your own half is fine when you’re playing against plumbers and electricians but next season when queens are back in the championship they might have to revert to hoofball against superior opposition. 

I hope I don't get a leaky ballcock or a blown fuse when there's football on, it seems all the part time players are either plumbers or electricians, might be difficult to get a tradesman out. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of part-timers are neither plumbers or electricians though.

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I hope I don't get a leaky ballcock or a blown fuse when there's football on, it seems all the part time players are either plumbers or electricians, might be difficult to get a tradesman out. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of part-timers are neither plumbers or electricians though.

You’re right. They’re all joiners and plasterers (or at least the ones that play for Annan are) 

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

...  It is likely to be the weakest L1 title race for some time so the winners may not need to be anything special ...

^^^ Very much this! This is a huge opportunity for several of this season's L1 clubs including Queens. The one exception might have been ICT but they're very kindly trying to make a total arse of things at the worst possible time (for them).

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

.... the Palmerston injury curse seems to be affecting new signings who hitherto have had good career playing records ...

^^^ Just had a radical thought  ... How about next summer we sign two or three perennial crocks who have a career history of being injured, then maybe the rest of our squad might be OK, aye? 😎😏🫣 (Bit of "blue" sky thinking there folks ...)

6 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

You’re right. They’re all joiners and plasterers (or at least the ones that play for Annan are) 

Aye, the plasterer's handy for doing the ceilings.

9 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You tried to get hold of a plumber recently?