The Queen of the South thread

A wee reminder that Queens Trust memberships are now due for 2013/14.

And don't forget all memberships received by 28th August will be in with the chance to WIN a season ticket! One season ticket available for adults and one season ticket for OAP/u16/student/concessions.

Please email joetulip1919@hotmail.co.uk for payment details or if you require any further information.

You should know that voicing concerns puts you into the negative not a real fan corner.

In the current boss we trust.

I do trust McIntyre. I dont agree with his choice of keeper, or playing Dowie ahead of Durnan. But they are two fairly minor negatives in what has been a very positive start to the season.

There is nothing fans love more than having a scapegoat.

It appears the theme this year is the new signings.

So who would you say was at fault for the goals on Saturday? This is nothing to do with scapegoats. The new signings were obviously going to come in for more scrutiny than the others. In the case of Dowie, the question of whether he should play ahead of Durnan is a perfectly valid one. Discussing that, and concluding he doesnt, isnt the same as making him a scapegoat. If it had been Higgins who I thought could have done better for the goals then Id have no problem in saying so.

I'd imagine we'll be have similar discussions when Danny is fit as to which two of him, Paton and Russell should start.

Edited by Mr X

I do trust McIntyre. I dont agree with his choice of keeper, or playing Dowie ahead of Durnan. But they are two fairly minor negatives in what has been a very positive start to the season.

I'd imagine we'll be have similar discussions when Danny is fit as to which two of him, Paton and Russell should start.

Shipping 3 goals is hardly a minor negative

I've not watched the highlights but from memory probably Mitchell for the first and Antell for the other two.

That's my point though. I don't think it's the norm for each and every mistake to be scrutinised like this.

I find the criticism of Dowie particularly baffling as he hasn't put a foot wrong.

I've not watched the highlights but from memory probably Mitchell for the first and Antell for the other two.That's my point though. I don't think it's the norm for each and every mistake to be scrutinised like this.I find the criticism of Dowie particularly baffling as he hasn't put a foot wrong.

You are right about Mitchell and Antell although I have seen better protection given to keepers.

Reckon Durnan is being left out because Dowie is more experienced at this level.

I've not watched the highlights but from memory probably Mitchell for the first and Antell for the other two.

That's my point though. I don't think it's the norm for each and every mistake to be scrutinised like this.

I find the criticism of Dowie particularly baffling as he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Whoa there, making Antell a scapegoat, are you?

Flash asked the question and its since been discussed, whats wrong with that? Its too easy to blame the keeper - who lets face it could be a very easy scapegoat - without looking at the protection he's getting.

You must be watching a different Dowie then. As has been discussed, he could certainly have done better for the first two goals on Saturday. That aside, he is always going to come in for far more scrutiny than anyone else, simply, because he has taken the place of a player who did fantastically well last season.

There is nothing fans love more than having a scapegoat.

It appears the theme this year is the new signings.

It is normal when a club is promoted for it to try to strengthen.

Ok, it would be virtually impossible to get a better keeper than Robinson at this level, so we have to accept that.

However, we haven't lost Durnan. Therefore, for the defence to be improved, you'd expect Dowie to be better than him. This is what the debate is about and it is perfectly valid. Why change 25% of your defence unless the change is going to make it better?

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

I just get the impression from some that they have made their mind up on certain players without giving them a chance. Russell was taking a fair amount of flak prior to his MotM performance against the league favourites.

Could say the same about the manager.

We won our first game of the season, against the supposed best team in the league. I would hate to have read this thread if we had been beaten. It will take time to get up and running and to criticise after 1 game is a bit over the top. The manager will no doubt have had a look at the video of the game and will get the lads working on their game and we should see improvement every week.

I just get the impression from some that they have made their mind up on certain players without giving them a chance.

Russell was taking a fair amount of flak prior to his MotM performance against the league favourites.

We've seen the new players in 6 games now. Thats enough to begin to form an opinion. I dont think anyone has written any player off yet, but Antell cant continue to gift goals like he did on Saturday - surely, that isnt up for debate?

I dont remember seeing anyone give Russell "flak". Several, including me, questioned whether or not it would work playing him out wide. Theres no doubt it did on Saturday, so credit to the manager of getting that one right

We won our first game of the season, against the supposed best team in the league. I would hate to have read this thread if we had been beaten. It will take time to get up and running and to criticise after 1 game is a bit over the top. The manager will no doubt have had a look at the video of the game and will get the lads working on their game and we should see improvement every week.

It isnt one game, though. Does it really matter if we won or lost the game? Conceding soft goals like that is a cause for concern, why should we not then discuss it? Isnt that what forums are for?

It isnt one game, though. Does it really matter if we won or lost the game? Conceding soft goals like that is a cause for concern, why should we not then discuss it? Isnt that what forums are for?

No, I think they are for saying how wonderful your team is and nothing else because if you are critical all the people who hang on your every word and who read your opinion before deciding whether or not to attend games won't go.

Or else the players might read it and we all know what a sensitive bunch of poor wee souls Scottish footballers are.

Or the manager might see it and think the knives are out and he won't be able to sleep at night.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, the comments are read by about 20 folk, most of whom couldn't give a shit what you say.

I just get the impression from some that they have made their mind up on certain players without giving them a chance.

Russell was taking a fair amount of flak prior to his MotM performance against the league favourites.

Would agree with you there. There are certain fans on here that don't seem to be open to change.

As I have said before replacing Robinson was always going to be a tough ask and without spending money I think we were always struggling to find a ready made replacement. I wasn't at the last 2 games but in the games I've been to so far dowie has looked decent enough.

Would agree with you there. There are certain fans on here that don't seem to be open to change.

As I have said before replacing Robinson was always going to be a tough ask and without spending money I think we were always struggling to find a ready made replacement. I wasn't at the last 2 games but in the games I've been to so far dowie has looked decent enough.

What an utterly bizarre thing to say. We've changed manager and formation. We've changed the pitch. We've changed the centre forward and have a new signing on the wing. We've seen McKenna play further forward. All positive changes. Yet, commenting on two changes that are causing concern and somehow that equates to "not open to change"? Seriously?

Robinson was a great keeper and we were lucky to have him, no doubt. However, Im struggling to understand how having a good keeper last season precludes anyone from commenting on the current keeper.

94 years today Queens played their first game, I'm sure the team selection would have been more complicated then, players ruled out with Cholera, a very depleted playing pool and playing on a bumpy muddy pitch.

BRzOnDbCEAEiMnt.jpg

Edited by Sloop John B

What an utterly bizarre thing to say. We've changed manager and formation. We've changed the pitch. We've changed the centre forward and have a new signing on the wing. We've seen McKenna play further forward. All positive changes. Yet, commenting on two changes that are causing concern and somehow that equates to "not open to change"? Seriously?

Robinson was a great keeper and we were lucky to have him, no doubt. However, Im struggling to understand how having a good keeper last season precludes anyone from commenting on the current keeper.

It was a tongue in cheek comment regarding cammys post about people making their minds up BEFORE anyone had seen them play. Hardly bizarre.

Again I'm referring to how he was judged before he had pulled on a queens jersey, you can criticise him all you want. All I've ever said was that replacing Robinson was always going to be tough especially finding a ready made replacement. Any mistakes I've seen him make have been confidence mistakes, you'll not like when I say this and will have a answer for it as per but for a keeper confidence is a major tool that a keeper needs in his locker also experience. Without confidence you will find that the keeper will hesitate at crosses and tend to make big mistakes. It's a total cliche but when a keeper makes a mistake it tends to end up in the net so it adds a extra bit of pressure to every cross he comes for. Another cliche for you while I'm at it is that all keepers make mistakes I think you only need to look as far back as Wednesday night to realise this!

It was a tongue in cheek comment regarding cammys post about people making their minds up BEFORE anyone had seen them play. Hardly bizarre.

Again I'm referring to how he was judged before he had pulled on a queens jersey, you can criticise him all you want. All I've ever said was that replacing Robinson was always going to be tough especially finding a ready made replacement. Any mistakes I've seen him make have been confidence mistakes, you'll not like when I say this and will have a answer for it as per but for a keeper confidence is a major tool that a keeper needs in his locker also experience. Without confidence you will find that the keeper will hesitate at crosses and tend to make big mistakes. It's a total cliche but when a keeper makes a mistake it tends to end up in the net so it adds a extra bit of pressure to every cross he comes for. Another cliche for you while I'm at it is that all keepers make mistakes I think you only need to look as far back as Wednesday night to realise this!

Tongue in cheek doesnt really come across on the interweb!

Unfortunately the comments made about Antell before he signed have, so far, turned out to be right. Im not entirely convinced, though, that anyone had made their mind up about him before he signed, particularly.

I totally agree about keepers and confidence and I hope he doesnt let the two mistakes on Saturday get to him. I would disagree, though, that the two mistakes on Saturday were "confidence mistakes". He went for two high balls and didnt do well enough on either. Other than that he's done well and has the potential to be a good keeper, but him and the defence need to work out a way to deal with cross balls, and soon.