The Queen of the South thread

Durnan has to play on Tuesday night.

It's so obvious that I bet he doesn't. Seriously.

I know where you are coming from with so obvious that it won't happen . There is a tried and trusted quote that goes for lots of things and not just football along the lines of not broken dont fix etc. I say Durnan MUST start playing asap and be allowed to settle back into the team ie get a run of games . We all know what he can do and is very able at this level .We cannot rely on scoring three or four every week to win or draw . I am reminded of a post from a Pars fan ( on here ) that said that JMc would make you an attacking team with a suspect defence . Well , on evidence so far !

The defence is absolutely shambolic. Zero confidence in Antell and either do the defenders as a few times ball was comfortably travelling through to him and the defenders were cutting it out. Lee would be screaming for it to be left for him to deal with it. Thought we were quite poor today with Lyle having a poor day, but if we can get points when not at our best I think we will be pretty happy. Paton struggled to get involved today but did brilliantly to set up our third.

He's not Lee though, when will people start to realise that?

He played ok today, couldn't do much about any of the goals. I would also put Durnan back in the team but really can't see it happening any time soon.

The defence is absolutely shambolic. Zero confidence in Antell and either do the defenders as a few times ball was comfortably travelling through to him and the defenders were cutting it out. Lee would be screaming for it to be left for him to deal with it. Thought we were quite poor today with Lyle having a poor day, but if we can get points when not at our best I think we will be pretty happy. Paton struggled to get involved today but did brilliantly to set up our third.

He's not Lee though, when will people start to realise that?

He played ok today, couldn't do much about any of the goals. I would also put Durnan back in the team but really can't see it happening any time soon.

Why do you say that though ? Do you think McIntyre is blind to the weaknesses in his team so won't try to fix it ?

In fact he played well today.

He gathered in a few hard shots in text book fashion.

He caught a couple of high balls competently.

I had been bothered a bit about his bravery on the ground but he came out and gathered a ball at the feet of an advancing forward in the first half.

His stop against a fierce McNulty shot in the second half was top class.

He is warming up at livingston on the pitch. Not in squad so permit not sorted yet

Arrived at 2.40 and he wasn't out on pitch.

He was at Livingston today doing some running, Slattery was also Pitch at same time same as last week when Kev was on alongside the injured Young.

The game wasn't the best performance from queens Antell, Burns Paton & Russell the best for me. Lyle not involved as much today, time to freshen up the midfield and defence with Young & Durnan for the cup game on tuesdsay.

Antell was fine, he kept us in the game and wasn't at fault for any of the goals. The omnishambles in the centre of defence is both Higgins and Dowie's doing.

Might well be right but i'm pretty sure the Robinson would have kept at least one (2nd out) and maybe 2 out. Think the importance of losing Robinson will evident throughout this season, and hes a vey hard act to follow for Antell.

He was at Livingston today doing some running, Slattery was also Pitch at same time same as last week when Kev was on alongside the injured Young.

The game wasn't the best performance from queens Antell, Burns Paton & Russell the best for me. Lyle not involved as much today, time to freshen up the midfield and defence with Young & Durnan for the cup game on tuesdsay.

On tuesday I would be looking to start all those on the bench yeasterday and play McGuffie and Durnan at the back as neither Dowie or Higgins seem to have any confidence at the moment.

Edited by Hawk

The reality is if Queens keep conceding three goals a game then we are going to lose a lot of games this season.

The defence is the number one priority for the manager to deal with.

Just listened to Sandra Browns interviews and nothing said about the defence?

Just listened to Sandra Browns interviews and nothing said about the defence?

She does not exactly have a reputation for asking the hard-hitting questions.

I am concerned about our defensive frailties and expect McIntryre to freshen things up on Tuesday. Durnan must come in to shore up the defence.

As much as I like Durns I don't think bringing him back in is necessarily going to solve our problems. We big time need to tighten up on set pieces just getting tighter to men and also be sensible on who's marking who, at one point yesterday we had burnsey on mensing who hadn't missed a thing in the air!!

Edited by qos1990

4 points from the first two league games and still in both cups yet coming on here you'd think it was all doom and gloom! I'd hate to see you lot if queens had started like Carlisle!

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, shipping 6 goals in two league games is a cause for concern and demands the scrutiny and debate that it is receiving.

I wasn't at this one so I can't comment on the individual performances of our defenders, and obviously 6 goals conceded in 2 games suggests something is wrong.

What I will say is that McIntyre has us set up in a very attacking formation, with 3 attackers and the full-backs encouraged to push up.

It will require more than just a change of personnel to tighten the defence up, and our attacking threat will be diminished as a result.

McIntyre's job is to find the correct balance between defence and attack.

Looks like being an exciting season anyway (oh and we're still unbeaten a fact which might slip under the radar).

I wasn't at this one so I can't comment on the individual performances of our defenders, and obviously 6 goals conceded in 2 games suggests something is wrong.

What I will say is that McIntyre has us set up in a very attacking formation, with 3 attackers and the full-backs encouraged to push up.

It will require more than just a change of personnel to tighten the defence up, and our attacking threat will be diminished as a result.

McIntyre's job is to find the correct balance between defence and attack.

Looks like being an exciting season anyway (oh and we're still unbeaten a fact which might slip under the radar).

Our defending hasnt been great, and youre right part of that is the formation. However, the far more pressing concern is the defending of set pieces.

Our defending hasnt been great, and youre right part of that is the formation. However, the far more pressing concern is the defending of set pieces.

That's true. The formation should leave us exposed in open play, but it's from set-pieces that we're really struggling.

As I said before though, we looked weak from them last season so to place on the blame on Antell is harsh (and to be fair no-one really is after yesterday).

I think it's asking a lot to expect a 21 year old defender who has never played at this level to come in and be a miracle cure.

It's also interesting to note that Higgins appears to have had a nightmare yesterday, but it is Dowie everyone is calling for to be dropped.

Time to get POSITIVE stop the negativity.

Look we are up a division. It's gonna be harder with more or less the same squad that got us promoted last season, we are unbeaten after 2 league games and still in both cup competitions.

Lets get behind the manager and players.

Up the South.

Agree with above but this is our best chance of getting into SPL for maybe a good few years. Would be gutted if we miss out on play offs which could easily happen. We have more than enough firepower to make it but these silly errors at the back will cost us dear.

Edited by Broony88

That's true. The formation should leave us exposed in open play, but it's from set-pieces that we're really struggling.

As I said before though, we looked weak from them last season so to place on the blame on Antell is harsh (and to be fair no-one really is after yesterday).

I think it's asking a lot to expect a 21 year old defender who has never played at this level to come in and be a miracle cure.

It's also interesting to note that Higgins appears to have had a nightmare yesterday, but it is Dowie everyone is calling for to be dropped.

Higgins didnt have a nightmare yesterday. Neither did Dowie, to be fair, but again he was partly at fault for one of the goals. McGuffie totally lost his man for the second and everyone should have done better for the third!

I dont think Durnan is a miracle cure. Just on what Ive seen of him and Dowie, I would pick Durnan.

I won't be too brutal on Antell, but there were a couple of times yesterday that the ball was there for the taking in the 6 yard box and he stayed on his line. Whether a GK lacks confidence, is a line-GK or whatever other reason/excuse, it's basic goalkeeping that any high ball in the 6 yard box is the goalkeepers to claim or at the very least he should be challenging for it.

It's obvious he doesn't like to come and collect and you could argue the defence need to help him out, but they can't help him perform the basics.

Also, I think the manager/board should be looking for a goalkeeper coach to help the guy. Catching unchallenged crosses from Atkinson will never improve his ability.

That's about as positive a spin I can put on it :ph34r:

FWIW Antell was at fault for at least one goal yesterday. Incase anyone forgot, he failed to deal with a shot from outside the box and managed to fumble it out for a corner. You know the rest!

I'm prepared for the slating - "Give him a chance", "He wasn't to blame", "He's young" blah blah blah. You can be 'positive' all you want, it won't change facts.

2 games in and we'd be sitting top if we had been able to deal with set pieces. I stress the amount of games just now, because we will continue to concede set pieces all season, I just wonder what number will be all the positive petes tipping point ;)