The Queen of the South thread

I think its fairly simple over young Atkinson. Queens don't want another expensive ( in terms of wages) goalkeeper on the books if all he is doing is warming the bench. They are willing to take the gamble on young Jim being on the bench, with the worst case scenario being that he will have to fill in as cover for 30 or 40 minutes if Antell gets injured during a match. If the injury is serious and Antell was going to be out for a while then they would seek another keeper on an emergency loan until he was fit again.

Simples.

I think its fairly simple over young Atkinson. Queens don't want another expensive ( in terms of wages) goalkeeper on the books if all he is doing is warming the bench. They are willing to take the gamble on young Jim being on the bench, with the worst case scenario being that he will have to fill in as cover for 30 or 40 minutes if Antell gets injured during a match. If the injury is serious and Antell was going to be out for a while then they would seek another keeper on an emergency loan until he was fit again.

Simples.

Is anyone doubting this fairly obvious fact?

Simples.

Eh? But is that not the whole point we've just signed a new goal keeper on loan, or did I dream it.

Off topic ex queens player S Dobbie has been left out of Crystal Palaces 25 man squad registered for the premiership. Dobbie cant be in now until at Jan.

I presume that means he'll be off somewhere on loan then?

Off topic ex queens player S Dobbie has been left out of Crystal Palaces 25 man squad registered for the premiership. Dobbie cant be in now until at Jan.

Why did they sign him then? I'd stick on some money on whatever team he goes on loan to get promoted.

Edited by Sloop John B

Hero or not to a lot of Queens fans , the fact is that he has never been considered fit or sharp enough to play at the highest level by numerous managers.

Championship is his level - he's been unlucky that every team he plays for gets promoted :). He was one of the better players on display last season when I went to see Palace. He's never going to match a lot of players in that league for work-rate but he makes things happen.

Stephen Dobbie is both the most talented and one of the laziest players I have ever seen. I wouldn't envy managing him.

If you put "one of" in between "both" and "the" then you are describing Willie McLaren for me.

I know it will sound daft, but I didn't think Dobbie was a particularly 'lazy' player, more that his style of play was to make things happen when he got the ball; which is exactly what he did. There are loads of strikers who do very little to contribute defensively or even pressure opposition defenders, but give them the ball and you see what they do. A perfect example is Mario Gomez. At the last major tournament he was the top goalscorer at one stage but had only been on the ball for under 20 minutes in total; I can't remember stats, but it was incredible. There was no need for Dobbs to chase every ball anyway, as we had Sean in the team. We have had plenty of headless chicken type strikers at QoS in the past few years , O'Connor, Weir, Kean etc. and I would have a Dobbie-type player back any day of the week.

Best player to ever play for Queen's.

In recent years at least, without question. Special mention must go to Lee Bailey though :ph34r::lol: