The Queen of the South thread

You'll never get all fans to agree on anything but there is now a big split on whether Fowler should get the job or not. If he does get it, not good that half support and growing does not think he is ready yet. If he had been offered job when it became available or indeed after Falkirk or Hibs then support would have been totally behind him

Well base it on todays 90 mins if it makes you less insecure

No, thats just as ludicrous. A bad 45 minute performance, even as bad as one today, doesnt suddenly make him a bad manager. In much the same way as the win against Falkirk last week doesnt make him a good manager.

He's had a longer trial than most prospective new managers would get.

Yes and no. What he says off the field, in terms of an "interview", and his ideas on how to run the footballing side of the club are, or should be, far more important than results in the games as caretaker - unless they are consistently really bad or really good.

No, thats just as ludicrous. A bad 45 minute performance, even as bad as one today, doesnt suddenly make him a bad manager. In much the same way as the win against Falkirk last week doesnt make him a good manager.

Yes and no. What he says off the field, in terms of an "interview", and his ideas on how to run the footballing side of the club are, or should be, far more important than results in the games as caretaker - unless they are consistently really bad or really good.

Never said he was a bad manager. What i said was he would benefit from being a no2 for a season or two. I would love fowler to get job one day but today showed its maybe a little early in his career. Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

I agree, but it would be ludicrous to pretend that performance during an acting stint in charge would be irrelevant. It certainly wouldn't be in my line of work or, I'd imagine, yours.

Based on that, he's done ok, but no better. There is a bigger picture which we're not privy to (rightly), but the bit we've got is inconclusive, at best.

I agree, but it would be ludicrous to pretend that performance during an acting stint in charge would be irrelevant. It certainly wouldn't be in my line of work or, I'd imagine, yours. Based on that, he's done ok, but no better. There is a bigger picture which we're not privy to (rightly), but the bit we've got is inconclusive, at best.

No of course it isnt irrelevant. As you say, though, he has done ok over the games he has been in charge. The first 45 minutes today contribute to that "ok" but to take them in isolation and use them to make the decision would be nonsense.

No of course it isnt irrelevant. As you say, though, he has done ok over the games he has been in charge. The first 45 minutes today contribute to that "ok" but to take them in isolation and use them to make the decision would be nonsense.

Well then, we agree.

A 45 minutes in which our set-up appeared to hamper us badly against ostensibly weaker opposition however, shouldn't be totally discarded either.

I think we both see the jury as out.

Well then, we agree. A 45 minutes in which our set-up appeared to hamper us badly against ostensibly weaker opposition however, shouldn't be totally discarded either. I think we both see the jury as out.

Yes, I think we do agree.

I wouldnt go as far as to say our set-up contributed that much to our first half display. No more, or less, than the changes at half time contributed to the second half improvement

I wouldnt go as far as to say our set-up contributed that much to our first half display. No more, or less, than the changes at half time contributed to the second half improvement

Please explain why not.

Im not sure what you want me to explain

Just this.

Just this.

Well, it didnt contribute to the passes that were a yard short. It didnt contribute to the fact that Cowden were sharper than us and quicker to the ball. Neither did it contribute to the awful defending for both goals. It certainly didnt contribute to Clark coming for a ball he was never getting for the second goal.

Fowler changed things at half time and we looked better. A small part of that was the formation change, a bigger part was that Cowden sat and defended their lead.

Therefore, the first half formation didnt contribute that much to our first half display and the change at half time didnt contribute that much to our second half display.

ETA - it was the first goal Clark came for and got nowhere near, not the second!

Edited by Mr X

Well, it didnt contribute to the passes that were a yard short. It didnt contribute to the fact that Cowden were sharper than us and quicker to the ball. Neither did it contribute to the awful defending for both goals. It certainly didnt contribute to Clark coming for a ball he was never getting for the second goal.

Fowler changed things at half time and we looked better. A small part of that was the formation change, a bigger part was that Cowden sat and defended their lead.

Therefore, the first half formation didnt contribute that much to our first half display and the change at half time didnt contribute that much to our second half display.

Ok if you think that's the case I'll not waste my time typing any more!!!

Are you honestly telling me this daft 4-2-3-1 wasn't to blame for the performance in the first half ? Why do you think the ball kept coming back ? We were playing 1 up against a 5 at times as Lyle has zero clue where he is meant to be. The ball stuck once or twice with Gav and when it did the support was shocking and we would end up on the back foot again. The formation was to blame as surely you select the formation to suit the opposition or if not maybe Fowler and Co need to put a little more thought into that part. When you think about it it always is going to be a mismatch as they also have an extra man in the centre of midfield to overrun our central pairing which is exactly what happened today. Our long balls were swept up into the midfield and we lost that battle and all of a sudden they are in the final third and we are under pressure. I think we should avoid Fowler as our boss on this occasion, three very poor performances for me our defence got us the points v Hibs as we created nothing and threatened twice if we were lucky, at Falkirk it was a case of two poor sides battling out a point.

Edited by Broony88

One bad result this year and we're up in arms.

What do we geniuinely expect from this season ? and as a season to test a new manager out there no time better than the present.

Exactly this. I think some people need to take a breath/count to 10/take a reality check!

The obsession some people have with formations continues to bemuse me. Doesnt really matter that much how we line up, if players are playing well they will pass the ball and move into spaces. If they arenot then they won't. The formation isnt the reason we spent the first half yesterday largely unable to complete a forward pass to feet or a step behind the Cowden players.

We basically didnt turn up until half time and thats not good enough. The same group have been very good so far this season though. Lets hope they are back on form next weekend.