The Queen of the South thread

No inference.....I was merely treating overthetop's outrageous and offensive statement that "anyone who buys or reads it is a moron" with the contempt it deserves.

No, you inferred that he probably wishes The Sun used pictures of men in the paper instead of women, and that made him have some kind of dislike of the newspaper. FWIW, I think that 'Page 3' is an oudated 'institution' that should have been put to bed along with the News of the World.

All tabloids are pretty much created to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why the Scottish Sun will devote page upon page to Rangers and Celtic, whilst giving every other team a page or two between them; and the English version (and it's Fleet Street cousins) fawn over Man U, Chelsea etc over everyone else. That's not saying that all readers of The Sun are morons, but their entire USP is to sell to those in that bracket. You can't really knock it though as it sells papers and makes Murdoch money - he's not daft.

He also scored in the closed door friendlies against Clyde and Gateshead. I don't think there's much doubt he was expected to be the first choice striker in pre-season, partnering Reilly. He looked really sharp in pre-season but his injury right at the end of it let Lyle in and he's deserved to keep his place since.

I expect he'll prove his worth when he does eventually get a run of games though.

You are probably correct in the games he has scored. I was only counting the fixtures that appear on the Club's Official Site and not closed doors bounce games.

I've been really disappointed and unimpressed by Baird so far, although I suspect that's probably unfair.

He'd always looked really lively and dangerous against us for Raith, but we've not yet seen that. I remember seeing his stats when he joined and was surprised to see that he's not really been all that prolific in the past, but he's still obviously had a decent career.

He's maybe not yet fit and he's certainly not getting long to prove himself when he does appear. The ball seems to bounce off him, but it's maybe a bit reminiscent of how Carmichael struggled during last season's cameos and only a run of games can remedy a loss of confidence and a tendency to try too hard.

No, you inferred that he probably wishes The Sun used pictures of men in the paper instead of women, and that made him have some kind of dislike of the newspaper. FWIW, I think that 'Page 3' is an oudated 'institution' that should have been put to bed along with the News of the World.

All tabloids are pretty much created to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why the Scottish Sun will devote page upon page to Rangers and Celtic, whilst giving every other team a page or two between them; and the English version (and it's Fleet Street cousins) fawn over Man U, Chelsea etc over everyone else. That's not saying that all readers of The Sun are morons, but their entire USP is to sell to those in that bracket. You can't really knock it though as it sells papers and makes Murdoch money -

he's not daft.

Glad you've got that off your chest Quitongo.....sorry, pun not intended!

That's obvious I'm saying that if we are going to persist with 4-2-3-1 in effect neither Lyle or Baird should be considered for that role in behind Reilly.

I agree. But with Paton injured, they are the only two choices.

Can you say that we are playing with two strikers if one is sitting deeper, surely that's an advanced midfielder. If you are playing 2 strikers surely they partner each other up front ( I refuse to use the term "up top")

I think you can when that "advanced midfielder" is a striker ;)

I'd make some kind of comment along the lines of "16 minutes equates to a season's worth of highlights for Cowdenbeath", but that'd be too easy.

I think it is an excellently put together package, and a great addition to the website. I agree though it can be too long. I rarely watch it all the way through, usually skipping to the major incidents.

Former player Ryan McGuffie in action tonight. Last 16 of the FFA cup (Australia's version of the Scottish Cup) clash between St Albans Saints and A-League side Perth Glory.

F/T St Albans Saints 1-4 Perth Glory, goal scorer for Saints? R. McGuffie (pen)!

ByNo0ITCEAE9Gvk.jpg

Edited by Swarley

Just as a wee side note is there any reason why your highlights are so long? 16 minutes seems quite excessive for anyone. I can't imagine many people sit through them all.

Theres about 2 or 3 minutes of the warm up and the players leaving the field. The last 5mins or so are interviews with the managers and players.

ETA - the Fowler interview has the "give me the job or I quit" line. It couldnt be more clear that he was joking

Edited by Mr X

Just as a wee side note is there any reason why your highlights are so long? 16 minutes seems quite excessive for anyone. I can't imagine many people sit through them all.

I sit through them but I agree, they could do with a tad more editing. Think that's just wishful thinking though, overall I'm happy that we have access to extended highlights.

Any idea how many tickets Hearts have for this game & has the Terregles Street End capacity been increased since the recent upgrade ?!

According to the OS it looks like it's going to be the same set up for the Hibs game ie half the new stand plus the Terregles end. Encouraging to read that Hearts have indicated that they expect to sell out their allocation....hopefully we can get a few more Doonhamers along, considering the good start to the season we've had.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Terregles end capacity was expected to be around the 1800 mark following the upgrade.

I find it very disappointing and frustrating that there is a lack of regular updates coming out of Palmy these days on all matters surrounding the club. Regardless what everybody thought of him, the regular Q&A section by Mark Robinson on the OS a few seasons ago was a great idea........Very informative and also helped to forge a link between fans and directors.........The new regime please take note!!!

According to the OS it looks like it's going to be the same set up for the Hibs game ie half the new stand plus the Terregles end. Encouraging to read that Hearts have indicated that they expect to sell out their allocation....hopefully we can get a few more Doonhamers along, considering the good start to the season we've had.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Terregles end capacity was expected to be around the 1800 mark following the upgrade.

I find it very disappointing and frustrating that there is a lack of regular updates coming out of Palmy these days on all matters surrounding the club. Regardless what everybody thought of him, the regular Q&A section by Mark Robinson on the OS a few seasons ago was a great idea........Very informative and also helped to forge a link between fans and directors.........The new regime please take note!!!

What kind of thing do you think is going on that youre not being told about?

ETA - thats a genuine question, by the way

Edited by Mr X

Search for a manager for a start.

The silence and delay is a poor show

Hasn't been any silence sure the chairman told of over 30 applications with some very good interesting ones, also said they wouldn't be rushing into getting there man in place and were doing more interviews etc this week.

The delay hasn't caused the team any problems 4 great points since Mcintyres resegnation.