The Queen of the South thread

Fowler assistant is the key for me. Johnston got Clark I would like to see Fowler get say Danny Lennon or Willie McStay in both have good experience.

Very much doubt if Lennon would be interested in coming in as Assistant working under an inexperienced Manager. Possibly if the money was right it could happen. IIRC Clark hadn't held any notable Managerial posts for quite a while and had more or less settled into a coaching/Assistants role within the game. McStay may be more open to such an position but he too would possibly only be interested until he secured a Managers job of his own. If Danny Lennon and Willie Mcstay have applied for the vacant Managers job, or any of the other applicants for that matter, and Fowler was appointed, would they be happy to be offered the Assistants role. I don't think so.

For me, it still seems an unnecessary gamble to give Fowler the job permanently at such an early stage.

Whats the big rush? Queens hold all the aces here, we dont need to do anything rash.

Let him do the job for a few more weeks and see how it goes.

Long term contracts would appear to be a pretty meaningless concept these days anyway.

The sun is the most detestable excuse of a newspaper and anyone who buys or reads it is a moron.

Considering it is probably the highest selling daily tabloid there must be a lot of "morons" out there. Thank goodness we have righteous, self appointed moralists like you to point out our deficiencies.

Cheers. I buy it and read it Monday to Friday.

I take it you buy a different one each day and not one to last the whole week.

Considering it is probably the highest selling daily tabloid there must be a lot of "morons" out there. Thank goodness we have righteous, self appointed moralists like you to point out our deficiencies.

I take it you buy a different one each day and not one to last the whole week.

Of course us "morons do".....no point in looking at the same naked bird each day.

I guess overthetop is harbouring a grudge with the Sun as they no longer have a page 7 fella to brighten up his sad, monotonous day for him!

If I do happen to look at page 3 in the Sun it is to read what insightful thoughts that the lady posing there has on the latest economic or political topic under discussion. I have never seen them stuck for an answer no matter what the topic is. It's probably because they are so engrossed in local and world issues that they haven't the time to dress properly.

It surprises me a bit that people talk about limited options on the bench because of the number of injuries we have, mainly to midfield players, yet we have a midfielder/defender like Pat Slattery sitting there with what seems like no chance of being brought on. This is a player who was beginning to show real promise under Johnston, but who has since had little, if any, involvement under McIntyre and now Fowler. It seems that we are basically operating with a 1st team squad of 15 players, the 11 who started yesterday plus Kev D, Kidd, Baird and Atkinson as back up keeper. Can we complain too much about the number of injuries we have causing us problems when we have a player such as Slattery who doesn't seem to be getting a chance. With the likes of Kerr and Paton not far off returning to action the chances of Slattery making any input will be further diminished. He must be wondering if his future may lie elsewhere.

What's happened with John Baird? Is that him just getting back from injury now? Not seen him score as of yet.

Mostly limited to some late subs appearances. Still doesn't look 100% match fit and not really getting game time to achieve that. Started the League Cup Tie up at Livi but service to him was poor with high balls or overhit passes for him to run onto. Looked relieved to be subbed that night. Not really showing enough to impress most fans but he's obviously got some good touches and could do well with the right service. Playing with one up front, and young Reilly being favoured just now, Bairds chances of starts are limited.

ETA: Just checked and he has only scored two goals in a pre-season against Rotherham Utd Development team.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

It surprises me a bit that people talk about limited options on the bench because of the number of injuries we have, mainly to midfield players, yet we have a midfielder/defender like Pat Slattery sitting there with what seems like no chance of being brought on. This is a player who was beginning to show real promise under Johnston, but who has since had little, if any, involvement under McIntyre and now Fowler. It seems that we are basically operating with a 1st team squad of 15 players, the 11 who started yesterday plus Kev D, Kidd, Baird and Atkinson as back up keeper. Can we complain too much about the number of injuries we have causing us problems when we have a player such as Slattery who doesn't seem to be getting a chance. With the likes of Kerr and Paton not far off returning to action the chances of Slattery making any input will be further diminished. He must be wondering if his future may lie elsewhere.

A couple of decent performances against poor opposition isnt really something to get carried away with. McIntyre gave other young players game time. If Slattery was good enough he'd be playing

Mostly limited to some late subs appearances. Still doesn't look 100% match fit and not really getting game time to achieve that. Started the League Cup Tie up at Livi but service to him was poor with high balls or overhit passes for him to run onto. Looked relieved to be subbed that night. Not really showing enough to impress most fans but he's obviously got some good touches and could do well with the right service. Playing with one up front, and young Reilly being favoured just now, Bairds chances of starts are limited.

ETA: Just checked and he has only scored two goals in a pre-season against Rotherham Utd Development team.

The only time we've started with one up top was that League Cup game at Livi.

He also scored in the closed door friendlies against Clyde and Gateshead. I don't think there's much doubt he was expected to be the first choice striker in pre-season, partnering Reilly. He looked really sharp in pre-season but his injury right at the end of it let Lyle in and he's deserved to keep his place since.

I expect he'll prove his worth when he does eventually get a run of games though.

Of course us "morons do".....no point in looking at the same naked bird each day.

I guess overthetop is harbouring a grudge with the Sun as they no longer have a page 7 fella to brighten up his sad, monotonous day for him!

What's the inference here exactly? That because he doesn't like The Sun's objectification of women he's a homosexual?

I thought that kind of chat died with the Sun's credibility after Hillsborough. Apparently not.

A couple of decent performances against poor opposition isnt really something to get carried away with. McIntyre gave other young players game time. If Slattery was good enough he'd be playing

The only time we've started with one up top was that League Cup game at Livi.

Not quite right, we have played 4-2-3-1 away to Rangers, Falkirk and at home on Saturday to Hibs. Lyle is playing in the middle of Danny and Russell.

Not quite right, we have played 4-2-3-1 away to Rangers, Falkirk and at home on Saturday to Hibs. Lyle is playing in the middle of Danny and Russell.

Lyle has been dropping deeper but its still basically a 4-4-2, in my opinion, but its splitting hairs somewhat to argue about it. The point, really, was that Bairds chances arent being limited by the formation. We've started with two strikers in each game, bar one, and Baird could have been either of them, if selected. He isnt getting a game because Reilly and Lyle are in better form

Lyle has been dropping deeper but its still basically a 4-4-2, in my opinion, but its splitting hairs somewhat to argue about it. The point, really, was that Bairds chances arent being limited by the formation. We've started with two strikers in each game, bar one, and Baird could have been either of them, if selected. He isnt getting a game because Reilly and Lyle are in better form

Totally disagree about the 4-4-2 it's not basically that, Reilly was isolated far too often on Saturday and at Falkirk the week before. Lyle isn't cut out for that role imo but either is Baird. It's a role made for a tricky player that you want to get on the ball as often as possible. Would argue Lyle isn't really on form and he has started much like last season banging them in early cup and odd league game and then they dried up. Paton would be my choice in that role or even Russell moving Paton wide.

Edited by Broony88

Totally disagree about the 4-4-2 it's not basically that, Reilly was isolated far too often on Saturday and at Falkirk the week before. Lyle isn't cut out for that role imo but either is Baird. It's a role made for a tricky player that you want to get on the ball as often as possible. Would argue Lyle isn't really on form and he has started much like last season banging them in early cup and odd league game and then they dried up. Paton would be my choice in that role or even Russell moving Paton wide.

As I said, whether you want to look at it as a 4-4-2 with a deeper striker or as Lyle playing off the front, the point is we've been playing two forwards and Baird has been competing with Lyle and Reilly for a place.

As I said, whether you want to look at it as a 4-4-2 with a deeper striker or as Lyle playing off the front, the point is we've been playing two forwards and Baird has been competing with Lyle and Reilly for a place.

That's obvious I'm saying that if we are going to persist with 4-2-3-1 in effect neither Lyle or Baird should be considered for that role in behind Reilly.

Totally disagree. I think Lyle has started the season well, even better since moving into the hole, his intelligence on the ball is good. Plays some nice passes in behind defences that they can't seem to deal with.

He hardly kicked a ball on Saturday against Hibs and didn't really know what position he should of been in as when Fowler came off he was constantly telling him to be here and there before he hooked him. Del definitely has something to offer but for me it shouldn't be in that position.

What's the inference here exactly? That because he doesn't like The Sun's objectification of women he's a homosexual?

I thought that kind of chat died with the Sun's credibility after Hillsborough. Apparently not.

No inference.....I was merely treating overthetop's outrageous and offensive statement that "anyone who buys or reads it is a moron" with the contempt it deserves.