The Queen of the South thread

Does anyone know the rules regarding stewards and police? Is it a steward per x amount of people in an area?

I would like to see all fans given the option for no other reason than it's a nice thing to do. In the main you get treated like a criminal at the football so small touches like that are appreciated.

I appreciate the extra cost if we run additional turnstyles but that problem can be solved by just allowing people to walk round.

Surely there isn't an extra policing cost as the same number would be deployed, just shared out differently around the ground?

Does anyone know the rules regarding stewards and police? Is it a steward per x amount of people in an area?

I would like to see all fans given the option for no other reason than it's a nice thing to do. In the main you get treated like a criminal at the football so small touches like that are appreciated.

I appreciate the extra cost if we run additional turnstyles but that problem can be solved by just allowing people to walk round.

Surely there isn't an extra policing cost as the same number would be deployed, just shared out differently around the ground?

This entirely.

To be honest, there may well be restrictions on allowing people to move freely between sections if admitted elsewhere. The point about looking to provide choice because it's a nice thing to do though, is a good one. It kind of bugs me that the only possible justification for ever doing something is financial, as far as many are concerned.

I know that my obsession with grounds being four sided isn't shared by everyone, or perhaps anyone. Still, I'd happily see us lose tiny amounts if we got four sides back, even if only a handful of demented souls took up the offer of foregoing a nice covered elevated seat alongside the pitch, in order to stand on exposed steps behind a goal.

This entirely. To be honest, there may well be restrictions on allowing people to move freely between sections if admitted elsewhere. The point about looking to provide choice because it's a nice thing to do though, is a good one. It kind of bugs me that the only possible justification for ever doing something is financial, as far as many are concerned. I know that my obsession with grounds being four sided isn't shared by everyone, or perhaps anyone. Still, I'd happily see us lose tiny amounts if we got four sides back, even if only a handful of demented souls took up the offer of foregoing a nice covered elevated seat alongside the pitch, in order to stand on exposed steps behind a goal.

Wasn't the case when we visited Arbroath the other year and Cowdenbeath last year? Some supporters actually changed ends at half time.

I would like to think if you have responsible and respected travelling support that do not have a history of causing trouble then they should be able to move around between two areas that have been segregated for them. Each game should be looked at on it's own merits and I know when the orcs come calling there probably won't be room to move. As has been said before we are trying to attract supporters back to grounds, if they want to stand for half a game then sit for the other as long as there are spaces what does it matter.

This entirely.To be honest, there may well be restrictions on allowing people to move freely between sections if admitted elsewhere. The point about looking to provide choice because it's a nice thing to do though, is a good one. It kind of bugs me that the only possible justification for ever doing something is financial, as far as many are concerned.I know that my obsession with grounds being four sided isn't shared by everyone, or perhaps anyone. Still, I'd happily see us lose tiny amounts if we got four sides back, even if only a handful of demented souls took up the offer of foregoing a nice covered elevated seat alongside the pitch, in order to stand on exposed steps behind a goal.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment. Who decides these things though? Presumably it isn't solely up to the club how many stewards and police are required, is it? :unsure:

I think if QoS allowed away fans access to the Terregles Street terracing we'd be pleasantly surprised by the amount of away fans that would take us up on the offer. It's a rarity at football grounds nowadays to be allowed to stand and it still irritates a fair bulk of 'middle-old' generation fans. I'm sure they'd lap up the opportunity.

I'm not saying we would see increases in away support attendances, but I'd be willing to wager that a higher percentage of each team's away support would choose to stand rather than sit.

I think if QoS allowed away fans access to the Terregles Street terracing we'd be pleasantly surprised by the amount of away fans that would take us up on the offer. It's a rarity at football grounds nowadays to be allowed to stand and it still irritates a fair bulk of 'middle-old' generation fans. I'm sure they'd lap up the opportunity.

I'm not saying we would see increases in away support attendances, but I'd be willing to wager that a higher percentage of each team's away support would choose to stand rather than sit.

Agree entirely. For my part, I know that if given the choice I will choose to stand every time. I'm pretty sure that we could offer this opportunity at not much additional cost to the club. Given the choice it is likely that more will choose to stand than to sit. How football is meant to be watched!

I absolutely agree with the sentiment. Who decides these things though? Presumably it isn't solely up to the club how many stewards and police are required, is it? :unsure:

Slight change of subject but I thought the game on Saturday was well over Policed . I know some dafty left off a smoke bomb in the Hibs end but was there really any need for 8 police officers to stand in between them for the rest of the game . Talk about intimidation ;)

We also had more Police in the home end than usual . Must of cost the club a fortune

As has been said before we are trying to attract supporters back to grounds, if they want to stand for half a game then sit for the other as long as there are spaces what does it matter.

Absolutely.

Out of interest, can Queens fans move freely between the new stand and the Portland Road end? I'm a main stand chap myself, and don't know the answer.

Slight change of subject but I thought the game on Saturday was well over Policed . I know some dafty left off a smoke bomb in the Hibs end but was there really any need for 8 police officers to stand in between them for the rest of the game . Talk about intimidation ;)

We also had more Police in the home end than usual . Must of cost the club a fortune

Yes, I thought this at the game. You could count about 25 inside the ground itself, which seemed ludicrous. Given that the crowd wasn't huge, it must have negated much of the benefit of an increased gate.

Was thinking that myself on Saturday........wonder how many will be on duty at the game next Saturday considering Hibs brought approx 1000 when Hearts plan to sell out their allocation of 3000!!!!

It would be nice to offer the choice. If its going to cost money but not increase attendances then I dont think I would bother, to be honest.

I said exactly the same before the game. We got in quiet early, so they were easy to spot around the ground while it was still empty. Cant remember exactly how many I counted but surely we didnt need that many?

Was there any fallout, positive or negative, from the SPL game that had no police in attendance? I think it was a Partick game at Firhill.

I was hoping that was going to cause a revolution in the way football authorities treat their customers. Unfortunately I fear it was just a one-off.

Was there any fallout, positive or negative, from the SPL game that had no police in attendance? I think it was a Partick game at Firhill.

I was hoping that was going to cause a revolution in the way football authorities treat their customers. Unfortunately I fear it was just a one-off.

Was it not also tried at Palmerston a few years ago?

Can under normal crowds but don't think it's allowed when hearts or rangers come or any large crowds tickets are for certain areas.

Yes, I think you'll be right on this one. You can move between any area of the ground normally

Yes, I think you'll be right on this one. You can move between any area of the ground normally

You can't move into the Main Stand from the Terrace, though you can go the other way. You are allowed to move between the Rosefield Stand and the Terrace normally but may not be for the bigger games. You certainly shouldn't be able to move into the Stand from the Terrace.

Stewarding is based more on the number of entrances and exits, including those to the pitch, than it is on the numbers actually attending so if a needless section of the ground was opened then there would absolutely be an increased cost for doing so. Whether the police would also want to up their numbers would be up to them.

You can't move into the Main Stand from the Terrace, though you can go the other way. You are allowed to move between the Rosefield Stand and the Terrace normally but may not be for the bigger games. You certainly shouldn't be able to move into the Stand from the Terrace.

Stewarding is based more on the number of entrances and exits, including those to the pitch, than it is on the numbers actually attending so if a needless section of the ground was opened then there would absolutely be an increased cost for doing so. Whether the police would also want to up their numbers would be up to them.

Im not sure the stewards know this then. I've done it myself this season and quite regularly see others doing it.

Im not sure the stewards know this then. I've done it myself this season and quite regularly see others doing it.

The Stewards are certainly aware of it. Whether they actually enforce it or just use a bit of common sense at times when the stand isn't busy I don't know.

Is there some sort of law in place stating that Police must be in attendance at a football game?

No. The police decide if a fixture needs policing and to what level based on their risk assessments.