The Queen of the South thread

Agreed. While he has undoubtedly been the 3rd most effective of our 3 strikers I`d have been very happy to keep him. It hasn`t worked out which is a pity but time to move on. We have the option of Russell playing up front, particularly IF Paton could stay fit but I`d still look to get another striker in.

From the last two games it looks more likely that it will be Paton playing up front, rather than Russell.

Youre right, though, that we also have the option of playing Russell up front. Maybe we should look to bring in a left winger to provide some competition/cover for Russell?

I always felt that Baird got a hard time from supporters as he didn't run about like a headless chicken. But he did have his moments and his link up play was good. However I don't think he was ever fit and looked out of shape for the entirety of his time here. Better to can him rather than having him stink out the place with a Willie McLaren-esque attitude.

Lyle doesn't run around like a headless chicken either, and he's not coming in for much criticism atm. My problem with Baird was that it appeared he lacked composure. He could have great link-up play then he'd hurry the shot, either scuffing it or hitting it wide when there was an option of taking a touch. I'm probably just thinking of the Rangers game here, but I'm sure I've seen it other times. Nevertheless, he still shat himself. He did also seem a bit podgy, and some (Dobbie :wub: ) can get away with that but Baird? Nah.

Edited by Chupacabra

As you say, Lyle doesn't run around all game (a trait that is more often than not greatly received by some sections of our support, even if the player is pretty sh£t when they get the ball) but when does receive the ball he makes it work far better than Baird ever did for us. Sometimes Lyle's flicks can p£ss me off, but in general his link-up play has been absolutely excellent this season. When he first came to us, without question his biggest attribute was his pace. The fact that he has lost a fair chunk of this and has adapted his game accordingly is commendable. You can tell the guy has worked hard to learn to play the game in a different way now. For me personally, I'd keep this Lyle over pacey Lyle. He's a far more rounded player now than he ever was when all he had to do was run by defenders. The final 20 minutes (when starting) the legs can start to tire. But for the age of the guy he is a good role model for our youngsters to look up to.

*Insert Love-in smilies here*

Billy Gordon ruined my innocence of childhood. This because the first real aggressive ,sweary words I heard were directed at him by QoS fans in the late 70/early 80's. Quite unnerving to a young lad.

What is the story with Billy Gordon? It's before my time, but I thought I wasn't bad on the whole nostalgia thing. This one passed me by though.

What is the story with Billy Gordon? It's before my time, but I thought I wasn't bad on the whole nostalgia thing. This one passed me by though.

Depending on what age you are Adamski , you might know little about him. Signed in 79 ( I think ) from Stenhousemuir and was here to about 83. Bearded Billy played in midfield and tried very hard but things didn't always/ ever come off for him ,getting absolute pelters off from the barrackers on the terraces. Poor guy must have been a masochist to put up with it. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I notice in yesterdays Suns A to Z Gordon Strachan referenced Queens Peter Dickson. Was he a cult hero down Palmerston way by any chance?

Very much so . Signed half way through 75-6 season when we were rock bottom and staring relegation in the face . His searing pace and goals kept Queens up . Signed for a figure around £15,000 ( a big figure in 1975) from Albion Rovers .Controversial player though and I know for a fact that the mid seventies team meet up once a year for a boys day out and Dickson doesn't get invited. They don't like him much at all. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Very much so . Signed half way through 75-6 season when we were rock bottom and staring relegation in the face . His searing pace and goals kept Queens up . Signed for a figure around £15,000 ( a big figure in 1975) from Albion Rovers .Controversial player though and I know for a fact that the mid seventies team meet up once a year for a boys day out and Dickson doesn't get invited. They don't like him much at all.

If wee Gordons comments are anything to go by they are probably still scared of him.

If wee Gordons comments are anything to go by they are probably still scared of him.

Think of Willie Johnston x 5 and you will get a better idea. Gordon Strachans last game for Dundee was a 6-0 hammering ( for Dee) at Palmerston in 1977. Dickson and Strachan probably crossed swords then. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

First person that came to my mind about replacing Baird, was Paul heffernan, Hibs wanting rid and fowler knows him from killie. Always been a goalscorer bar hibs anyway

He was offered to Dundee instead of Harris so he is clearly free to a good home.

I would certainly take Hefferman if he was available - good finisher and he is not the first decent player who has failed to fit in at Easter Road.

As has been said Fowler will know him well from Killie days and a move in that direction would not surprise me if Fowler rates him that is?

I think we should also be looking at Division 1/2 players who are performing well and perhaps getting a few signed for next season if not this one. I am strongly opposed to this crazy situation where Hibs for example could come in and sign say Holt and then we are drawn against them in a Play Off situation. It puts the player in an impossible situation.

That said, if that is the system then we have to protect ourselves so we have to be pro-active now or face being "walked over" by our rivals.

Depending on what age you are Adamski , you might know little about him. Signed in 79 ( I think ) from Stenhousemuir and was here to about 83. Bearded Billy played in midfield and tried very hard but things didn't always/ ever come off for him ,getting absolute pelters off from the barrackers on the terraces. Poor guy must have been a masochist to put up with it.

My memories of him are similar. I actually remember discussing with my Mum who never went to a game, this poor guy that got dog's abuse from everyone, me included.

I do remember him scoring a diving header at the Terregles Street end once, but the consensus was that it had been an accident as he'd tripped over the penalty spot.

He was the sort of player who wouldn't now stay aboard at the same club for four or five years, but back then, he managed to.

Lyle doesn't run around like a headless chicken either, and he's not coming in for much criticism atm. My problem with Baird was that it appeared he lacked composure. He could have great link-up play then he'd hurry the shot, either scuffing it or hitting it wide when there was an option of taking a touch. I'm probably just thinking of the Rangers game here, but I'm sure I've seen it other times. Nevertheless, he still shat himself. He did also seem a bit podgy, and some (Dobbie :wub: ) can get away with that but Baird? Nah.

This.

I don't think Baird gets criticised for not running around enough. I think he gets criticised for only rarely playing well. The ball hasn't stuck well with him all season and this has prevented him from linking up effectively. His return in terms of goalscoring has also been really poor.

I'm slightly concerned at the loss of another player, but I'm not unduly so, that it's this one.

I can actually still see him doing well elsewhere, but for whatever reason, it wasn't working for him here.

I would certainly take Hefferman if he was available - good finisher and he is not the first decent player who has failed to fit in at Easter Road.

As has been said Fowler will know him well from Killie days and a move in that direction would not surprise me if Fowler rates him that is?

I think we should also be looking at Division 1/2 players who are performing well and perhaps getting a few signed for next season if not this one. I am strongly opposed to this crazy situation where Hibs for example could come in and sign say Holt and then we are drawn against them in a Play Off situation. It puts the player in an impossible situation.

That said, if that is the system then we have to protect ourselves so we have to be pro-active now or face being "walked over" by our rivals.

I've heard a rumour were already looking to do that from our near neighbours. Could be pre contracts.

Why do Queens fans think we play 4-2-3-1? We started out that way (hence the signing of the useless Owain Tudor Jones over another striker) but we've been 4-4-2 most of the season with either a flat or diamond midfield.

The fact Biabi is so raw, either poor or plays ok but tires quickly, we really need at least two more strikers on the books.

The strikers we sign in this windows will be fighting for a place alongside Loy (who isn't going anywhere in this window) up front.

Think of Willie Johnston x 5 and you will get a better idea. Gordon Strachans last game for Dundee was a 6-0 hammering ( for Dee) at Palmerston in 1977. Dickson and Strachan probably crossed swords then.

The look on big Tam Gemmels face during that match is one of my abiding fond memories of watching Queens.

Any reports from the under 20/dev match v Ayr tonight?

Heard Mitchell or Burns might feature? Would be good to get them back into 1st team squad.

Wouldn't think many other 1st team squad would be playing with the squad looking a little light on numbers and if rumours are correctaybe another Couple of players going out on loan in the window.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH