The Queen of the South thread

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, surely it's always been for years that if two parties want to exit a contract they can.

I don't imagine the club would have really wanted Baird to go though John. He's asked to leave and that's that. If QoS refused, then Baird could have literally walked around the park all game and there is nothing we could do about it. The way I've seen it is that a player has got fed up and decided he wanted away. The club can like it or lump it. Other than release him we had very little options and for me it shouldn't be the case. How is it fair on the club?

Really dim to release him this week if that is the case. I`d have kept both players beyond the next 2 games TBH.

I think that would have been most people's thoughts. Why not send them to train with your youths for a few weeks, if your next two games are away to Raith and Falkirk this could come back to bite you on the derriere!

Bit naive if you ask me.

Guest Back Post Misses

Only time will tell if this is a good decision or not. Largely dependent on who we get in to replace him. I was quite happy when we signed him as I thought he would offer something different to our existing attacking players, and in the main he did. He's not going to be a huge loss, certainly less so than Kerr, but it's revisionism to suggest he won't be missed at all.

We've just got to hope that the club are as swift and decisive in the signing of their replacements as they were in getting rid of these "bad eggs". We've had a fairly settled group for the last 3 seasons now so I have to commend the quick way the club have removed possible disruptive influences. Ultimately it has left us down two players though.

I could be mistaken, but I assumed the Falkirk fans linking him with them were at the wind-up? Raith is a much more likely destination where he has cult hero status.

I think you are way wrong pal

I don't imagine the club would have really wanted Baird to go though John. He's asked to leave and that's that. If QoS refused, then Baird could have literally walked around the park all game and there is nothing we could do about it. The way I've seen it is that a player has got fed up and decided he wanted away. The club can like it or lump it. Other than release him we had very little options and for me it shouldn't be the case. How is it fair on the club?

They could have told him to stuff it and basically stick him on gardening leave for the next 18 months but there is no benefit in employing someone who doesn't want to be there. FWIW I think that contracts should protect players as it means they aren't being treated like cogs in a machine.

It was probably better for everyone if he moved on, he gets a chance to redeem himself elsewhere whilst we have a chance to improve the squad with someone who is a team player.

They could have told him to stuff it and basically stick him on gardening leave for the next 18 months but there is no benefit in employing someone who doesn't want to be there. FWIW I think that contracts should protect players as it means they aren't being treated like cogs in a machine.

It was probably better for everyone if he moved on, he gets a chance to redeem himself elsewhere whilst we have a chance to improve the squad with someone who is a team player.

I agree that contracts should protect a player. It's their livelihood when all's said and done. I just feel that it should be a two way system though. The only real protection I see the club having is that it stops teams saying to players "come and play for us next week". That was my thinking, up until the last couple of weeks or so. I'm in no way insinuating that Falkirk approached Kerr and Baird. My point is more to do with the fact Baird said he wasn't happy and wanted out, therefore we let him get his own way and he is free to go where he pleases. From a club point of view, what does a contract really offer if this is what can happen? At a big club with money to burn, he'd be sent to the youth team for 18 months. Smaller clubs like ourselves can't afford to do that. I don't know what can be done to stop this happening in the future, but surely there has to be something put in place.

What's stopping McShane going to Fowler today and saying "I heard County want me. I quite fancy that. I'm not happy here and want a release." Going by the Baird debacle, there is absolutely nothing stopping this from happening surely?

I agree that contracts should protect a player. It's their livelihood when all's said and done. I just feel that it should be a two way system though. The only real protection I see the club having is that it stops teams saying to players "come and play for us next week". That was my thinking, up until the last couple of weeks or so. I'm in no way insinuating that Falkirk approached Kerr and Baird. My point is more to do with the fact Baird said he wasn't happy and wanted out, therefore we let him get his own way and he is free to go where he pleases. From a club point of view, what does a contract really offer if this is what can happen? At a big club with money to burn, he'd be sent to the youth team for 18 months. Smaller clubs like ourselves can't afford to do that. I don't know what can be done to stop this happening in the future, but surely there has to be something put in place.

What's stopping McShane going to Fowler today and saying "I heard County want me. I quite fancy that. I'm not happy here and want a release." Going by the Baird debacle, there is absolutely nothing stopping this from happening surely?

In both Baird and Kerrs situations it has clearly suited the club to get rid, I doubt we would do it with a sellable asset.

The difference is Mcshane is our biggest asset, so we aren't going to allow that. Realistically no one would pay a fee for Baird, so no point keeping him.

FAO Broony and DHD (can't multi on phone, sorry). That's not my point though. The value of the player is irrelevant to my point. Even if Baird was our top player, what could the club do to stop him leaving? If he continued to play all he would have to do is perform badly. My point is that two players have went "in a huff" and wanted out. The club can't really do anything about it and have had to release them.

My feeling on Baird is that he is a good player at this level. I fully expected him to be first pick with Gavin up front and Derek Lyle competing when one or both went off form. The reality was that Baird turned up with an injury at start of season and missed a number of games. When he did arrive he wasn't very fit and didn't look sharp. In the meantime Derek Lyle was playing very well and with Gavin clearly the number one striker he was essentially vying with Del for the one place.

When you look at the goals scored column - Lyle has 10 I think and Reilly 9. Baird has scored 3 one of them a penalty and one really an own goal by Laurie Ellis!

In terms of assists Derek Lyle has made a big contribution and his link up play has been first class. If Baird had been a good team player he would have been disappointed at not starting as many games as he would have liked but would have concluded that Reilly is a young player on the up and Derek Lyle has played exceptionally well.and displayed a GREAT ATTITUDE!!!

I would have respected Baird more if he had dusted himself down and recognised the fantastic efforts of his striking teammates......................he would have inevitably got his chance and with his ability I am pretty sure that he would have done very well for us.

If he goes to Falkirk as reported it will not be any easier for him ........................one would assume that Rory Loy will be first pick - Falkirk generally play a 4-2-3-1 formation so I don't see him as being an attacking midfielder and they have also signed the lad Taylor and they have other young contenders. One thing for sure is that wherever he goes if he doesn't start every week "toys will be thrown out of pram".

Not good news for us though as I think we will struggle to replace him and I am disappointed that he has not played more of a team game. I would actually say that Derek Lyle has been more unlucky - he was left out of the side at times to accommodate Baird when he had been scoring freely and making goals.The difference was that Lyle while disappointed showed no petulant tendencies and was committed to do the best he could whether it was from the start or off the bench.

Really dim to release him this week if that is the case. I`d have kept both players beyond the next 2 games TBH.

Indeed. In a just world both would have been told to see out their contracts and forced to re-fill the water bottles at training, and clean the U20s boots until the day their contracts expire. However we have to accept that the board have done the right thing, I think they've earned that right with their work over the past few years. Perhaps the freeing up of two players' wages will hasten the process of replacing them? Perhaps the club have known for weeks that they would be binning the gruesome twosome and the respective days the players have been released on are the most suitable for the club?

It is unfortunate that what looks on the outset as bad news for us, will in all likelihood end up strengthening a rival. Keeping hold of them would also have been bad news for us, and at least this way we have the opportunity to replace the two of them. We may even find upgraded models and be looking back on this as the pivotal moment in our season. I don't think maintaining the status was an option anyway.

I think you are way wrong pal

Which particular aspects of my post do you disagree with pal?

Guest TOPFITTER

My feeling on Baird is that he is a good player at this level. I fully expected him to be first pick with Gavin up front and Derek Lyle competing when one or both went off form. The reality was that Baird turned up with an injury at start of season and missed a number of games. When he did arrive he wasn't very fit and didn't look sharp. In the meantime Derek Lyle was playing very well and with Gavin clearly the number one striker he was essentially vying with Del for the one place.

When you look at the goals scored column - Lyle has 10 I think and Reilly 9. Baird has scored 3 one of them a penalty and one really an own goal by Laurie Ellis!

In terms of assists Derek Lyle has made a big contribution and his link up play has been first class. If Baird had been a good team player he would have been disappointed at not starting as many games as he would have liked but would have concluded that Reilly is a young player on the up and Derek Lyle has played exceptionally well.and displayed a GREAT ATTITUDE!!!

I would have respected Baird more if he had dusted himself down and recognised the fantastic efforts of his striking teammates......................he would have inevitably got his chance and with his ability I am pretty sure that he would have done very well for us.

If he goes to Falkirk as reported it will not be any easier for him ........................one would assume that Rory Loy will be first pick - Falkirk generally play a 4-2-3-1 formation so I don't see him as being an attacking midfielder and they have also signed the lad Taylor and they have other young contenders. One thing for sure is that wherever he goes if he doesn't start every week "toys will be thrown out of pram".

Not good news for us though as I think we will struggle to replace him and I am disappointed that he has not played more of a team game. I would actually say that Derek Lyle has been more unlucky - he was left out of the side at times to accommodate Baird when he had been scoring freely and making goals.The difference was that Lyle while disappointed showed no petulant tendencies and was committed to do the best he could whether it was from the start or off the bench.

If Loy is away as is being muted, in this window, then Fatboy will be The Bairns No1 potentially, so that could be a bonus to all other Championship clubs, effectively meaning Falkirk FC are playing with 10.

Not many clubs paying fees for players in Winter window so not sure where he will be going. My recollection is that he had a spell with Carlisle which didn't appear to launch a better career in England so a further move to England may be unlikely. If he stays Falkirk will have no shortage of strikers so plenty of competition especially if they persevere with 4-3-2-1.

I don't think there is any doubt that Baird is a good player at this level and I don't agree that he played badly for us.

I don't think there is any doubt that Baird is a good player at this level and I don't agree that he played badly for us.

Agreed. While he has undoubtedly been the 3rd most effective of our 3 strikers I`d have been very happy to keep him. It hasn`t worked out which is a pity but time to move on. We have the option of Russell playing up front, particularly IF Paton could stay fit but I`d still look to get another striker in.