The General Ross County Chat Thread

Good move for young Greg, well as long as he gets plenty game time.  I saw him play in a few preseason friendlies and he looked really strong, if he can cut his teeth and learn a bit from a seasoned pro like Jon Baird it'll do him the world of good.  Certainly a step up from u20 matches.

Does anyone know how Tim Chow is, I heard it was a head knock he came off with against Motherwell in the cup game, will he be back in contention for the starting XI soon? A back three with Chow, Draper and O'Brien in front of them would be pretty good imo.

Edited by frankthetank22

Draper is certainly not the most technical player, but so often in the league we've been found wanting for presence in midfield (Ketts being the only exception) and Draper may be what we need once we get his fitness levels raised. Lindsay and Routis allow themselves to be bullied too easily, Draper will not.

32 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Thanks man, good to know, and decent prices.

Really liked the 'on this day' bit of the webpage!
"Rovers secure their passage to the next round of the UEFA Cup with a 2-2 draw in the Faroe Islands against Gotu. Goals from Lennon and Crawford."  Good times :)

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:41, dingdong1929 said:

Thanks man, good to know, and decent prices.

Really liked the 'on this day' bit of the webpage!
"Rovers secure their passage to the next round of the UEFA Cup with a 2-2 draw in the Faroe Islands against Gotu. Goals from Lennon and Crawford."  Good times :)

Funny to think how much things can change.  There Raith were, in the UEFA Cup, even facing Bayern Munich in the 2nd round.  At the same time, Ross County were finding their feet in the Third Division having only been admitted to senior football the year before.  Then, 22 years later, Raith are languishing in the lower leagues and playing Ross County reserves in a cup competition.  Ross County have risen through the ranks and won the same competition that got Raith in to Europe in the first place (I'm still sad they ditched a European spot for the League Cup winners).

Anyway, I'd have gone to this game but I'm away on holiday.  Hopefully our young guns can dispense with another League 1 team and progress to a glamorous away tie in a foreign land so we can make a weekend of it, but I suspect this might be the end of the road.  It's one thing beating Forfar on a Tuesday night in Dingwall, but Raith on their own turf will be a different challenge entirely.  There's always next year...

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

Funny to think how much things can change.  There Raith were, in the UEFA Cup, even facing Bayern Munich in the 2nd round.  At the same time, Ross County were finding their feet in the Third Division having only been admitted to senior football the year before.  Then, 22 years later, Raith are languishing in the lower leagues and playing Ross County reserves in a cup competition.  Ross County have risen through the ranks and won the same competition that got Raith in to Europe in the first place (I'm still sad they ditched a European spot for the League Cup winners).

Anyway, I'd have gone to this game but I'm away on holiday.  Hopefully our young guns can dispense with another League 1 team and progress to a glamorous away tie in a foreign land so we can make a weekend of it, but I suspect this might be the end of the road.  It's one thing beating Forfar on a Tuesday night in Dingwall, but Raith on their own turf will be a different challenge entirely.  There's always next year...

Aye, I was thinking similar.  

I vividly remember Raith Rovers taking Barry Wilson and me being really impressed our wee club sold such a good player to such a big team.
Now our u20s are playing their senior team in a cup that we're too big for (obviously 'big' is the wrong term, but i'm running with it for the sake of the point being made).
It's mental.

Very little to stop the coin flipping again in the next 20 years or so.
I should probably be a bit more appreciative of where we are right now... 

Edited by dingdong1929

Amazing that these days that a defeat to Rangers can start to put pressure on our management team, but they were really poor and there for the taking. Only we were worse. Plenty of rumblings around the place and discontent towards McIntyre already this season. I think a large part of that was down to the fact many didn't think he should have seen out the summer in the first place. Looking at the month ahead though we need to target 5 points as minimum I'd say. Lose to Partick and the pressure will be welly and truly on.

September:

Partick (H)

Celtic (A)

Hibs (H)

Killie (A)

I know recently there has been more and more data analysis on the Scottish game with team's expected goals calculated from their play.  But in a similar mould, are they something similar for goalkeepers, with what they should be expected to save?  Probably one for BungleBonce.

I have never been convinced by Fox, but he's certainly not shite.  I think our fans over rate how good he is.  I seem to think he makes handling errors and positioning errors that other keepers in the league don't do. But that can easily be my confirmation bias clouding my judgement.  I do concede that his reflex stops and in particular his agility in making double and triple stops is excellent. I could certainly pick eight keepers in the league I would have before Fox.

Yesterday's error was an absolute brain fart moment, and should see Danny Baker start a new compilation in time for Xmas.

The Partick game is already a must win game this early on into the season.  I'm getting more and more tired of Jim and Billy's supposed brand of football.  I can't remember the last time I left a County game and thought wow what an entertaining performance that was.  The football on show is turgid and quite frankly shite.  

The faults in the squad are so obvious, its astonishing how our management team seem unable to address these issues.   

20 minutes ago, Loki said:

I know recently there has been more and more data analysis on the Scottish game with team's expected goals calculated from their play.  But in a similar mould, are they something similar for goalkeepers, with what they should be expected to save?  Probably one for BungleBonce.

DIJM7j2XYAAk-PD.jpg

That is from an article that is behind a paywall (https://t.co/WpVrvl58Po) on last seaon's goalkeepers so I don't know the working behind it and it doesn't mean much to me.

8 minutes ago, tintax said:

I'm getting more and more tired of Jim and Billy's supposed brand of football.

What is the brand?  There isn't much of a strategy anymore.  Lots of energy in midfield that goes nowhere.

Edited by bunglebonce

22 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

DIJM7j2XYAAk-PD.jpg

That is from an article that is behind a paywall (https://t.co/WpVrvl58Po) on last seaon's goalkeepers so I don't know the working behind it and it doesn't mean much to me.

Here's another article on the same subject from the same guy though from the start of last season. It should give you a bit more context. https://thebackpassrule.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/a-quick-delve-into-keeper-stats-in-the-spfl-premiership/comment-page-1/

For a club of their size, Ross County had some impressive attack numbers and their defense conceded the 3rd best expected goal against total in the league, yet their keepers let them down for much of the year. Fox was the Staggies first choice keeper, although he had some injury issues throughout the year, yet was a -9.22 for saves above expected and a keeper rating of 87.58. His deputy when he was out injured was Gary Woods and Woods didn’t fare much better, with a saves above expected of -9.58 and a keeper rating of 76.96. County manager Jim McIntyre saw the need to improve the keeper position this offseason and brought in Aaron McCarey from Wolverhampton. If County are to continue their unprecedented success from last year, they will need improvement from their keepers this year.

Edited by capt_oats