The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Your own team won a cup double a couple of years ago, are you just going to give up as you’re never going to do that again?

Football is a funny game you just never know what is going to happen.

Nah, that’s not my mindset, I’d ideally like a treble now.

This is simply a case of seeing the phrase ‘enjoy the ride’ being used in reference to Ross County’s recent transfer business. I have no integrity as a football supporter and I’d love our next owner to be a multi-billionaire who takes us on a crazy uphill journey. But, if you’re spending big money on underwhelming players who have played for almost every other team of a similar quality, I’d say the ‘ride’ is no longer very exciting.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

Nah, that’s not my mindset, I’d ideally like a treble now.

This is simply a case of seeing the phrase ‘enjoy the ride’ being used in reference to Ross County’s recent transfer business. I have no integrity as a football supporter and I’d love our next owner to be a multi-billionaire who takes us on a crazy uphill journey. But, if you’re spending big money on underwhelming players who have played for almost every other team of a similar quality, I’d say the ‘ride’ is no longer very exciting.

Aye the fee for Brophy doesn’t look to be a very wise decision.  But in the games he did play for us we had a transformation in terms of play.  If he remains fit we will be a better side because of it. 

Well the last game of our season was pretty exciting.  So we will just have to disagree on that one.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Hey @RandomGuy. have St Johnstone made a profit every year/most years over the last 5 or 10 years? I see that you did last year.

I think we've made losses in most of the last 5 years, cant remember beyond that.

Its written off by the £3m+ cash reserves the club have built up, plus the ~£2m they made in sales over the past few seasons.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not at all, ive watched plenty of clubs over the last 20 years think they could spend their way to sustainability, and it never happens. One way or another itll come home to roost one day, so just make sure you enjoy this period you're in before it goes sideways.

It’s not even enjoyable

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Am I correct in saying only 2 of the Youth League winning side of 2017 ever played a game for the first team?

Greg Morrison played a handful of games as did a couple of others but none ever managed anything like being even squad rotation players.

Oli Shaw was the youth league top scorer that year as well.

9 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Greg Morrison played a handful of games as did a couple of others but none ever managed anything like being even squad rotation players.

See that's wild, if you bled in 4 or 5 of that team back in the season you were in the Championship (I know that would never have happened as MacGregor was public in saying County were going for it to get back up at the first time of asking) you would probably have a decent core of a side now, or at least made money from selling them.

It's a lot of time and money invested for zero return (effectively).  All these lads trained for years through the youth teams, culminating in blowing the Celtic and Rangers under 20s out the water, then they get released and end up at Rothes or Brora.

Edit - I'm fully aware that's not how MacGregor operates.  He's a cash splasher.

Edited by TheScarf

9 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Davis Keillor-Dunn looked the part for a while.

13 minutes ago, AndyX said:

Davis Keillor-Dunn looked the part for a while.

I thought he was in our first team that season. He did look the part. Still banging them in for league two clubs in England.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

See that's wild, if you bled in 4 or 5 of that team back in the season you were in the Championship (I know that would never have happened as MacGregor was public in saying County were going for it to get back up at the first time of asking) you would probably have a decent core of a side now, or at least made money from selling them.

It's a lot of time and money invested for zero return (effectively).  All these lads trained for years through the youth teams, culminating in blowing the Celtic and Rangers under 20s out the water, then they get released and end up at Rothes or Brora.

Edit - I'm fully aware that's not how MacGregor operates.  He's a cash splasher.

Honestly, I don't even see the point of the academy if we're just spunking cash on some reject from the English 7th tier or spending 6 figures on competent journeymen. (Not saying we should get it binned, but at the the same time, why is any youngster from the area going to sign with County when they have a far bigger chance of getting into the first team at Caley?) There's a lot at County that is questionable, and it's become an awful lot easier to actually question the decision making of the guy in charge post-Malky hiring & reaction. He normally seems to think he can get away with whatever pish he wants with some line about being a community club & other empty nonsense. A community club would actually use the youth team players. A community club would listen to the reaction of the community at the hiring of a guy with Malky's problematic past. But Roy doesn't need to because he's the money man & it's his toy at the end of the day.

Someone on the previous page said fans should do something but what? If MacGregor doesn't want to sell, & if he did sell he wouldn't get on the radio to have his ego stroked by barely sentient fuckwits on Radio Scotland, then to quote Chernyevsky, "what is to be done?"

It's certainly going to be interesting when MacGregor kicks the bucket. And if you're a County fan then not the good kind of interesting.

Keillor-Dunn was in the team that won the u20s in 2017. Greg Morrison was the striker - Jim McIntyre gave Morrison a few first team appearances at the start of the 16/17 season but his patience didn’t last (which was harsh IMO). Morrison was left with the development team to win that league, before going out on loan to various clubs and was eventually released. I thought Morrison could have made it, I don’t know where it went wrong. 

They were the only two with any real first-team exposure. Tony Dingwall occasionally played for the winning development team as an over-ager after losing the manager’s trust in the first team. They were captained by Russell Dingwall but he never looked like stepping up. I watched a lot of that team at the time and there weren’t any other obvious standouts to break into the first team, but they were coached in to a consistent team by Kettlewell. 

Chris McLaughlin was the best player to come through from the following season, the best youth player in years IMO, but like T Dingwall with the rumours were he didn’t appear to match the talent with the work ethic to keep his place in the first team. 

Blair Malcolm got a start and 90mins away to Killie and I quite liked the look of him too.
But he got emptied to Cowdenbeath shortly after.
Think I read hed really struggled with injuries, but had a decent season at Albion Rovers last season?

In general, theres no-one that we've let go thats 'proved us wrong'.
To the extent that Ross Stewart did St Mirren, for example.

That said, Id much rather we'd managed to coach a couple into regular squad members.

34 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Keillor-Dunn was in the team that won the u20s in 2017. Greg Morrison was the striker - Jim McIntyre gave Morrison a few first team appearances at the start of the 16/17 season but his patience didn’t last (which was harsh IMO). Morrison was left with the development team to win that league, before going out on loan to various clubs and was eventually released. I thought Morrison could have made it, I don’t know where it went wrong. 

They were the only two with any real first-team exposure. Tony Dingwall occasionally played for the winning development team as an over-ager after losing the manager’s trust in the first team. They were captained by Russell Dingwall but he never looked like stepping up. I watched a lot of that team at the time and there weren’t any other obvious standouts to break into the first team, but they were coached in to a consistent team by Kettlewell. 

Chris McLaughlin was the best player to come through from the following season, the best youth player in years IMO, but like T Dingwall with the rumours were he didn’t appear to match the talent with the work ethic to keep his place in the first team. 

Chris McGlaughlin told the manager he should have been first choice left back when he was 16 years old.  No chance he would ever have made it after that.   

While everyone is looking forward to the promise of next season I think it's worth mentioning a key factor in our approach last season.  Mackay went the entire campaign without determining his best 11 and it became increasingly clear that he didn't have a settled formation either. The bulk of that stemmed from midfield selections that were at best optimistic. Hopefully,  this will be resolved early on this season.  What does give me the fear is unless we secure a couple of oven ready CBs the permutations at the back will bring out the mad professor in MacKay. Anyhoo, fingers crossed...

StJ fans, kindly leave the thread. 

Our own fans are miserable enough for all the other fans in the league. 

I'm happy to see someone supporting the financial state of the club, it's his and he can do what he sees fit. Bowie was doing it with Killie too. 

Irvine and Boyce went for decent fees which was never shared with supporters. I don't particularly like Roy, having worked for him in the past, but he's certainly not stupid or frivolous, if he thought County were in bother he wouldn't be spending. 

And that's after losing millions in an offshore wind project that bit him in the jaxi