The General Ross County Chat Thread

An enjoyable night, what a setup they have at this training complex, 6 pitches with surfaces to beat anything back home, plus a mini stadium. I suppose they are council owned and used by Twente and others.

This was the Twente U23 team that play in Div2, inc a Mexican internationalist and gave us the absolute runaround in the first half, could have scored 3 or 4 had it not been for Reguero making some excellent saves - that was a major plus from a County perspective, he really is an upgrade on Fraser/Brown.

2nd half with Fenlon, Carey and Balk coming on we were much more comfortable and had an attacking threat which we didn't have in the first. Fenlon was linking/overlapping with Arquin on the right and Carey was direct. However Twente did make several changes too and looked weaker.

Rocco played well, setting up the goal on a plate for Jervis.

Carey and Arquin also impressed.

Dreesen and Boyd did well despite being under the cosh in that 1st half.

Melvin was through the middle supporting Jervis, with Cardle left and Arquin again right - that has been a feature in these pre-season games.

Are we ready for St Johnstone? Probably not, they will be ahead if us in terms of competitive action/sharpness with those 6 European games, I think we might be in for another slow start until Adams finds his best 11 and formation.

Edited by StuartTaylor

Are we ready for St Johnstone? Probably not, they will be ahead if us in terms of competitive action/sharpness with those 6 European games, I think we might be in for another slow start until Adams finds his best 11 and formation.

Last year we started the season slowly. Struggling past Hearts and then lucky to draw with Killie. I imagine we'll be similar this season, especially if we can't bring in reinforcements and May leaves, so you'll be clear favourites for the opener to me

Last year we started the season slowly. Struggling past Hearts and then lucky to draw with Killie.

We didn't struggle past Hearts at all from memory, it was as comfortable as you can get for a 1-0 win. The Killie game was poor though and - maybe more relevantly for County fans - we made a lot of changes from the European game on the Thursday. I was going to say we might do the same this year, especially with it being away and the chance it could go to extra time, then I remembered we don't have enough players to make changes, so the knackered lot will likely have to play.

The focus this week will be on Slovakia with maybe just the Saturday to have a proper look at a County team that although we'll have watched, still won't know much about with the changes, although Wright will obviously know Boyce well enough. County fans have to be confident about making a good start to the season next Sunday, you couldn't have picked a better team to open against.

We didn't struggle past Hearts at all from memory, it was as comfortable as you can get for a 1-0 win. The Killie game was poor though and - maybe more relevantly for County fans - we made a lot of changes from the European game on the Thursday. I was going to say we might do the same this year, especially with it being away and the chance it could go to extra time, then I remembered we don't have enough players to make changes, so the knackered lot will likely have to play.

I remember the Hearts game becoming a bit of a slog, and we struggled to create any decent chance until May stepped up and scored from nothing. I might be misremembering things though.

I remember the Hearts game becoming a bit of a slog, and we struggled to create any decent chance until May stepped up and scored from nothing. I might be misremembering things though.

Without labouring the point and boring the County support, from the match report:

"With one minute of injury time allowed, Saints were well on top and worth more than the single-goal lead they took away at the break."

"Saints, for all their possession, were still only a single goal to the good with quarter of an hour to go."

The Hearts game was just a continuation from the two matches with Rosenborg and the win in Belarus.

Last year we started the season slowly. Struggling past Hearts and then lucky to draw with Killie. I imagine we'll be similar this season, especially if we can't bring in reinforcements and May leaves, so you'll be clear favourites for the opener to me

We picked up 7 points from a possible 9 in our first 3 games :lol:

I can see where Klok is coming from: he signed a two year deal, was used sparingly in the first year and thinks, with fewer midfielders on the books, this is his time to shine.

Unfortunately, his old team-mate Jordi Balk has been signed up and looks an upgrade on what Klok offers, putting Klok down the pecking order. Klok is more pro-active with passing the ball about in triangles without getting very far (Yogi would love him), but is still far too slender.

I think he made a big mistake not going to Peterhead, where he would have been playing in a three-man midfield and so would have had the chance to spray the passes about and get experience for the rough and tumble.

I don't think Adams will have taken kindly to him being a bit of a diva.

We picked up 7 points from a possible 9 in our first 3 games :lol:

My impressions of the start of last season seem to be heavily blinkered by the Killie game, where I ripped out my own eyes

My impressions of the start of last season seem to be heavily blinkered by the Killie game, where I ripped out my own eyes

Think that pretty much sums up Killie games for every set of fans, including their own.