The General Ross County Chat Thread

I heard some Staggies saying they fancied the club signing Ridgers at the last Thistle game...I thought it was just the beer kicking in...

I heard some Staggies saying they fancied the club signing Ridgers at the last Thistle game...I thought it was just the beer kicking in...

Yeah, I don't get the Ridgers love either. Not sure what options are out there though. As Forfinn says, I'm sure Jim & Billy must have some keepers lined up.

Inverness Courier suggesting it's moving on already:

Jamie Durent ‏@IC_JDurent 1m1 minute ago
#RCFC agree fee with Queen of the South for midfielder Ian McShane. Talks expected in the coming days.

I think this is where we're at:

Signed:

Marcus Fraser

Jamie Reckord

Tony Dingwall
Raffaele De Vita
Liam Boyce
Craig Curran
Brian Graham
Kyle Macleod

Offered Contracts?

Scott Boyd

Paul Quinn

Rocco Quinn
Steven Ross
Martin Woods

Ian McShane

Loans Expired:

Cammy Burgess

Filip Kiss

Jackson Irvine (keen to sign)

Michael Gardyne (contract offered?)

Released:

Mark Brown
Antonio Reguero
Darren Barr
Ben Frempah
Abdoulaye Meite
Steven Saunders
Richard Brittain
Terry Dunfield
Ruben Palazuelos
Joe Cardle
Graham Carey
Jake Jervis
Darvydas Sernas

Edited by Spain

Wow, what a morning.

• Kiss has his red rescinded.
  • Boyce called up to the NI squad.
  • Raffa signs a 2 year deal
  • Darren Barr released with the others
  • A fee with Queen of the South for Ian McShane agreed (to be finalised when he returns from holiday next week)

What will McShane bring to County? Assuming we agree terms.

There are easy comparisons to make with Martin Woods. He is fit, technical and wants to take all the set-pieces. He's got more of an eye for a pass than Woods probably and moves the ball quicker, but doesn't command matches. He tends to sit off the play to keep the team's shape. He does a lot of tracking back but is not particularly strong in nipping attacks in the bud - I think one of Woods's undervalued strengths is the way he nicks the ball away from the opposition and I don't think McShane has that yet.

He's good at keeping the ball moving, he's very accurate with his right foot. He makes the occasional burst forward - Queen of the South attack on the flanks and with a lot of movement further ahead, so he tends to hold. In that respect, he'd be a very good fit for County's current system and would complement Jackson Irvine well if he took Woods's role... as long as he's strong enough on the defensive side. That's my biggest concern, because he doesn't time his challenges and interceptions very well. He's still very early in his career though and Jimbo clearly thinks he can be a good player at this level. The likes of Brittain, Lawson and Rocco probably weren't at the same level at the same age.

This is the goal that I've referred to before when imagining Ross County moulded in the way that Jimbo's Queen of the South side were. This is from the start of the season, I think the week after Jimbo joined County:

McShane did something similar last year:

He's right footed but there's a nice finish with his left against Cowdenbeath: https://youtu.be/BqUqhVpejaI?t=1m35s

Edited by bunglebonce