The General Ross County Chat Thread

Interesting appointment. Wouldn't go as far as saying I'm happy with it given his time spent in charge with Dunfermline in the Premiership wasn't great. He has a point to prove though and good luck to him..

Interesting appointment. Wouldn't go as far as saying I'm happy with it given his time spent in charge with Dunfermline in the Premiership wasn't great. He has a point to prove though and good luck to him..

I think his biggest problem at Dunfermline was that he underestimated the league. The likes of Rutkiewicz, Hardie, Andy Kirk etc were more than good enough to win the 1st division and he thought he could build a team around them that'd be good enough to stay up. The reality is that they weren't up to scratch. He's already made that mistake though, so he'll make a better fist of it this time IMO.

Edited by Kyle

I think his biggest problem at Dunfermline was that he underestimated the league. The likes of Rutkiewicz, Hardie, Andy Kirk etc were more than good enough to win the 1st division and he thought he could build a team around them that'd be good enough to stay up. The reality is that they weren't up to scratch. He's already made that mistake though, so he'll make a better fist of it this time IMO.

Agreed.

Plus he now just has to get on and shape a playing team with what he has, which is (mostly) just about good enough to stay in the league. As a tactician, I quite like him.

Quite an interesting appointment.

I would expect some improvement from County, although it couldn't really get much worse than the start you have had. Jim was a big hero at Rugby Park but I can't help but think Danny Lennon would've been a better shout.

Don't believe the hype that taking us to the playoffs last season was some sort of giant killing achievement. We did well to achieve it after a horrifically slow start that could have easily cost him his job, but it was always the minimum expectation. He got us there by beating the teams we should have been beating, yet we had a terrible record against the teams above us (something like 7 points from 36 against Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk).

I don't know enough about County to know what it is you are missing, or what you are looking for in a new manager. If you feel you are underachieving then there is a good chance McIntyre will have you performing more at the level you should be. I don't think he's good enough to take you (or any club for that matter) to "the next level" though.

He had a good track record of learning from his mistakes and improving the team in the right areas. Didn't get the chance to make amends for being ill-prepared for the SPL but I'm sure he'll have learned from that.

Always wore a sharp suit too - good to have a manager on the sidelines that outclasses the opponents in the sartorial stakes.

Don't believe the hype that taking us to the playoffs last season was some sort of giant killing achievement. We did well to achieve it after a horrifically slow start that could have easily cost him his job, but it was always the minimum expectation. He got us there by beating the teams we should have been beating, yet we had a terrible record against the teams above us (something like 7 points from 36 against Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk).

I don't see any hype around that. And although I agree that Queen of the South had fourth as a minimum, third was the very highest they could achieved in the circumstances, but hindsight shows that was unlikely to happen.

I guess the horrifically slow start was because McIntyre wanted to implement his own style in place of AJ's, which naturally took time to work. And while Derek Adams is probably closer to AJ than he is to McIntyre with his school of thought, he did try to mould a side around 4-3-3 this season. He just bit off more than he could chew and allegedly lost the dressing room. I think for that reason McIntyre will hit the ground running quicker this time around, which of course he will have to do if County are to avoid relegation.

I don't know enough about County to know what it is you are missing, or what you are looking for in a new manager. If you feel you are underachieving then there is a good chance McIntyre will have you performing more at the level you should be. I don't think he's good enough to take you (or any club for that matter) to "the next level" though.

I think that's a fair enough long term concern, but he wasn't at Queen of the South long enough to prove otherwise.

I still have County down as finishing 11th this season.