The General Ross County Chat Thread

The "Ross County News" Twitter account tweeted a link to this article.

Michael Gardyne and Darren Barr will both be signing, with another two potentially joining them (one of whom is Clark Robertson, on-loan from Aberdeen). Here's my thoughts:

• Is Gardyne necessary? I'm not convinced. He just adds to the problem of an abundance of attack minded players. Who do you drop? Nobody, as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to see him back and I suppose it is nice to have a creative option on the bench but it's not the most inspired signing.
  • Barr could be a relatively good signing - if he can stay fit (FFS, we've already got Saunders filling the "crocked right-back/centre-back" role). IIRC, he was a decent full-back and, well, that's kind of what County need at the moment.
  • Clark Robertson? I can't say I know anything about him but he can't be much worse than Celcer.
  • Who is the potential fourth signing? I'm praying that it's Songo'o or a central midfielder.

That would be just typical though - sack the manager to take the club in a new direction and then sign a former 'fan favourite' who has done nothing since he left. Really hope that doesn't happen - in my opinion, he was overated the first time he was here. Saying that, it would give me even more of a reason to avoid OTB which will go into meltdown with excitement if this were to happen.

Barr wouldn't be a bad signing - but keeping him fit is absolutely vital.

Have been impressed with the little I have seen of RObertson - an improvement on Celcer if nothing else.

Edited by dazwesty89

Robertson was mince at left-back for Aberdeen pre-McInnes. It's telling that he'll play Hayes at left-back before Robertson. Robertson is only 20 now, so there's a lot of room for improvement, but County don't need another young full-back spending the season learning from his mistakes.

Gardyne will just be another player to encourage the misuse of de Leeuw. He'd be good for the dressing room, but will he really move north again to be a benchwarmer? He's another player who got plenty game-time in a failing team in 2012-13 but who can't get a sniff now under better management.

It's all a bit rudderless, and a bit depressing.

Edited by bunglebonce

Maybe if Barr signs and plays right-back, we will see Jordi Balk as the ball-playing deep central midfielder that the team so badly needs.

The inability to pass from defence to the midfield is hurting the team just as much as the crosses coming in.

Then again, a manager coming in will look at Balk and think: "reserve centre-back".

Sigh.

de Leeuw Arquin

Carey Kiss Brittain

Balk

Celcer Frempah Boyd Barr

Brown

Obviously if Songo'o miraculously comes in that would be a big deal. I'd rather see Reguero back in the medium term - he'll always be susceptible to punching weakly under pressure but I don't think he'll make as many consecutive errors as he has done recently. Otherwise, left-back would be the only obvious weak point.

By gosh, isn't Carey important to that team.

Six month loan deals. Is George still pulling the strings?

ETA: the single most promising thing to come out of last season was the Arquin + de Leeuw forward partnership. It seems a million miles from ever being used again now.

Centre-forwards:

Jake Jervis

Liam Boyce

Yoann Arquin

Steven Ross (what chance does he have of doing anything this season)

Attacking midfielders/wide forwards:

Michael Gardyne

Melvin de Leeuw

Graham Carey

Joe Cardle

Darren Maatsen

It's ridiculous. Five of those are all arguably good enough to start games and they'll be playing for three, maybe four places at a push. Meanwhile the midfield don't know how to pass the ball to them, Boyd will launch balls over their heads and whichever left-back plays will get ripped apart.

Edited by bunglebonce

The "Ross County News" Twitter account tweeted a link to this article.

Michael Gardyne and Darren Barr will both be signing, with another two potentially joining them (one of whom is Clark Robertson, on-loan from Aberdeen). Here's my thoughts:

• Is Gardyne necessary? I'm not convinced. He just adds to the problem of an abundance of attack minded players. Who do you drop? Nobody, as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to see him back and I suppose it is nice to have a creative option on the bench but it's not the most inspired signing.
  • Barr could be a relatively good signing - if he can stay fit (FFS, we've already got Saunders filling the "crocked right-back/centre-back" role). IIRC, he was a decent full-back and, well, that's kind of what County need at the moment.
  • Clark Robertson? I can't say I know anything about him but he can't be much worse than Celcer.
  • Who is the potential fourth signing? I'm praying that it's Songo'o or a central midfielder.

Not adding anything new, just wanting to add my weight:

Given how many (too many) players we have in that forward role, Gardyne is a pointless signing, other than to appease folk more concerned about "losing our identity" than the standard of the team on the park. I don't think there are many of these folk at all, and the sense of loss of identity is disappointing, but we've bigger problems just now. He may also be good for the dressing room, but having the players to stop us getting pumped every week would likely help the dressing room too.

Barr can play CB, RB and later he played centre midfield under Paolo Sergio at Hearts. So a Scottish Jordi Balk in a way... but with experience of the league, tempered by a lot of experience of the treatment table. If fit could be decent for us. Not too popular at Hearts, binned by Killie, and apparently failed a trial at Partick in the Summer (?) but could be of use to us.

Clark Robertson is a raw left back for Aberdeen, who's fans have been bemoaning their lack of a leftback all pre-season, with Johnny Hayes being played there. Doesn't bode well, but if he has any degree of strength, timing or positioning he will be an improvement on Celcer on current form.

The 4th mystery signing looks to be potentially Tidser. Could take pressure off Carey, or help the team in Careys absence. So would be pleased if that came off.

So to address our problems of LB, RB and DCM (to use Champ Man terms) we are bringing in: a 'mercurial forward' who cant get a game for our rivals; a raw LB who cant get a game in defense ahead of a tricky winger; an injury prone utility player who was rejected by our rivals; and potentially a ball-playing centre mid.

Not overly inspired, and a lot of this is speculation just now. All those players have potential to add to the team though, so is up to whoever take's the manager's job to get the best out of them. This post is less positive than I actually feel about these signings, I'm just being a bit of a bitch as I was hoping for something a bit more inspiring.

Barr can play CB, RB and later he played centre midfield under Paolo Sergio at Hearts. So a Scottish Jordi Balk in a way... but with experience of the league, tempered by a lot of experience of the treatment table.

He was rubbish playing in front of the defence. Another stopper and nothing more. I'd be seething if he played there ahead of Balk.

Six month loan deals. Is George still pulling the strings?

ETA: the single most promising thing to come out of last season was the Arquin + de Leeuw forward partnership. It seems a million miles from ever being used again now.

Centre-forwards:

Jake Jervis

Liam Boyce

Yoann Arquin

Steven Ross (what chance does he have of doing anything this season)

Attacking midfielders/wide forwards:

Michael Gardyne

Melvin de Leeuw

Graham Carey

Joe Cardle

Darren Maatsen

It's ridiculous. Five of those are all arguably good enough to start games and they'll be playing for three, maybe four places at a push. Meanwhile the midfield don't know how to pass the ball to them, Boyd will launch balls over their heads and whichever left-back plays will get ripped apart.

Totally agree. I cant believe, given how obvious our issues are, we've compounded them with another forward who cant defend but will want a first team place. Staggering. Pointless signing and arguably a waste of money and a squad place.

Or "Staggiering"! Eh? EH? Nah, forget it, too disappointed to put any effort into crap jokes.