The General Ross County Chat Thread

Unbelievable turnaround in players when you see it like that. The only club it seems who year in year out have to make huge changes summer after summer. Until we start offering longer deals and getting a bit of continuity in the squad we are going to keep struggling.

There's no reason for it clubs with smaller budgets than ours (St Mirren, Partick) are able to keep their squads together by offering long deals.

Regarding Kolk I'm not surprised its yet another sad example of a young player not given a chance under Adams.

Who said St Mirren and Thistle have smaller budgets than us? I see these things bandied about but never see proof. I did hear Roy saying that we had the smallest player budget in the SPL.

Klok could have had a chance this year in the Development squad, he decided he was too good for it. On the few occasions I saw him I didn't see any evidence that he was ready for the first team.

Who said St Mirren and Thistle have smaller budgets than us? I see these things bandied about but never see proof. I did hear Roy saying that we had the smallest player budget in the SPL.

Klok could have had a chance this year in the Development squad, he decided he was too good for it. On the few occasions I saw him I didn't see any evidence that he was ready for the first team.

Easily. Guarantee we don't have the smallest playing budget in the league. When we signed Arquin for example Tommy Wright is quoted as saying they where close to signing him but we offered more.

Klok never got a chance to show anyone what he could do a handful of appearances isn't enough to judge him

When we signed Arquin for example Tommy Wright is quoted as saying they where close to signing him but we offered more.

On the other hand we reportedly outmuscled you financially for Miller and Brittain

Easily. Guarantee we don't have the smallest playing budget in the league. When we signed Arquin for example Tommy Wright is quoted as saying they where close to signing him but we offered more.

Klok never got a chance to show anyone what he could do a handful of appearances isn't enough to judge him

Your story about Wright means nothing even if he was correctly quoted. I'm not saying we have the smallest budget I'm asking what evidence there is for it. And I know that I could go and look through accounts but I'm not the one making comments about who has smaller budgets than us.

I doubt Adams judged him over a handful of games, he had him in training and the under 20 squad for a year, but it was Klok who refused to keep trying to prove himself and lost out on the chance.

Watched him a few times last season for U20s, and also pre-season this summer v Highland League opposition.

I think he made a big mistake not going to Peterhead last January on loan, when both clubs had agreed.

Not sure what happened, but when he wasn't in the squad for Holland trip you suspected the writing was on the wall.

Edited by StuartTaylor

Looking at the players we've had since promotion. Can you imagine this team:

Gallacher

Cikos Songo'o Hainault Oikonomou

Lawson

Brittain Kiss

De Leeuw Arquin Vigurs

Subs: Reguero, Boyd, Kovacevic, Carey, Wohlfarth, Sproule, Kettlewell

Up against this team:

Fraser

Bateson McLean Micic Gordon

Duncan

Scott Fotheringham

Luckassen Mustafi Corcoran

Subs: Brown, Saunders, Fitzpatrick, Byrne, Glen, McMenamin, Klok

Edited by yoda

It has to be said that Adams hasn't had as much choice in the turnover of players as folk seem to think. Many of the best players were loan deals. They helped ensure survival and were more than we could otherwise afford.

Many of our real favourites who left did so by their choice, not the club's.

Others who were let go of were not good enough.

I can't think of any players Del deliberately got rid of that we would have been desperate to keep.

We liked Cooper a lot for example but did he really do enough to show he was ready to play a consistent and vital role every week?

Arguably our best current players are De Leeuw, Carey and Boyd. We managed to give a longer contract / re-sign or retain them. Arquin is also likely to stay, along with a few others in their second or more season e.g. Brittain, Quinn, Maatsen, Saunders.

You often don't really know who is going to be worth more than a 1 year contract. We have at least succeeded in not having players on the books that clearly don't have a place in the squad.

It has to be said that Adams hasn't had as much choice in the turnover of players as folk seem to think. Many of the best players were loan deals. They helped ensure survival and were more than we could otherwise afford.

Many of our real favourites who left did so by their choice, not the club's.

Others who were let go of were not good enough.

While I understand why they didn't do it, we could always start negotiating with players earlier than the club actually does. One year contracts don't mean having to wait until May before starting to sort out the squad for the next year. The whole reason we hand to pay St Johnstone for our captain was because they started sorting out players for next season in January and we hadn't even begun talking to our captain. So some of that does lie with the club ultimately. Maybe if we'd started talking to Lawson or Vigurs in December or January before Motherwell came in they could have stayed another year. Maybe they both wanted out, that's fine, but as it is we don't even seem to put up a fight. Which inevitably leads to high player turnover, which means hopeless starts to the season every year, and ultimately one year we're not going to find guys to replace them in January the following year to save us from relegation. It's a very short-term view..

By all account Vigurs wasn't even offered a contract until the end of the season, as they thought he was going to go. Vigurs said this himself in the press that he wasn't offered a contract. We had actually signed Melvin De Leeuw on a pre contract and he had already been ear marked as Vigurs replacement. Probably not the best way to endear yourself to one of your star players.

Anyway since our introduction into the Premier League we have played the least amount of young players (minutes wise) than the other sides involved (not including Hamilton). This is endemic of the Adams family reign. The last youth players that came through that were any good were all brought through by George Adams' predecessor Graeme Sutherland. The question is why aren't we producing players good enough, or if we are why aren't we giving them game time? George Adams contacts at Celtic and Rangers have long since dried up, and initially he was able to source players that just hadn't made the grade Gardyne, Lawson etc and Derek Adams was able to use his ex player knowledge to tap into the wonderful Livi set up, but outwith that we are really struggling to identify and sign players in and out of Scotland.

Our pre season preparation isn't good enough. The four goals we have conceded at home have been utterly sloppy. The disorganisation in defence is clear to be seen. We have started slowly the past two seasons, and the first season we were actually helped by the cohesive team unit that won the league for us. It doesn't help when Adams continually experiements with team selection and formations throughout the start of the season. That's what pre season is for. Partick, Killie and St Johnstone have all been sharper and organised better.

After the next two games we could genuinely see Derek Adams under the most pressure he has ever been under in his County career. McGregor's ego wouldn't take County getting relegated. We have seven tough games coming up. It is difficult to see where the points will be coming.

Happy days are here again. I think that's a really strong squad. Four full backs, at least four centre halves, three wide players, five or six central midfielders depending on how you count them, and four forwards. We've improved our keeper, got a proper right back, and competition for centre half.

Happy days indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE