The General Ross County Chat Thread

Safe standing is interesting (and positive). Has permission been granted for this yet by the relevant authorities or is it just a statement of intent?

That's something I'm keen to find out as well. Hopefully clubs can follow suit and the Scottish game can become one of the more forward thinking bodies in British football once again!

I've proposed the idea of an "Offshore season ticket". A season ticket where you can attend any 10 home games in a season as you'll obviously be unavailable for the rest due to work commitments. I think only Aberdeen have something similar at the moment where you have to either be in the offshore industry or emergency services to be eligible. I've not been a season ticket holder since I moved to Glasgow 7 years ago but I'd certainly buy one if this became available.

Celtic has an Overseas Season ticket. For 250 pounds you get five home games, a one-year subscription to Celtic TV (costs abouts 130 pounds) and for the remainder of the home game your seat is made available to the Celtic foundation for use by the unemployed/poor. It's not a great deal financially at all, but I'm thinking of getting one nonetheless.

His kicking/distribution is diabolical. The worst I have ever seen.

Graeme Smith was worse but he improved. I don't think Nicky Walker was that hot at it but was at least consistently barely average. But Brown certainly wasn't great with his distribution and it became more of an issue with McIntyre wanting the ball released quicker. I'm surprised more teams didn't make a gameplan out of exploiting it.

Safe standing is interesting (and positive). Has permission been granted for this yet by the relevant authorities or is it just a statement of intent?

Last night they sounded confident that the Highland Council would approve it, but they still need to speak to the police and others. They talked about it happening next year but there are legal barriers they still have to get through.

Edited by bunglebonce

Capable shot stopper. His kicking/distribution is diabolical. The worst I have ever seen.

Not too worried about the distribution side, we've only had 1 keeper in my lifetime who was even remotely decent at it. How is he with cross balls?

Useless. Won't leave his goal line which is frustrating.

But at least he's consistent. He almost never comes flying out unexpectedly.

I think he's a dreadful shot stopper too.

He's also about three foot six.

And silent.

Not a big fan.

Useless. Won't leave his goal line which is frustrating.

But at least he's consistent. He almost never comes flying out unexpectedly.

I think he's a dreadful shot stopper too.

He's also about three foot six.

And silent.

Not a big fan.

Sounds ideal...

Cheers.

I think Mark Brown is getting a hard time here. He is genuinely poor at kicking, and not confident taking cross balls, but he is a good shot-stopper and has held his own in the top flight for roughly a decade. He'll do a good job for Dumbarton I'd think.

I wouldnt have minded him (or Reguero, but not both) staying with County as back-up/competition for a new no.1

I think Mark Brown is getting a hard time here. He is genuinely poor at kicking, and not confident taking cross balls, but he is a good shot-stopper and has held his own in the top flight for roughly a decade. He'll do a good job for Dumbarton I'd think.

I wouldnt have minded him (or Reguero, but not both) staying with County as back-up/competition for a new no.1

^^^This^^^

Mark Brown was never a fans favourite all I would add is not the worst keeper we have ever had or the best.

Decent shot stopper never going to dominate his box and as previously stated dodgy on the pass back which always made me ask why do we keep passing it back to him.

How did Palazuelos get on for you last season? Was always a player I liked, had great ball retention.

Is he staying on for 15/16?

He's been released. He didn't really play much and perhaps isn't as box-to-box as McIntyre wants. I quite liked what little I saw of him. Maybe it was a wages thing? I reckon he could do a job for us.

How did Palazuelos get on for you last season? Was always a player I liked, had great ball retention.

Is he staying on for 15/16?

When he appeared in the first team it was in a midfield three but the manager always put Martin Woods in the holding role. To me it seemed at odds with all logic, making the player with the lesser vision but greater endurance sit, and the player with the opposite attributes play further ahead. He only made one start before the unbeaten run, against Aberdeen when Woods was atrocious at protecting the back four and Palazuelos was left chasing shadows.

Then County went 4-4-2 with Woods and Irvine playing a higher energy game. Palazuelos would come on late to protect leads in the unbeaten run, but he never got much game time, and when he did Woods was always the one sitting back. I suppose the logic to him playing higher up when protecting a lead was to draw the sting out of the frenetic pace of the match by not attacking recklessly.

He looked a cut above in the reserves when he was given the holding midfield role, he oozed class. I've no doubt that had he arrived at the start of the season when County played a lot of 4-3-3 that he would have been a fans' favourite, but it was the wrong time for him.

Edited by bunglebonce

The "Vigurs to Thistle" chat is all very speculative at the moment but after reading Bunglebonce's rundown of Graham Carey on the St Mirren thread, would any of you say that the two players are comparable in any way? Apart from fixtures between ourselves, I've not seen enough of either to be fully averse with their qualities but given Carey's versatility, perhaps he would be a better option if Thistle are looking for a certain type?

Of course, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that we are even remotely interested in Carey; but seeing St Mirren linked with both has reinforced the notion in my head that they have similar attributes for some reason.

Too tired to give a thorough explanation, but Vigurs is more of the maverick Higginbotham type who will track back less. Carey has slightly more work ethic and is quicker, but his killer ball isn't as consistent and he doesn't have Vigurs's vision. I think they're both cracking players, but I'd have Vigurs first and build my team around what he can do.

Edited by bunglebonce

I think Mark Brown is getting a hard time here. I wouldnt have minded him staying with County as back-up/competition for a new no.1

A new no.1...where would that leave Scott Fox?

Interesting to see Vigurs mentioned in the same breath as Higginbotham. I had it in my head that he played centrally. Is he a winger?

A new no.1...where would that leave Scott Fox?

Interesting to see Vigurs mentioned in the same breath as Higginbotham. I had it in my head that he played centrally. Is he a winger?

He meant that's what the thought / hope was with a lot of fans prior to the signing of Scott Fox. It would have meant now Brown & Fox competing but who knows who Jim has in mind as the second keeper.

Vigurs is a left-footed midfielder. We played him for the majority of his time on the left wing, but he's not a "winger" as such. He much prefers to cut into the middle and drive towards the goal or drift into the middle. He'll need an attacking left back behind him to offer real width, but then he's not the best at covering back so an attacking left back would need a midfielder with a good vision for danger to then cut in and cover!

Edited by Spain