The General Ross County Chat Thread

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Do any of you lot worry that you'll do a Gretna when Uncle Roy calls it a day? I'd certainly have my concerns but then I'm used to disasters at Dens. Just curious - this isn't a wind up attempt - to see what the thoughts on the future are for County. Is it just a case of enjoy the good times and see what happens? Or has Roy laid down some foundations to ensure you'll be secure even if he gets fed up or can't continue financing you?

Roy has laid the foundations, so we're told, we'll be fine. In all honesty? I'm not completely sure, but he clearly understands the club has to be more than his plaything. He started with the pitch and is pretty much finished developing the rest of the facilities. The youth and scouting systems are being developed and the development side is starting to show the results. Can the northern Highlands ever support a Premier League team without some financial input from the likes of Roy? Time will tell, but I don't worry about a Gretna style collapse although a gradual decline is possible if he goes.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Do any of you lot worry that you'll do a Gretna when Uncle Roy calls it a day? I'd certainly have my concerns but then I'm used to disasters at Dens. Just curious - this isn't a wind up attempt - to see what the thoughts on the future are for County. Is it just a case of enjoy the good times and see what happens? Or has Roy laid down some foundations to ensure you'll be secure even if he gets fed up or can't continue financing you?

It's a valid question.  I've considered this a lot and discussed with a lot of people over the years.  At some point Roy's involvement will end, but my belief/understanding is that we wouldn't face instant Armageddon like Gretna.  Instead, we would probably regress to a more natural level for a club of our size - bottom six or top half of the Championship.

There's no doubt Roy's investment in the club's infrastructure and likely subsidising of wages has been significant in our recent success, but he hasn't saddled the club with masses of debt in the process.  If he goes, we'd just have to cut our cloth accordingly and continue at a slightly lower level.

On the whole we're a very well run club and that efficiency and sensible levels of investment from outside the club have got us to where we are, unlike the irresponsible and unsustainable spending that saw Gretna's rise and fall.

Indeed.

I was beginning to think Roy was tightening the purse with immediate effect, but then County just signed Burke (who won't be cheap) and McIntyre is still looking.

Every year since promotion the club's infrastructure has improved.  Apart from general maintenance the ground won't need anything done to it for a couple of decades.  There is no debt now, so we are told, but there is an annual loss in the accounts that is written off by the chairman's company.  If Roy goes, either the other directors will have to step up to plug the gap, or the playing budget wiill get slashed considerably.  I'm comfortable with that and enjoying the club's position in the meantime.

Normally a question I get to answer considering my connections to past and present board members, but I think it's been asked so many times now that we're all fairly clued up on these things. Last two replies are on the button.

54 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

To summarise, then: 'tick-tock'. Excellent.

^^^ If you can't read, then I hope you can at least drive a tractor. God-speed sir, your struggle has not gone unnoticed.

Normally a question I get to answer considering my connections to past and present board members, but I think it's been asked so many times now that we're all fairly clued up on these things. Last two replies are on the button.

Unless we win the Champions League. In which case, no dice.

1 hour ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

I can read, Spain. Ross County toiling for an eternity in the Championship will give me far more pleasure than the club going bust. Only a matter of time.

Ross County minus Roy's millions probably puts us on a par with ICT these days. Except we'd have a stadium with all four stands.

It's a little bit of a worry. The only players likely to score in this team beyond the centre-forwards are Gardyne and Davies.

As said by others in the match thread, the team is good enough as a whole to compete well enough in the lower half of the league.  However, given the ambition to improve and the spending on senior pros, is that good enough?

14 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I'm no financial expert, but how is Ross County's annual debt being written off by Global Energy an example of a well run club?

I don't understand

It's written like a haiku

But it's really not

Edited by Spain

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Don't know why it posted like that, care to give my question a go Mr Spain?

I don't think anyone said that it amounted to us being a well run club, just that it had at least been done in a way where the future of the club was safe.

Just now, Spain said:

I don't think anyone said that it amounted to us being a well run club, just that it had at least been done in a way where the future of the club was safe.

One of your fellow supporters has, if you read back up a bit.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

One of your fellow supporters has, if you read back up a bit.

Not in any post I can see. One says that we are a very well run club, which is true. When you look at the infrastructure and facilities the club has coupled with our position within Scottish football that's indisputable. Nobody said that specifically because Global have written off some debts that it amounted to us being a well run club though.

x = z does not mean y = z amigo 

20 minutes ago, Spain said:

Not in any post I can see. One says that we are a very well run club, which is true. When you look at the infrastructure and facilities the club has coupled with our position within Scottish football that's indisputable. Nobody said that specifically because Global have written off some debts that it amounted to us being a well run club though.

x = z does not mean y = z amigo 

Sorry, a well run club doesn't get it's debt written off by the chairman's other business interest year on year.  No matter how you wan't to dress it up.