The General Ross County Chat Thread

I'm not sure about that either. 1. Salary be damned, Davies is by far the best defender they have. Losing him is not good. 2. I have no idea why Cikos isn't playing, but I can see him getting released. 3. Dow and Woods both look like they are free to go. They don't offer much and I think JM is finally seeing that in the case of Woods. 4. I like Franks more than most County fans. I think he's done okay for most of his time. I reckon in a winning team, he'd be the most effective wide player. I can see him leaving too. 5. Brian Graham is exactly what that team needs.

Cikos has barely had a chance since Fraser became fit.  Fraser's back to his best form as a right-back, so there can't be too many complaints about keeping Cikos out of the team, but I think Fraser needs to give the team more quality in the opposition half to improve as a player.

I doubt Davies has much pace left to lose, so I'd be happy for him to continue still.  I don't know if the defence is big enough for both Davies and Quinn, so it'll be interesting to see how the management deals with that in the long term.  Ultimately I'd be ok with either if it is to be one or the other.

I think Franks is fine to have in the squad, but County should have aspirations of having a first choice right winger with better quality, like Burke.  I completely agree with Staggie52 on Burke: his quality is the difference between this team drawing and winning. This wee spell of Burke being out might be make-or-break for Dingwall's career at the club.  In 385 minutes Burke has three assists and a goal; Dingwall has none in 327 minutes and Franks none in 546 minutes.

Schalk had good offers in the summer, supposedly, but decided to stay out of loyalty.  I think he's been hard done by in not starting recently.  Curran will probably have a good future at the club for as long as he's healthy - it's difficult to picture him moving to a bigger club but would be a big miss if he was allowed to go.  I think he'll be certain to sign another two-year deal.

Woods has an option of another year on his contract, but the club didn't give any more info about how that is triggered.  The way that Chow and particularly Routis have been performing make his absence barely noticeable.

Edited by bunglebonce

The DR has County linked with Jason Naismith from St Mirren.  22 year old right-back.  I thought he was a good player when he broke through.

It raises a few questions:

* Will Cikos get punted or has he asked to leave?

* Will Fraser be used inside more and one of Davies/Quinn leaves?

20 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

The DR has County linked with Jason Naismith from St Mirren.  22 year old right-back.  I thought he was a good player when he broke through.

It raises a few questions:

* Will Cikos get punted or has he asked to leave?

* Will Fraser be used inside more and one of Davies/Quinn leaves?

Could be a good signing.  I think it's likely that Cikos wants regular football, plus Davies and Quinn are out of contract and could both be on the move.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just thought I'd let you guys know that United fans seem to think they'll be signing Liam Boyce from you in January in their thread. emoji38.png

They seem to be under the misapprehension that he's out of contract in the summer.  He ain't.  And even if he was, he wouldn't drop down a division.  He'll end up with Plymouth Argyle if they go up, or at Burton if they stay up.  And County will get some considerable amount of beer tokens for him.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just thought I'd let you guys know that United fans seem to think they'll be signing Liam Boyce from you in January in their thread. emoji38.png

Liam extended his contract with us either just before or just after our cup final win earlier this year. It'll take a few £ if anyone wants to sign him this January.

He may well end up in the Championship but I doubt it'll be the Scottish version.

The view from the Westand -

I hope we can hang onto Schalk as well as Curran. "Lexi" is due a goal and has looked pretty effective the last few times I've seen him - albeit not getting into the starting 11. Morrison needs some game time too, if he has a future in the first team.

Midfield - great to see Chow & Routis getting better. Does McShane still have a role? Tone Ding needs another couple of games to prove he should be kept on. When oh when is one of Gardyne's shots going to burst the onion bag?

With Fraser playing well I can understand if Cikos wants away. Pity but we can't play them both. I expect Fraser won't play in the centre at least next season as we'll have at least one of Quavies, as well as McEveley as first picks. Happy to persist with Kenny vdW as he is still improving and is a weapon.

The Fantastic Mr Fox can stay. 

7 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

The view from the Westand -

I hope we can hang onto Schalk as well as Curran. "Lexi" is due a goal and has looked pretty effective the last few times I've seen him - albeit not getting into the starting 11. Morrison needs some game time too, if he has a future in the first team.

Midfield - great to see Chow & Routis getting better. Does McShane still have a role? Tone Ding needs another couple of games to prove he should be kept on. When oh when is one of Gardyne's shots going to burst the onion bag?

With Fraser playing well I can understand if Cikos wants away. Pity but we can't play them both. I expect Fraser won't play in the centre at least next season as we'll have at least one of Quavies, as well as McEveley as first picks. Happy to persist with Kenny vdW as he is still improving and is a weapon.

The Fantastic Mr Fox can stay. 

Any news on this guy's injury from the weekend? I was rather worried watching him hobbling away. (May have shed a small tear, can't remember for sure).

1 hour ago, The Great Stagsby said:

Any news on this guy's injury from the weekend? I was rather worried watching him hobbling away. (May have shed a small tear, can't remember for sure).

I've heard that it could be a hamstring injury. I hope that is inaccurate and it is something minor.

Franks looked lively when he replaced Gardyne, it could be him and Tony as our width against PT on Friday night.

Any updates on we may have Burke back in the team??

On 12/12/2016 at 16:03, Savage Henry said:

I'm not sure about that either. 1. Salary be damned, Davies is by far the best defender they have. Losing him is not good. 2. I have no idea why Cikos isn't playing, but I can see him getting released. 3. Dow and Woods both look like they are free to go. They don't offer much and I think JM is finally seeing that in the case of Woods. 4. I like Franks more than most County fans. I think he's done okay for most of his time. I reckon in a winning team, he'd be the most effective wide player. I can see him leaving too. 5. Brian Graham is exactly what that team needs.

The below article was in the Inverness Courier; 
http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport...122016.htm

ANDREW Davies will sit down with his family and decide his long-term future, if Ross County put a new contract on the table for him.

His current contract expires in the summer and before the start of this season, Davies raised concerns about his family being homesick in the Highlands.
Manager Jim McIntyre has intimated to the former club captain that he would like the former Middlesbrough, Stoke and Bradford City man to extend his stay in Dingwall, although no contract extension has been offered yet.
It was a challenging period for Davies and his wife Lucy, who have young sons Hugo and Jensen to think about too. However, after some frank family discussions, Davies agreed to “knuckle down” and continue giving his all for County, who he skippered to League Cup glory just months previously.
Family will always come first for the experienced centre-half and he is quick to thank both McIntyre and the club for how the situation has been handled. It is very much a wait-and-see situation for him at present, until an official offer from the club is made.
“If you ask any player, your family always comes first. I said to my wife that we had to knuckle down, but I’ve done that my whole career. We’ve lived in different places and she’s followed me all the way - I’m really proud of her,” said Davies. “It is tough but the main thing is the club are paying your wages, you’ve got to go out and do a job, regardless if you’re unsettled or not. I feel like that’s what I’ve been doing.
“The manager wants me to stay. Because we’re doing so well and moving in the right direction, you don’t want to lose players and I can fully understand that. But I’ve got to look at my own situation and evaluate everything, the pros and cons. But the main thing is I’m enjoying my football here.
“If something’s put on the table, I’ll have a chat with the family to see what the best way forward is. My time here, whether long or short-term, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. The manager and fans have been fantastic with me, so let’s see what happens.
“It’s hard to put into words. With the wife and kids, they miss home but they enjoy it up here. The kids are in school up here.
“Sometimes you’ve got to bite your tongue and get on with it. There was a lot of speculation in the summer over my future and I’m proud of my wife, my kids and myself for the way we’ve cracked on and we’ve just got to see what happens.”
Davies is one of 12 County players out of contract in the summer, with fellow defenders Paul Quinn, Marcus Fraser and Kenny van der Weg also seeing their deals up at the end of the season.
Dutch full-back van der Weg was given a straight red card late on in the 2-1 win over Aberdeen, with County hoping referee Craig Thomson will take a second look at his decision, which came in the closing stages when he lunged at Jonny Hayes.
In spite of the barrage of attacks coming from those in red, the Staggies managed to cause problems of their own with Alex Schalk in particular a threat. However, Davies played a key role in Ryan Dow’s dramatic winner as he steered Jonathan Franks’ cross into Dow’s path.
“I played at Middlesbrough with Jonathan Franks and I know, as soon as he gets one-on-one with someone, he’s going to get the ball in. It was a fantastic ball in and I’ve just managed to get something on it, it’s nice to get an assist,” said Davies.
“I thought if they broke though, I was going to be in big trouble!”

It sounds quite promising that he may extend his time up here with County.  We just need to decide what direction we want to go in (as far as spending the wage budget goes).  
IMO he's quite clearly one of the best defenders in the league he seems to be enjoying his football with us, I'd get him signed up on a two year deal asap.

• 2 weeks later...

Well with it being the winter shutdown and also the transfer window, there's not much chat.

With Liam Boyce currently out on his own as the league's top goalscorer, it highly likely it'll have been brought to the attention of some oligarch chairman from england. Liam's still got at a bit to go on his contract and with recent rumours of the league's equal 3rd top goalscorer worth anything between £10m-£25m, who's likely to be interested and what kind of money would it take to sign Liam?