The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, tintax said:

Just seen this on Twitter. Makes for bleak reading. If it wasn't for the league cup win McIntyre may have already been sacked. 

Yeah but we did win the Cup final, I have photos to prove I was there :cheers:thumsup2

For those of you who were at the aberdeen match, how did our midfield line up before the red card. Was it like

Franks Chow McShane Woods Gardyne

Or was McShane sitting deep with maybe Gardyne supporting Curran?  Where was Chow being played (before the red card), central or wide?

On 23/10/2016 at 17:21, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks for giving us Ricky Foster for nothing btw

We'll probably end up buying him back in January :rolleyes:

So, what's the opinion on McIntyre then? How long will Roy give him to turn it around? Does he get until Christmas? Or will it be St Johnstone or Hamilton where he has to get us a win? I really am not sure.

I think he should be fired now but can see McGregor giving him another month or so to turn things around. Given he was his personal choice, Jim never even applied for the job remember.

Ive had enough of his shite brand of football. I am bored watching us now, there's nothing to excite me watching us anymore and the blame for that lies firmly at his door. 

I'm a bit torn on this. Success depends on two things, money and consistency. If you have enough money you can often buy in success, not always. We don't have that kind of money anyway so we need consistency, certainly less change in the squad from season to season. We're not really building on a core, hence we bring in too many and let others go to do that. Is that the managers' problems or the chairman's? I think the Board have to look at their strategy. If we bring in a new manager their remit should be to build on what we have, whether or not that means dropping down and coming back. If Jim stays he should be told the same. We can't keep going as we have been, changing squads each season and managers every two years isn't the answer.

I think Ross MacIvor has flown under the radar a bit so far, but this is his hat-trick against Dundee in the DL a fortnight ago.  Each goal is as good as the other, IMO.  17 years old, plays up front or is sometimes put on the flank.

ETA: A good assist by Chow for the third.

Edited by bunglebonce

• 3 weeks later...

Some assorted thoughts:

1) We never thought it at the time due to where we thought he would play, but is Routis the surprise contender for Irvine's replacement?  He can improve his decision making but has the physical and technical attributes to be a good player for us.

https://gfycat.com/DiligentSmoggyElephantbeetle

https://gfycat.com/DefiniteRightChrysomelid

2) Boyce tends to score in batches, but a good indicator of his confidence is how well he holds the ball up, which he did very well against St Johnstone and for N.I. during the week.  He's due another burst.

He got no change out of Hamilton's defence at NDP earlier in the season, but he played high and direct against their defence.  He's played deeper against Rangers and St J, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

3) Chow was never a terrible player, his biggest weakness is a lack of experience.  He's getting better by the game.

Edited by bunglebonce

I take it most have seen this Peterborough stray pass doing the rounds after the weekend?

Spoiler

Does anyone else recall a Morton game in Dingwall a good few years ago where the ref had to stop the game and ask all of the stewards to go to the back of the stands? I think the linesman had given a few dodgy offside calls before that as the Morton strips were luminous yellow too.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Whats the deal with Chris Burke?

Reading this morning about some "debilitating virus"

Yeah, we found out he's Glaswegian. Poor guy :(

Nah, all we know is that he's been out with a virus for the past few weeks and still isn't back yet. We've heard very little else.

3 minutes ago, Spain said:

Yeah, we found out he's Glaswegian. Poor guy :(

Nah, all we know is that he's been out with a virus for the past few weeks and still isn't back yet. We've heard very little else.

Fair enough. Theres a story in the Press and Journal but I'm unable to read it, as you seemingly need to sign up to that website these days.

After looking at the below article from the Scotsman I thought I ask to hear what are fellow County fans thoughts are for next season, and players with little time left on their contracts?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/c...-1-4312547

There's obviously quite a few players becoming available to sign come the 1st on january, anyone we should be interested in?

Ross County: Paul Quinn He’s an unfashionable centre-back coming to the end of his career. He’s also club captain. Typically, he’d be a shoo-in for a new contract. However, Ross County have been porous at the back since he returned from Aberdeen. A lot of that is not Quinn’s fault. They play in a 4-4-2 formation that doesn’t provide much protection for the centre backs and, in Andrew Davies, he has a playing partner very similar to him. Both struggle whenever play goes behind them as they lack pace. County have looked stronger in defence in recent weeks without him, which would normally cast doubts about his future, but then Davies is expected to leave in the summer. Is a Quinn-Jay McEveley pairing the partnership of the future? 
There’s a lot to sort out here for Jim McIntyre and co. If he can stay fit, County would love to keep Chris Burke around longer, even if he has recently turned 33. The system relies heavily on the wide players and Burke’s play has been key in what has otherwise been a struggling side this season. 
Davies, as mentioned, will probably leave with his family keen to return south. Erik Cikos could stick around but he’ll have to get back in the team first. Ryan Dow will, plainly, just have to start playing better. 
There is an interesting decision to be made up front with both Alex Schalk and Craig Curran sitting on expiring deals. Neither seems capable of cementing a starting job alongside Liam Boyce, and yet both are dependable talents at this level, especially Curran, who seems to bring out the best in Boyce. 
Then there’s Kenny van der Weg, Jonathan Franks and Martin Woods. As I said, there’s a lot for Jim McIntyre and co to sort out.

Is Davies really expected to leave again, I think he's been in top form beside Jay these last couple of weeks?  Maybe Fraser and Jay could be the future of our central defence if Davies and Quinn are going to leave?
Can or should we try to resign Curran and Schalk again, neither have looked prolific so far this season?

I don't necessarily think whoever wrote it has much insight into how we play or what's happening in the club. We've been stronger defensively because of a stronger and more effective midfield. My understanding is that the Davies situation with his family has been resolved and Kenny gets a mention at the end despite playing in the stronger defence.

im not sure about his comment about Curran not being able to cement a starting partnership with Boyce. There have been issues with both being fit and available this season, but when they both are I think it's Jims preferred option and is certainly mine. Having said that, I do agree that, with the current squad, Burke is the key. If he cab get a good run I would look for top six, if he isn't going to get that we need another wide player. Happy to say goodbye to Franks and Woods to free up money.