The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 minutes ago, Spain said:

Meekings, Draper and then a random winger signed out of nowhere at some point and that'll be us. That's my prediction.

Aye, I'd go with that.
Reasonably sure we'll come to some agreement with Woods by the window's close too :unsure2:

Meekings was spotted in Dundee training kit a few days ago.  I'm surprised he hasn't signed for someone yet.  I just have a hunch it won't be for County.

What a change 12 months make for Davies.  This time last year it looked like he was being squeezed out, with Quinn and Jay the medium term solution.  Now Davies is quite rightly the central pillar to everything.  He was outstanding vs Hibs.  The concern is that he will have to be used sparingly over the next two years as age catches up.

24 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Meekings was spotted in Dundee training kit a few days ago.  I'm surprised he hasn't signed for someone yet.  I just have a hunch it won't be for County.

What a change 12 months make for Davies.  This time last year it looked like he was being squeezed out, with Quinn and Jay the medium term solution.  Now Davies is quite rightly the central pillar to everything.  He was outstanding vs Hibs.  The concern is that he will have to be used sparingly over the next two years as age catches up.

I wouldn't ever say he was being squeezed out - I just think everyone expected his agent to be able to manufacture a deal.  Nobody bit, so he stayed, leading to surplus of centre backs.  
Davies is comfortably the best centre half ever to play for County.  It's not even close.  I liked it best when ICT targeted him in the air, for some unknown reason.

5 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

What a change 12 months make for Davies.  This time last year it looked like he was being squeezed out, with Quinn and Jay the medium term solution. 

He wasn't being "squeezed out" as such though, was he?  He said he wanted to leave and we were planning for a season post-Davies until he changed his mind / couldn't find a club that was willing to pay him as much as us.

9 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I was trawling the web for Josh Meekings news, and found this:
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-manager-neil-mccann-says-josh-meekings-just-training-club/

Seems to be McCann distancing himself from signing him, despite rating him.  Maybe doesn't have room/funds for another centre-half?
If County were after Meekings I imagine more would have been said by now, but there have semi-consistent rumblings, so I'm still hopeful.

Aye, Davies has been colossal, I hope we can get another two good years out of him.

Just my ill-informed impression of Jim sticking Davies wide of the back three from day 1 and then making Quinn captain as soon as he could.  Jimbo clearly needed to plan ahead but it looked to me that Quinn signing in Jan '16 was the beginning of the end of Davies's career at County.  I'm glad that I got that call wrong. 

1 minute ago, bunglebonce said:

Just my ill-informed impression of Jim sticking Davies wide of the back three from day 1 and then making Quinn captain as soon as he could.  Jimbo clearly needed to plan ahead but it looked to me that Quinn signing in Jan '16 was the beginning of the end of Davies's career at County.  I'm glad that I got that call wrong. 

You might have read it fine, and it was Jim that made the wrong call, taking c.12 months to remedy it?

42 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I should spout more conspiracy theories.

You can be the Alex Jones of Ross County.  John Robertson sacks kids and storms out of the dressing room? Scott Boyd on the naughty step? Jim McIntrye eats babies?  

1 hour ago, Spain said:

Meekings, Draper and then a random winger signed out of nowhere at some point and that'll be us. That's my prediction.

Must be about time Doran signs for you lot?

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I wouldn't ever say he was being squeezed out - I just think everyone expected his agent to be able to manufacture a deal.  Nobody bit, so he stayed, leading to surplus of centre backs.  
Davies is comfortably the best centre half ever to play for County.  It's not even close.  I liked it best when ICT targeted him in the air, for some unknown reason.

Thank you Richie Foran :(

2 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

I was trawling the web for Josh Meekings news, and found this:
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-manager-neil-mccann-says-josh-meekings-just-training-club/

Seems to be McCann distancing himself from signing him, despite rating him.  Maybe doesn't have room/funds for another centre-half?
If County were after Meekings I imagine more would have been said by now, but there have semi-consistent rumblings, so I'm still hopeful.

Aye, Davies has been colossal, I hope we can get another two good years out of him.

One thing we don't need is another crocked centre back so I would imagine that McCann is probably interested in Meekings but may want to assess him fully. Despite having six CBs theoretically  in first team contention, two are out long term (in one instance perhaps permanently), another, Gadzhalov, has only managed one half of an under 20 game so far, O' Dea seems to have an ongoing niggle that manifests itself every so often  and the other two are raw young lads with potential.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

One thing we don't need is another crocked centre back so I would imagine that McCann is probably interested in Meekings but may want to assess him fully. Despite having six CBs theoretically  in first team contention, two are out long term (in one instance perhaps permanently), another, Gadzhalov, has only managed one half of an under 20 game so far, O' Dea seems to have an ongoing niggle that manifests itself every so often  and the other two are raw young lads with potential.

Thanks man, good to get a fuller picture.

1 minute ago, frankthetank22 said:

Jay McEveley signs for Tranmere Rovers. 

It maybe saved on the compensation if he had a club that'll play him to go to.

Bit of a homecoming for him too, sure he's a Scouser that started at Everton, must have been a no-brainer when they came in.
Aye, likely/hopefully saved on the compo too.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Almost like Foran didn't have a plan B...

I wouldn't mind seeing Meekings here, but I think that ship has sailed, club don't seem that interested in him so far, at least.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Pretty sure Meekings has been using Dundee for his rehab for the past month.  Some Dundee fan put a pic of him up in the training gear and folk have put 2 and 2 together.  He's no where near fit apparently.  Hence why his last game was f**k knows when. I can't even remember the last time he played football.

He's fair game, when he's fit. Whenever that'll be.

Edit - If County or anyone sign him now they'll be signing guy who will be sat in the stands for the next while. Real shame for the guy as he's fucking brilliant.  He absolutely strolls the Premiership.  Fine goalkeeper too.

Edited by TheScarf

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Pretty sure Meekings has been using Dundee for his rehab for the past month.  Some Dundee fan put a pic of him up in the training gear and folk have put 2 and 2 together.  He's no where near fit apparently.  Hence why his last game was f**k knows when. I can't even remember the last time he played football.

He's fair game, when he's fit. Whenever that'll be.

Edit - If County or anyone sign him now they'll be signing guy who will be sat in the stands for the next while. Real shame for the guy as he's fucking brilliant.  He absolutely strolls the Premiership.  Fine goalkeeper too.

Do you know what his injury problems are? 

Asking for a friend...

This says he hasn't played since the derby at Hogmanay, that sound right?

http://int.soccerway.com/players/josh-meekings/195235/

Edited by dingdong1929

5 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

Do you know what his injury problems are? 

Asking for a friend...

This says he hasn't played since the derby at Hogmanay, that sound right?

http://int.soccerway.com/players/josh-meekings/195235/

His knee is goosed.  No idea which one.  But yeah 6 months sounds about right.  Him and Doran have been crocked for ages and they are/were 2 of our top earners.

Our injuries since we won the cup in 2015 have been fucking disgusting.  There's something not right.