The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

2 hours ago, Jayhawks said:
Possibly true if someone suggested a management team of  Russell Grant and  Christopher Biggins.

Why these two specifically? #nohomo

Are you ok with Russell Crowe and Christopher Walken? #getagrip

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I have an unspecific memory of Coyle not being arsed much when he was here as a player. Why did he only last five games?

Was it not only ever a short-term loan?
Not sure... I dont remember being surprised when he went back, but I was hitting life pretty hard back then!

Can only find this online, mentions he played for us when he could have been on bench v Celtic,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/1060644.stm

ETA:  Just found this, signed in Dec 2000 and was only short term, then extended till Feb 01.  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/1084042.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dunfermline_athletic/1083811.stm

Staggies Archive has only six games between his signing and end Feb, he started all of them -  4 league and 2 cup.
Last game was the 2-3 against Rangers (Bone double)
http://www.staggiearchive.co.uk/matches.php?

Edited by dingdong1929

1/5 on Owen Coyle. That seems significant.

Scottish Manager odds are notoriously reliant in bets placed more than the bookies having any idea. Tommy Wright was an absolutely massive odds on figure to be Uniteds manager days after it was confirmed he wasn't going.

Scottish Manager odds are notoriously reliant in bets placed more than the bookies having any idea. Tommy Wright was an absolutely massive odds on figure to be Uniteds manager days after it was confirmed he wasn't going.

I figured that might be the case. I also figured that it’s a stupid bet as it’s pure guess work, unless you have inside info. Hence Coyle’s odds being so short.

I figured that might be the case. I also figured that it’s a stupid bet as it’s pure guess work, unless you have inside info. Hence Coyle’s odds being so short.

Fair enough. Worth noting he's a high profile out of work manager who's been the favourite for three jobs in this country in the past eight months and who was on the radio last week. He's an obvious bet.

14 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

Are you ok with Russell Crowe and Christopher Walken? #getagrip

To be fair to Estragon, it would have seemed a lot less homophobic and an equally valid point if you had said those two originally.

Obviously things can get lost in delivery, especially in out of context posts on the internet, but it read a bit like the most ridiculous shout possible was two gay men who aren't involved in football; the implication being it wasn't enough for them to not be involved in football - to be truly ridiculous they had to also be gay.
Apologies if it was just coincidence, some of us (I may be projecting here, I mean me, and maybe Estragon, and maybe(hopefully) others) are a bit sensitive to perceived homophobia in football.

Don't want to take a massive tangent with this, or some awful argument on homophobia, but given the tit-for-tat already I thought I'd try and explain why I greenied Estragon's post.
Again, apologies if I've misunderstood the reasoning behind your post.

Owen Coyle eh?

Complaints of his previous jobs have been about him being tactically incompetent and not training his players hard enough.  Two minutes of Google research bring countless claims to back that up. 

On the flipside he has worked at and done okay at a level far higher than Ross County.  He has given a platform to and helped develop players like Daniel Sturrige and Jack Wilshire before their peak. 

Spoiler

He is a teetotal Christian apparently, so he should fit into the culture, values and desire part of the job description. 

Edited by bunglebonce

Coyle reinvigorated our club and I wouldn't underestimate how important his influence is in where we are now. We had been going no where but down for years - John Connolly filled his squad with jobbers and we were a couple of result reversals away from finishing 9th and being relegated to division 2 when Coyle took over.  He came in, brought in some very decent players and turned us into promotion seekers in the space of a year , finishing 2nd to St Mirren and then Gretna in consecutive seasons, and regular semi finalists in the major cup competitions which we carried on after his departure. He seemed to run out of steam a bit with us and left at the right time (although results did start to improve after a poor start the year after Gretna before he left), but his enthusiasm and contacts really did drive us forward. Geoff Brown loved working with him and, if he still has the same drive as he did with us, he'll work very hard to improve your team and push you up the table. One thing Uncle Roy will do is make sure he's got a decent budget to use and Coyle's recruitment was largely decent with us. I think this is a great appointment for County.

Edited by Kyle

Hard to know what to think of Coyle. Obviously he had good spells at St Johnstone & Burnley but it's all been a bit downhill after that, and didn't even manage a year at either Wigan or Blackburn. But you'd like to hope he's made contacts down south so should have a better record of bringing in players than McIntyre at least. Not really fussed if we play a short, possession-based passing game or not, just so long as he can find a formation & his best 11 players really.

Bit worried about the questions about tactical competence mind, and I'll be quite honest, surprised we've found someone this quickly if Roy was telling the truth about not even thinking about candidates until Jim & Billy were out the door (which could well be nonsense I suppose)

Basically, I haven't a clue how to react. Someone tell me how to think.

Edited by forkboy

Hard to know what to think of Coyle. Obviously he had good spells at St Johnstone & Burnley but it's all been a bit downhill after that, and didn't even manage a year at either Wigan or Blackburn. But you'd like to hope he's made contacts down south so should have a better record of bringing in players than McIntyre at least. Not really fussed if we play a short, possession-based passing game or not, just so long as he can find a formation & his best 11 players really.
Bit worried about the questions about tactical competence mind, and I'll be quite honest, surprised we've found someone this quickly if Roy was telling the truth about not even thinking about candidates until Jim & Billy were out the door (which could well be nonsense I suppose)
Basically, I haven't a clue how to react. Someone tell me how to think.

Keith Jackson wrote that article.

I need some medicine.

3 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

To be fair to Estragon, it would have seemed a lot less homophobic and an equally valid point if you had said those two originally.

Obviously things can get lost in delivery, especially in out of context posts on the internet, but it read a bit like the most ridiculous shout possible was two gay men who aren't involved in football; the implication being it wasn't enough for them to not be involved in football - to be truly ridiculous they had to also be gay.
Apologies if it was just coincidence, some of us (I may be projecting here, I mean me, and maybe Estragon, and maybe(hopefully) others) are a bit sensitive to perceived homophobia in football.

Don't want to take a massive tangent with this, or some awful argument on homophobia, but given the tit-for-tat already I thought I'd try and explain why I greenied Estragon's post.
Again, apologies if I've misunderstood the reasoning behind your post.

The fact that it was construed as homophobic genuinely astonishes me, it was supposed to suggest that two people with very different skill sets would be absurd choices as County's next management team i.e. An astrologer and a pantomime star. I do sometimes wonder if people spend their days looking to be offended and I do struggle with a mindset that suggests that we should treat the gay community as out with the social mainstream. I couldn't care less if anyone is gay, lesbian,bi etc , I prefer to think of everyone as human first, second and last. I can assure you that it was entirely coincidental that my post named both gentlemen and I do find it revealing that instead of considering where their actual talents lie the first thing some people define them by is their sexuality!

Anyhoo, in the spirit of your post, I will accept your apologies.