The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Coyle reinvigorated our club and I wouldn't underestimate how important his influence is in where we are now. We had been going no where but down for years - John Connolly filled his squad with jobbers and we were a couple of result reversals away from finishing 9th and being relegated to division 2 when Coyle took over.  He came in, brought in some very decent players and turned us into promotion seekers in the space of a year , finishing 2nd to St Mirren and then Gretna in consecutive seasons, and regular semi finalists in the major cup competitions which we carried on after his departure. He seemed to run out of steam a bit with us and left at the right time (although results did start to improve after a poor start the year after Gretna before he left), but his enthusiasm and contacts really did drive us forward. Geoff Brown loved working with him and, if he still has the same drive as he did with us, he'll work very hard to improve your team and push you up the table. One thing Uncle Roy will do is make sure he's got a decent budget to use and Coyle's recruitment was largely decent with us. I think this is a great appointment for County.

More of this kind of talk please.

Would echo what Kyle said, Coyle was the starting point in our reinvigoration that continues apace. McInnes took it on again and you could argue was more streetwise to get us winning the league. But Coyle really galvanised the place, we played some great football and some of the cup results were a joy.

That was quite a while ago though. It's hard to know where he's at now in terms of enthusiasm after a few fairly middling spells at various places. He also maybe left us at the right time, he seemed to have run out of folk to sign, invariably players he'd previously worked with/coached. Kevin James is in the police now so probably unavailable.

Posted in the Falkirk thread about Coyle. The chat was that he was Motherwell's preferred choice after McGhee was emptied and he was keen on the job. Apparently it fell through as it transpired that him taking it would have had an impact on his pay-out from Blackburn. Given we indicated we were looking at making a quick appointment then missed that deadline, opened the job up to interview and ended up appointing the guy who was interim manager anyway suggests that our first choice falling through doesn't seem that outlandish.

I'll be interested to see how he does at County. For all he's clearly a joke figure down in England he was successful at St Johnstone and Burnley while 3 of his last 4 clubs have been/are absolute basket cases so other than saying he's made some dreadful career choices I'm not sure how much you can read into his time at those clubs. County are a pretty stable club and reading Uncle Roy's comments about there not being the right "chemistry" and "blend" in the team is quite telling.

It's going back a bit but Kevin Davies' comments on Coyle at Bolton are illuminating in that respect:

England striker Davies said: “The manager is a very infectious character and wants players to have a smile on their face. He has great enthusiasm and it rubs off on other people. He demands a lot from his players but he wants them to enjoy themselves and express themselves when they play and work.

“It is difficult in football to keep 25 grown men happy. No one is happy when they miss out but he has a knack of keeping everyone happy.

“You see it in games when the subs come on and they are given a chance to make an impression.

“When we come in on a Monday morning – and it will be the same this week – you can never tell whether we have won or lost. This one is a difficult one to take. We have only really lost to the big teams but we will get back together and get ready for West Brom on Boxing Day.

“The fact we are disappointed with this defeat shows how far we have come under Owen and now we have to bounce back.”

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Gives me another chance to snigger at this at least.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/24/bolton-owen-coyle-style-of-football/

I think getting wrapped up in these stats is the road to detachment from the actual purpose of a football team - Michael Cox has a hell of a lot to answer for! When Leicester won the league they had the third WORST possession stats and the second WORST passing stats in the league. Will wait until I see results on the park before sniggerisation! 

22 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

pretentious things

The f**k?

"The fact that it was construed as homophobic genuinely astonishes me, " 
Really?  Other posters being wary of homophobia in football genuinely astonishes you?  Its genuinely astonishing for your post about two gay men to be construed as about gay men?
You're either enviably naive about the issue or protesting a bit much.

"it was supposed to suggest that two people with very different skill sets would be absurd choices as County's next management team i.e. An astrologer and a pantomime star." 
Good, thats what Estragon and I were hoping to confirm. 

"I do sometimes wonder if people spend their days looking to be offended"
I wasn't.  You gave two gay men as an example of ridiculous appointments and we questioned why you chose two gay men.

"I do struggle with a mindset that suggests that we should treat the gay community as out with the social mainstream. I couldn't care less if anyone is gay, lesbian,bi etc , I prefer to think of everyone as human first, second and last." 
Good.  That's what normal people should do.   

"I can assure you that it was entirely coincidental that my post named both gentlemen"
Fair enough.

"I do find it revealing that instead of considering where their actual talents lie the first thing some people define them by is their sexuality!"
What are you implying  by this? 

"Anyhoo, in the spirit of your post, I will accept your apologies."
Given the rest of your post this is patronising.

I explained why Estragon and I had asked the question (which is all we did), conceded things can get lost in delivery, and I apologised twice if that had been the case.  
So you dismissed any potential for your post about two gay men to have been about gay men, and implied I spend my time looking to be offended,  treat the gay community as outwith the social mainstream, and define folk by their sexuality. 
I'm done with this. 
The above questions are rhetorical.

[Edited to remove the angry bit]

Edited by dingdong1929

The one thing you can rely on Coyle doing is generally lifting spirits around the place and I'd expect him to be a decent appointment in the short-to-medium term. His positivity marked a massive change around saints from the aimlessness of the preceding 4 years or so and the cup runs help laid the financial foundations for a bigger push at promotion.

His early recruitment was really good and he brought a spine of "winners" to the squad in comparison to some of the wage thieves of the previous years. That said they're was some horror signings as his reign went on - McLaren, Daal and Stewart being highlights.

He definitely left at the right time. His biggest issues during his time at saints was he failure to solve the never ending goalkeeping crisis we were going through and being incredibly rigid tactically compared to the managers that have followed him.

Still incredibly thankful for what he did for saints. He was the perfect manager for our position at the time.

19 minutes ago, Jayhawks said:

I think getting wrapped up in these stats is the road to detachment from the actual purpose of a football team - Michael Cox has a hell of a lot to answer for! When Leicester won the league they had the third WORST possession stats and the second WORST passing stats in the league. Will wait until I see results on the park before sniggerisation! 

"Zonal whatever" is what I was sniggering at.  

2 hours ago, thekorean said:

I rememeber MLS side Houston Dynamo sacking Owen Coyle.

Bodes well.

Houston Dynamo are no diddies.  They've been the best team in the US twice since 2006 and have been runners-up twice as well.  Eight of their first team players are on salaries that would dwarf what is paid outside the Old Firm and there are another seven or eight with what would be very good Scottish Prem salaries, based on 2016 figures.  I don't think he was well regarded by the time he left mind you.

Edited by bunglebonce

20 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

The f**k?

"The fact that it was construed as homophobic genuinely astonishes me, " 
Really?  Other posters being wary of homophobia in football genuinely astonishes you?  You are dismissing any potential for your post about two gay men to be construed as about gay men?
You're either enviably naive about the issue or protesting a bit much.

"it was supposed to suggest that two people with very different skill sets would be absurd choices as County's next management team i.e. An astrologer and a pantomime star." 
Good, thats what Estragon and I were hoping to confirm. 

"I do sometimes wonder if people spend their days looking to be offended"
I wasn't.  You gave two gay men as an example of ridiculous appointments and we questioned why you chose two gay men.

"I do struggle with a mindset that suggests that we should treat the gay community as out with the social mainstream. I couldn't care less if anyone is gay, lesbian,bi etc , I prefer to think of everyone as human first, second and last." 
Good.  That's what normal people should do.   

"I can assure you that it was entirely coincidental that my post named both gentlemen"
Fair enough.

"I do find it revealing that instead of considering where their actual talents lie the first thing some people define them by is their sexuality!"
What are you implying  by this? 

"Anyhoo, in the spirit of your post, I will accept your apologies."
Given the rest of your post this is patronising.

I explained why Estragon and I had asked the question (which is all we did), conceded things can get lost in delivery, and I apologised twice if that had been the case.  
So you dismissed any potential for your post about two gay men to have been about gay men, and implied I spend my time looking to be offended,  treat the gay community as outwith the social mainstream, and define folk by their sexuality. 
I'm done with this. 
The above questions are rhetorical, ram them up your arse, if that isn't too homo-erotic for you.

I think there are help lines you can call.  Your last sentence is entirely offensive and frankly obscene. I too am " done with this", you can't have dialogue with someone who wants to create an issue where none actually exists. If you aren't prepared to respond without being abusive then  I choose not to engage . 

How's that for pretentious?

I think there are help lines you can call.  Your last sentence is entirely offensive and frankly obscene. I too am " done with this", you can't have dialogue with someone who wants to create an issue where none actually exists. If you aren't prepared to respond without being abusive then  I choose not to engage . 
How's that for pretentious?

Don't want to intrude but there was an issue and still is. It might not have been intentional but many of our problems of bias are unintentional. Using two gay people I'm sure wasn't at the forefront of your thoughts when you said it, but that was what came out. It takes a lot of thought and consideration to eliminate bias and prejudice in society. We all make mistakes or poor judgment but it's best to accept that and move on rather than defend the indefensible.

As an outsider with absolutely no insight, I thought the sacking of McIntyre was mental, but what the f**k do I know? You guys ken what's happening. 

If it's Coyle, then that, for me, is the sign of an ambitious club with an ambitious chairman looking to take the club to the next level.