The General Ross County Chat Thread

Happy with that.  Far better with Coyle than the other names being banded about.  He's got his work cut out big time with the squad hes been left though.  McGregor will be out with the cheque book again in January no doubt.

Edited by tintax

Cautiously optimistic about Coyle, I know his recent record is rather sketchy (putting that politely) but as mentioned previously you can make an argument that out of the 4 previous clubs, 2 of those were in complete disarray upon arrival and would have recurred a miracle to resolve. 

County are no where near that level of disarray and he has some time to look at the squad before the Jan transfer window where I'm sure we'll dip into again, bringing back memories of Derek spending his Christmas money.

37 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Cautiously optimistic about Coyle, I know his recent record is rather sketchy (putting that politely) but as mentioned previously you can make an argument that out of the 4 previous clubs, 2 of those were in complete disarray upon arrival and would have recurred a miracle to resolve. 

County are no where near that level of disarray and he has some time to look at the squad before the Jan transfer window where I'm sure we'll dip into again, bringing back memories of Derek spending his Christmas money.

The good thing is that the players who plainly aren't up to it are very obvious.  It's like when McIntyre took over from Adams, nobody was remotely surprised at the players who left.  Same here.  

Did you not say to me on the dab's thread that Coyle said he wasn't interested in returning to Scotland?

I thought I'd heard him on the radio a few months back saying he didn't want to return to Scotland as the facilities up here weren't good enough. Sure him and another manager, possibly Lambert, had said stuff like that. More than likely I'm wrong.

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought I'd heard him on the radio a few months back saying he didn't want to return to Scotland as the facilities up here weren't good enough. Sure him and another manager, possibly Lambert, had said stuff like that. More than likely I'm wrong.

Then he saw our facilities...

Aye

Yup. It was definitely Lambert, no idea why I thought Coyle had said the same.

I'm not as sure this'll be a good move for County as other Saints fans, I feel shite saying it as he completely turned the club around, but he wasn't close to McInnes' level. McInnes took us up, and then managed to get us through a tough second season by transforming the same squad of players into a strong defensive team, if Coyle had been in that situation I doubt we'd have survived the second season and grown from it.

A lot of Saints fans have a romanticised view of him due to what came before.

As I say though, I hope he does well, he was always likeable. I got to spend a few days working at McDiarmid when he was there, and it seemed like a good atmosphere (although trying to clear the astro of snow, being pelted by snowballs by the players then getting a telling off from Coyle for distracting players and not clearing the pitch quick enough definitely dont still hurt, he did later give me a signed photo of the squad with the entire teams signature though)

I'm sure it was Alex Neil.

You're maybe right. It was around the time McInnes was being linked with Sunderland so managers were being linked with Aberdeen. Neil seems the most likely based on that.

John McGinlay is chief scout / head of recruitment.  I like the sound of that.  He's done that role for Coyle before and has scouted for Strachan in NW England.

When I was about 11, I took to writing off to random English clubs for signed programmes, etc. John McGinlay sent me a signed photo, programme and shirt. Blackburn Rovers sent me a photocopy of Colin Hendry’s panini card.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The 'Scottish cringe' is rife among football managers.

Steven Presley, Gordon Strachan, Alex Neil, Paul Lambert, Billy Davies, Derek Adams and Owen Coyle are repeat offenders.

Edited by Hammer Jag

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

On that John McGinlay note, anyone else remember this...?

Class!  Always loved Darren Jackson's dummy on Boyd's through-ball, spent years trying to recreate it.

We'd had Bolton visit Victoria Park not long before that goal (Aug '94 - got pumped 7-0), so had a bit of a soft spot for them, and McGinlay was a Bolton icon back then, so he was a bit of a hero.

Also seems to have done a good job as a scout since retiring, so am pretty happy to have him aboard.

Edited by dingdong1929