The General Ross County Chat Thread

Well I'm obviously full of the Christmas spirit but it's fairly normal to expect some kind of reaction to the appointment of a new manager, this reaction has been diabolical. 

I believe we have the makings of a pretty decent team, a small squad but with some tenanted and some hard working players. Other than a first half against Motherwell and a first half against Killie we've been utter mince, this 433 hasn't worked and isn't working.

What's happened to the title winning development squad, DKD seems to be a sub at best nowadays and no one else seems to be getting even that far under OC.

Things were looking bad before that's why McIntyre and Dodds had to leave, they're a damn sight worse now.

The transfer window and winter break can't come quickly enough. 

Well I'm obviously full of the Christmas spirit but it's fairly normal to expect some kind of reaction to the appointment of a new manager, this reaction has been diabolical. 

I believe we have the makings of a pretty decent team, a small squad but with some tenanted and some hard working players. Other than a first half against Motherwell and a first half against Killie we've been utter mince, this 433 hasn't worked and isn't working.

What's happened to the title winning development squad, DKD seems to be a sub at best nowadays and no one else seems to be getting even that far under OC.

Things were looking bad before that's why McIntyre and Dodds had to leave, they're a damn sight worse now.
The transfer window and winter break can't come quickly enough. 

Couldn't disagree with you more.

GET BACKING THE MANAGER SO CALLED STAGGIE FANS!

I don’t normally do this as a fan you are entitled to your opinion but some of the so called Staggie fans right now calls on social media, fans pages and chat rooms has been embarrassing to say the least. It’s simple give Coyle a chance to turn around the mess he has inherited and start giving him some backing. He has not even had a transfer window yet to turn things around and bring it his own better quality players and people are calling for his head and some are coming out with the classic line of did not rate him or McIntyre & Dodds would have done better/sorted it out. Some of that is simply people trying to pop back at me etc. Which is petty and childish as I was proved right as regards McIntyre been bad for the club long term. Look at the mess he left. A lot of the carry on from McIntyre and Dodds in the changing room and off the field was been kept hush hush by their friends in the media and that is why Roy, despite been loyal to them, was left with no option but to get rid as it was doing damage to the clubs reputation as a family club but also in dealing with agents and players who would not sign or deal with the club because of the rep the 2 of them had gained with their nonsense. Don’t believe me, look at the facts. Their first full season in charge they were able to recruit some decent quality players and beat other clubs to them. The following 2 windows after the proverbial started to hit the fan the only players they could attract was players that other clubs did not want such as McEvely, Dow, McKay, Mikelson, Kelly all on over inflated wages and contracts. All fans could see it. For past 2 seasons we could see that we needed to sign another younger commanding Centre Half with pace but instead all we could get was McEvely & Quinn. We have been shouting for a holding midfielder since Murdoch went yet we sign a numerous midfielders (one on loan which if rumour is to believed we are contractually obliged to provide so many starts/hours of game time as part of the T & C’s of the deal which shows the sort of mess which Coyle took over and has to work with) none of which fit the bill. We all knew Boyce would move on in the summer due to finishing SPFL top scorer yet all Jim and Billy could attracted was an injured player who had 2 consecutive back to back relegations behind him and a striker who played championship football the season before and was not prolific. So fans are blaming Coyle yet look what he has to work with as a starter for 10 without even having a window to change it. Oh and if you think that McIntyre & Dodds had a better record in the league than Coyle then these stats will put it to bed.

McIntyre Stats in charge in League this season:

Played 7, Won 1, Drew 1, Lost 5, 4 Points, Goals For 5, Goals Against 14, Goal Difference -9
* Conceded in every league game under McIntyre
* 3 Games beaten by 2 or more goals of a difference
Ave points per game 0.57
Ave goals per game 0.72
Ave goals against per game 2
Win percentage 14%

Coyle Stats in Charge in League this season to date:

Played 13, Won 3, Drew 3, Lost 7, 12 Points, Goals For 15, Goals Against 19, Goal Difference -4
* 3 clean sheets
* 1 game beaten by 2 or more goals (Home v Dundee last minute break away when pushing for draw)
* Ave points per game 0.92
* Ave goals for per game 1.15
* Ave goals Against per game 1.46
* Win percentage 23%

So it’s very clear to see the improvement Coyle has made he has come in by looking at the average stats. In fact it highlights how bad we were under McIntyre & Dodds and going on those averages if we had stuck with them as some fans had suggested we would currently on the form the club was under them be siting on about 8 points which means we would have been in last place 9 points adrift from the play off place rather than currently been 1 point off play off place and a 2-0 win tonight off 10th place. Coyle has reduced down the goals against ratio whilst increasing the goals for ratio which shows a good manager. Under Mcintyre we were not averaging a goal a game yet we were conceding an average of 2 so we were set up with players and formation to drop points and lose games. As Coyle keeps saying it’s fine margins that County have to turn around to gain the points and it shows as under Coyle he has only lost 1 game by more than a 2 Goal Difference and that was a last minute break away and mistake by County Keeper. The stats show that Coyle has managed to work with what he has to make us much more competitive and once he has an opportunity to bring in more quality in Window and by all accounts there is a lot of quality coming in as well as dross going out then we will turn around those scorelines and more importantly get the points needed. Coyle has also been hamstrung by squad size and injury. Davies the only true recognised centre half started in all McIntyres games yet under Coyle he has been injured twice in games which has resulted in games been draws and then missing following games where we lost. (Hearts, Dundee, Killie, Hamilton) Bar Hearts these are all teams down around us so to have your only recognised signed centre half injured and then out for the following game is more bad luck than bad managment. As highlighted it’s not Coyle’s fault that he inherited a squad with only one recognised signed centre half signed so he has to play a combination of full backs and centre midfielders in that position.

On the point of luck or in this case poor ref decisions going against Coyle at this time. In the past 4 games County have had ref calls go against them that could have resulted in 5 more points gained with other teams around dropping points against them. Last minute pen against Rangers away for blatant push on Davies in box (seen them given), Red card for Kris Boyd diving and ref gave foul but failed to book for 2nd yellow (Boyd would not have been on park to score deflected equaliser) Free Kick for Hamilton’s 3rd Goal was a slip by Imrie and no foul (footage showed ref got wrong and game would have finished in draw) last minute equaliser against Hibs away ruled out for debatable off side (again seen them given). If we had the rub of the green and the officials got these decisions correct then the league table would look like this at present:

(1) Celtic 50pts
(2) Aberdeen 39pts
(3) Rangers 34pts
(4) Hibs 31pts
(5) Hearts 28pts
(6) St John 25pts
(7) Mwell 24pts
(8) Killie 22pts
(9) County 21pts
(10) Dundee 19pts
(11) Accies 18pts
(12) Thistle 17pts

So people are criticising Coyle’s after match comments but he is spot on when he said about fine margins and decisions changing games as the table above and stats show that. I doubt if the correct ref decisions had taken place would fans be criticising Coyle as we would be a win tonight away from going up to 7th with a poss finishing the year in top 6 with a win. Coyle is spot on with if he can get the quality in then we will be in a better position at end of seasons as that is the time when league positions are handed out! Players have to take responsibility on and off the field as well as I know Coyle in the past week has had to deal with alleged off field discipline resulting in a senior player been dropped to the bench as well as 2 other senior players involved. At a time when your team is struggling you would expect senior pros to take the lead & responsibility but clearly that is not the case so with window coming up best thing to do is get rid and get players, especially senior pros, in who want to be there and achieve. In the days of Brittain & Boyd that sort of carry on would have been stopped straight away but again it shows the type of changing room & squad that Coyle has inherited. That was obvious last season at end when they went on unbeaten run but it shows the difference Coyle has made so far that he has managed to improve the teams aveage with same players.

So simply start to back the manager and he does not deserve the criticism or calls for his head as he has not had a Window yet. It’s obvious he knows what he is doing. Coyle is an experienced manager and I am an experienced fan and I am backing the man as the time to judge is in May when the league positions are finalised and at that’s point I am very confident both Coyle as well as me will be due an apology for comments posted on line and Roy will be vindicated in his decision to change manager. Coyle will then get a full summer window to reshape the squad and change the ethos in changing room to see a real Owen Coyle team which I am excited for as look at the sides he put out at StJohnstone & Burnley.

Nobody was calling for Dodds n McIntyre to leave before their 1st transfer window, even after we were humbled 5-0 by Celtic at GES.

Give the man a chance to build a team rather than having to deal with his predecessors team, except Eagles, some of whom aren't even Championship standard.

23 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

Couldn't disagree with you more.

GET BACKING THE MANAGER SO CALLED STAGGIE FANS!

I don’t normally do this as a fan you are entitled to your opinion but some of the so called Staggie fans right now calls on social media, fans pages and chat rooms has been embarrassing to say the least. It’s simple give Coyle a chance to turn around the mess he has inherited and start giving him some backing. He has not even had a transfer window yet to turn things around and bring it his own better quality players and people are calling for his head and some are coming out with the classic line of did not rate him or McIntyre & Dodds would have done better/sorted it out. Some of that is simply people trying to pop back at me etc. Which is petty and childish as I was proved right as regards McIntyre been bad for the club long term. Look at the mess he left. A lot of the carry on from McIntyre and Dodds in the changing room and off the field was been kept hush hush by their friends in the media and that is why Roy, despite been loyal to them, was left with no option but to get rid as it was doing damage to the clubs reputation as a family club but also in dealing with agents and players who would not sign or deal with the club because of the rep the 2 of them had gained with their nonsense. Don’t believe me, look at the facts. Their first full season in charge they were able to recruit some decent quality players and beat other clubs to them. The following 2 windows after the proverbial started to hit the fan the only players they could attract was players that other clubs did not want such as McEvely, Dow, McKay, Mikelson, Kelly all on over inflated wages and contracts. All fans could see it. For past 2 seasons we could see that we needed to sign another younger commanding Centre Half with pace but instead all we could get was McEvely & Quinn. We have been shouting for a holding midfielder since Murdoch went yet we sign a numerous midfielders (one on loan which if rumour is to believed we are contractually obliged to provide so many starts/hours of game time as part of the T & C’s of the deal which shows the sort of mess which Coyle took over and has to work with) none of which fit the bill. We all knew Boyce would move on in the summer due to finishing SPFL top scorer yet all Jim and Billy could attracted was an injured player who had 2 consecutive back to back relegations behind him and a striker who played championship football the season before and was not prolific. So fans are blaming Coyle yet look what he has to work with as a starter for 10 without even having a window to change it. Oh and if you think that McIntyre & Dodds had a better record in the league than Coyle then these stats will put it to bed.

McIntyre Stats in charge in League this season:

Played 7, Won 1, Drew 1, Lost 5, 4 Points, Goals For 5, Goals Against 14, Goal Difference -9
* Conceded in every league game under McIntyre
* 3 Games beaten by 2 or more goals of a difference
Ave points per game 0.57
Ave goals per game 0.72
Ave goals against per game 2
Win percentage 14%

Coyle Stats in Charge in League this season to date:

Played 13, Won 3, Drew 3, Lost 7, 12 Points, Goals For 15, Goals Against 19, Goal Difference -4
* 3 clean sheets
* 1 game beaten by 2 or more goals (Home v Dundee last minute break away when pushing for draw)
* Ave points per game 0.92
* Ave goals for per game 1.15
* Ave goals Against per game 1.46
* Win percentage 23%

So it’s very clear to see the improvement Coyle has made he has come in by looking at the average stats. In fact it highlights how bad we were under McIntyre & Dodds and going on those averages if we had stuck with them as some fans had suggested we would currently on the form the club was under them be siting on about 8 points which means we would have been in last place 9 points adrift from the play off place rather than currently been 1 point off play off place and a 2-0 win tonight off 10th place. Coyle has reduced down the goals against ratio whilst increasing the goals for ratio which shows a good manager. Under Mcintyre we were not averaging a goal a game yet we were conceding an average of 2 so we were set up with players and formation to drop points and lose games. As Coyle keeps saying it’s fine margins that County have to turn around to gain the points and it shows as under Coyle he has only lost 1 game by more than a 2 Goal Difference and that was a last minute break away and mistake by County Keeper. The stats show that Coyle has managed to work with what he has to make us much more competitive and once he has an opportunity to bring in more quality in Window and by all accounts there is a lot of quality coming in as well as dross going out then we will turn around those scorelines and more importantly get the points needed. Coyle has also been hamstrung by squad size and injury. Davies the only true recognised centre half started in all McIntyres games yet under Coyle he has been injured twice in games which has resulted in games been draws and then missing following games where we lost. (Hearts, Dundee, Killie, Hamilton) Bar Hearts these are all teams down around us so to have your only recognised signed centre half injured and then out for the following game is more bad luck than bad managment. As highlighted it’s not Coyle’s fault that he inherited a squad with only one recognised signed centre half signed so he has to play a combination of full backs and centre midfielders in that position.

On the point of luck or in this case poor ref decisions going against Coyle at this time. In the past 4 games County have had ref calls go against them that could have resulted in 5 more points gained with other teams around dropping points against them. Last minute pen against Rangers away for blatant push on Davies in box (seen them given), Red card for Kris Boyd diving and ref gave foul but failed to book for 2nd yellow (Boyd would not have been on park to score deflected equaliser) Free Kick for Hamilton’s 3rd Goal was a slip by Imrie and no foul (footage showed ref got wrong and game would have finished in draw) last minute equaliser against Hibs away ruled out for debatable off side (again seen them given). If we had the rub of the green and the officials got these decisions correct then the league table would look like this at present:

(1) Celtic 50pts
(2) Aberdeen 39pts
(3) Rangers 34pts
(4) Hibs 31pts
(5) Hearts 28pts
(6) St John 25pts
(7) Mwell 24pts
(8) Killie 22pts
(9) County 21pts
(10) Dundee 19pts
(11) Accies 18pts
(12) Thistle 17pts

So people are criticising Coyle’s after match comments but he is spot on when he said about fine margins and decisions changing games as the table above and stats show that. I doubt if the correct ref decisions had taken place would fans be criticising Coyle as we would be a win tonight away from going up to 7th with a poss finishing the year in top 6 with a win. Coyle is spot on with if he can get the quality in then we will be in a better position at end of seasons as that is the time when league positions are handed out! Players have to take responsibility on and off the field as well as I know Coyle in the past week has had to deal with alleged off field discipline resulting in a senior player been dropped to the bench as well as 2 other senior players involved. At a time when your team is struggling you would expect senior pros to take the lead & responsibility but clearly that is not the case so with window coming up best thing to do is get rid and get players, especially senior pros, in who want to be there and achieve. In the days of Brittain & Boyd that sort of carry on would have been stopped straight away but again it shows the type of changing room & squad that Coyle has inherited. That was obvious last season at end when they went on unbeaten run but it shows the difference Coyle has made so far that he has managed to improve the teams aveage with same players.

So simply start to back the manager and he does not deserve the criticism or calls for his head as he has not had a Window yet. It’s obvious he knows what he is doing. Coyle is an experienced manager and I am an experienced fan and I am backing the man as the time to judge is in May when the league positions are finalised and at that’s point I am very confident both Coyle as well as me will be due an apology for comments posted on line and Roy will be vindicated in his decision to change manager. Coyle will then get a full summer window to reshape the squad and change the ethos in changing room to see a real Owen Coyle team which I am excited for as look at the sides he put out at StJohnstone & Burnley.

Nobody was calling for Dodds n McIntyre to leave before their 1st transfer window, even after we were humbled 5-0 by Celtic at GES.

Give the man a chance to build a team rather than having to deal with his predecessors team, except Eagles, some of whom aren't even Championship standard.

Are you Owen Coyle's mum by any chance?  Welcome to P&B, that's an unnecessarily long opening post/rant.

2 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Nope I certainly am no relation of Mr Coyle just a passionate fan of the Staggies. Been registered on here for ages but just been a reader of other peoples stuff before deciding to post in response to you

You might want to point out the bits where anyone called for Coyle to go.

in as few words as possible...

so anyway, who are we going to land in the Transfer Windy?
They have to be an improvement on what we have or no point. I suspect a central defender is a priority, as we can't rely on Davies - and his heroic defending style - so much.

• A target man
• Backup centre half
• Backup right back (incase of Naismith injury)
• Not sure if we’ve sorted the wing problem or not with Eagles so maybe one more?

I would’ve said another support striker but we already have enough with Lexi, Curran and Billy Mckay who are all capable, so nae point.

I'd forgotten all about him. For all McInnes was desperate to get him, he's never really utilised hin.

It’s not like he hasn’t had game time. Tansey hasn’t yet had a good game for Aberdeen. Hooked twice at, or before, half time in recent appearances kinda says it all.

The player McInnes tried to sign 2 or 3 years ago seems to be a different animal to the one who finally joined the squad in the summer.

Seems like a nice lad but I doubt we would miss him. Perhaps Coyle wants to gamble on his fitness reunite him with Draper.

Tansey improved towards the end of last season for us but was too little too late. His form dipped around the time Aberdeen tried to sign him and he was never the same player. From what I understand he’s been poor for them this term, the only game I’ve watched him in was their defeat to Rangers at Ibrox and he was dire that night.

7 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Coyle's ego getting in the way of team affairs, why have O'Brien and Draper been excluded from the team.

I wouldn't give him a penny, I'd give him his p45!

Are you on the windup?

Despite the creeping horror of watching County at Easter Road and Firhill recently, the Tansey rumour is a sign of encouragement for me.  It at least hints that Coyle has a transfer strategy in mind and is looking for particular types of player to suit how he wants to play.

Tansey would be ear-marked for that holding-midfield role that Coyle has been playing Routis in his preferred 4-3-3,  Tansey hasn't been in good form for 18 months but he would have the platform to thrive again.  County certainly need someone who can open up the pitch from that area with quick switches in play, who won't go wandering elsewhere to leave huge gaps (Routis) and who won't lose nearly attempted tackle (O'Brien).

I'm concerned about Draper not featuring - I still maintain that he is one of the best at what he does and Coyle should be using him more rather than buying players for his own system, but it seems that Draper isn't part of the plans.  What a waste of money.

Edited by bunglebonce