The General Ross County Chat Thread

Posted in the Falkirk thread about Coyle. The chat was that he was Motherwell's preferred choice after McGhee was emptied and he was keen on the job. Apparently it fell through as it transpired that him taking it would have had an impact on his pay-out from Blackburn. Given we indicated we were looking at making a quick appointment then missed that deadline, opened the job up to interview and ended up appointing the guy who was interim manager anyway suggests that our first choice falling through doesn't seem that outlandish. I'll be interested to see how he does at County. For all he's clearly a joke figure down in England he was successful at St Johnstone and Burnley while 3 of his last 4 clubs have been/are absolute basket cases so other than saying he's made some dreadful career choices I'm not sure how much you can read into his time at those clubs. County are a pretty stable club and reading Uncle Roy's comments about there not being the right "chemistry" and "blend" in the team is quite telling. It's going back a bit but Kevin Davies' comments on Coyle at Bolton are illuminating in that respect:

England striker Davies said: “The manager is a very infectious character and wants players to have a smile on their face. He has great enthusiasm and it rubs off on other people. He demands a lot from his players but he wants them to enjoy themselves and express themselves when they play and work.

“It is difficult in football to keep 25 grown men happy. No one is happy when they miss out but he has a knack of keeping everyone happy.

“You see it in games when the subs come on and they are given a chance to make an impression.

“When we come in on a Monday morning – and it will be the same this week – you can never tell whether we have won or lost. This one is a difficult one to take. We have only really lost to the big teams but we will get back together and get ready for West Brom on Boxing Day.

“The fact we are disappointed with this defeat shows how far we have come under Owen and now we have to bounce back.”

When you refer to dreadful career choices I am reminded of him turning down Celtic for Bolton, giving all sorts of bollocks reasons for it too

Just now, Malcolm Malcolm said:

When you refer to dreadful career choices I am reminded of him turning down Celtic for Bolton, giving all sorts of bollocks reasons for it

If his Wiki is anything to go by (and who am I to doubt Wiki's veracity) he apparently turned down Celtic, signed a new deal with Burnley then moved to Bolton 6 months later with Burnley 14th in the Premier League and Bolton 18th.

He kept Bolton up in 14th place (season prior they'd finished 13th under Megson and 16th the season before that) and Burnley were relegated. He finished 14th in the Premiership the following season and got to the semi-final of the FA Cup. The season after they were relegated on the final day of the season and he was binned by October 2012.

Suffice to say that seems to have been where it seems to have gone wrong for him (lasted 23 games at Wigan and 37 at Blackburn with 1 season in Houston) but looking at it his time at Bolton wasn't actually as bad as it's made out. Kept them up twice with an FA Cup semi-final to boot.

Granted, knocking Celtic back (if indeed he did) to stay at Burnley only to jump ship for Bolton the same season is mentalist behaviour but he actually lasted longer at Bolton than I thought.

10 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

The one thing you can rely on Coyle doing is generally lifting spirits around the place and I'd expect him to be a decent appointment in the short-to-medium term. His positivity marked a massive change around saints from the aimlessness of the preceding 4 years or so and the cup runs help laid the financial foundations for a bigger push at promotion.

His early recruitment was really good and he brought a spine of "winners" to the squad in comparison to some of the wage thieves of the previous years. That said they're was some horror signings as his reign went on - McLaren, Daal and Stewart being highlights.

He definitely left at the right time. His biggest issues during his time at saints was he failure to solve the never ending goalkeeping crisis we were going through and being incredibly rigid tactically compared to the managers that have followed him.

Still incredibly thankful for what he did for saints. He was the perfect manager for our position at the time.

Dyron Daal's shown us his quality already, no need for any reminders.

Ever.

Have we ever appointed someone this quickly before? That's the surreal part of this. After Campbell was sacked Adams was caretaker for over a month before getting the job permanently. 

Actually, going by Wikipedia, Jimmy Calderwood came in 5 days after we got shot of Willie McStay. That's the quickest turnaround. I figured Fergie would get at least one game in charge but seemingly not.

39 minutes ago, Comrie said:

This entire affair was conducted with style and panache, and that's all that matters.

Compare and contrast that with what Killie did appointing LM 

We would have taken Coyle but our joke of a board don't have the style and panache or forethought that uncle Roy has . Or the deep pockets :)