The General Ross County Chat Thread

9 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Despite being a limited player he’s great to have in the squad and I’m sure that most County fans would be disappointed to see him leave.  There are many players who should go before he does, but there’s no doubt that he fits Robinson’s type of player.  Yet I wouldn’t say he’s the type of forward Robinson needs just now.

That was largely my take however I don't think it can be understated just how raging Robinson seems to be with the strikers he's currently got at the club. After the Rangers game he said he'd have to make more signings than he intended this window and post-Accies he was explicit;

"Louis Moult is a big miss right now. We have needed other players to step up and they haven't done that. You live and die by what you do at the top end. I'm now looking for two players in January and we have targets that we are speaking to. The run of results is not good enough."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42499064

"We know what we're missing - we created a lot of chances, I don't think there's a team in the country that puts more balls into the box but we don't look like scoring - outside of 'Tans' (Craig Tanner). We ran out of ideas and looked like a team that's desperate for the break. I'm desperate to get some fresh blood in because ultimately, strikers win you football matches. We need to make sure we get busy in the transfer window."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42524673

The only forward he seems happy with just now is Tanner as he's actually started to score goals and influence games but his post-match comments recently seem to suggest that both Bowman and (especially) Fisher's tea's oot. It wouldn't be a massive surprise to see one or both move in January.

In fairness to McManus his tweet is really only saying we're interested, not that it's a done deal or that it's happening. Going by Robinson's quotes I think it's fair to say we have a list of targets though I think most 'well fans would be a bit more comfortable with us trying to get someone in who at least has a track record of having scored goals at some point even if they're frozen out or out of favour at their current club or whatever.

Any of you guys know when Greg Morrison's loan spell at the Rock is officially up? Transfermarkt have it as today, but we've not put anything online to highlight that which is a bit unusual.
Don't know if it's the same but our Championship loanees don't return until after this weekends games. Not sure if that's common practice or just something we've done.

12 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

“First half of the season” is all I’ve seen.

Aye, that's all I've seen too unfortunately.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
13 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:
Any of you guys know when Greg Morrison's loan spell at the Rock is officially up? Transfermarkt have it as today, but we've not put anything online to highlight that which is a bit unusual.

Don't know if it's the same but our Championship loanees don't return until after this weekends games. Not sure if that's common practice or just something we've done.

That would probably make a bit more sense given our other loanee (Hearts' Ally Roy) is due back this weekend. Cheers guys :)

22 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Curran scores approx one in four, I don’t think he would improve the situation there.

He's like Emile Heskey, who I once heard described as "a great tracking-back striker".

Craig Curran runs about a lot, works hard as hell, and absolutely never hides.  Scores two or three crackers a season, can be relied upon for about ten more.  If County were challenging for the top six as was intended, I doubt he'd be playing as much as he is.  

Absolutely shite at penalties.  

On 07/01/2018 at 12:26, forkboy said:

Getting shot of McIntyre before he could bring in even more dreck in January was 100% the right thing to do.

It’s a futile debate now but I have never been convinced by the arguments for that. Coyle was clearly lined up as the replacement before Jim got his jotters and I have seen nothing from Coyle to suggest Roy triggering that sequence of events was anything but ill judged. 

The poster above rattled off a bunch of stats to try and convince us Coyle is doing a  better job than Jim. I think anyone who really believes that is a bit deluded. Coyle has accumulated 13 points from 45 and we are now rooted at the foot of the table. Jim took 22 from his last possible 45.

Coyle needs to get this transfer window spot on. Let’s hope he does. 

I'm not defending the appointment of Owen Coyle, I don't have strong feelings about him, but Jim McIntyre's signings were broadly absolutely abysmal and are why we are sat on the bottom and have had a honking 2017. But yes, I will agree that Coyle needs a very strong window. Because of the squad he was left by McIntyre. While I'm disappointed that Owen hasn't been able to reverse our abysmal habit of falling apart in the last half hour of games, it is a problem that predates his appointment.

Never mind the failure to adequately replace Liam Boyce, he had a year and didn't even manage to get a replacement for Jackson Irvine.

Edited by forkboy

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Greg Tansey coming to play with Ross Draper, I would hope.  

If Coyle had any sense he'd tweak his 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1, put Draper and Tansey together, Eagles off a new powerful striker and put some pace on the wing.  Bish bash bosh.  Except he'll continue to use Draper further up, isolate Tansey and Eagles will continue to casually concede a flank.

35 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

If Coyle had any sense he'd tweak his 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1, put Draper and Tansey together, Eagles off a new powerful striker and put some pace on the wing.  Bish bash bosh.  Except he'll continue to use Draper further up, isolate Tansey and Eagles will continue to casually concede a flank.

I'd have said that until the Jim O'Brien "disappearance".    I have no problem with Routis playing as one of the two, and one of Draper or Tansey further forward.  I quite like those three in principle. 

Tansey hasn’t been even close to good for us anytime he has played - weak, clumsy, and ponderous mostly.

He is also struggling with injuries so I am genuinely surprised this loan has gone through because it doesn’t seem like the type of signing County need.

That said, the Draper and Tansey center mid partnership of 3 seasons ago worked well. If they can rekindle that, perhaps it will pay off. I just can’t see it though.

I also heard that this deal was initiated and pushed by the RC board rather than Coyle. Ditto the interest in Cifci. Allegedly. Make of that what you will.

36 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Ditto the interest in Cifci. Allegedly

Plenty to ponder about but are there genuine rumours about Ciftci?  I put 2+2 in my head as a gamble worth taking but haven't seen nor heard anything.  ETA: He's still registered with Celtic so that's a no-deal as long as Lindsay is on loan at County.

Edited by bunglebonce

35 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Tansey hasn’t been even close to good for us anytime he has played - weak, clumsy, and ponderous mostly.

He is also struggling with injuries so I am genuinely surprised this loan has gone through because it doesn’t seem like the type of signing County need.

That said, the Draper and Tansey center mid partnership of 3 seasons ago worked well. If they can rekindle that, perhaps it will pay off. I just can’t see it though.

I also heard that this deal was initiated and pushed by the RC board rather than Coyle. Ditto the interest in Cifci. Allegedly. Make of that what you will.

The Draper signing was also pursued  by the RC board...