The General Ross County Chat Thread

Got to remember that McIntyre had Boyce playing as a midfielder for half of the last season as well, a decision which should have been enough for him to be sacked at the end of the season.   

However, it has to be the appointment of Coyle, and then the reckless signings he made which never addressed our weakness which will be remembered as the reason why we are relegated.

Michael Gardyne has been unbelievably poor this season. I have a feeling that he's only played lately due to friendship with Ketts.

I was going to head to Perth on Saturday but I can't bring myself to self inflict such pain!!

Two or three of us were discussing on Friday (pre-match, I think) that relegation would likely be no bad thing in the long-term. There's just so much deadwood needing shifted. Stay up and there's a big chance that we'll get another summer of short-term thinking and bad recruitment. Go down, take the hit, but actually get some 'strategy' instead of pissing money up the wall on short-deal huddies.

Getting relegated from the First Division was shit but turned out to be a good thing. It pretty much laid the groundwork for the Scottish Cup final and promotion to the SPL. I'm not saying that relegation this time will reap the same results but I'm not overly fussed if it happens. 

3 hours ago, RiG said:

We went down with 34 points last season and we were complete and  utter garbage.

Ross County currently have 28 points. That tells you how rotten they've been.

Your team from last season would absolutely pump this County side.

Two or three of us were discussing on Friday (pre-match, I think) that relegation would likely be no bad thing in the long-term. There's just so much deadwood needing shifted. Stay up and there's a big chance that we'll get another summer of short-term thinking and bad recruitment. Go down, take the hit, but actually get some 'strategy' instead of pissing money up the wall on short-deal huddies.

Getting relegated from the First Division was shit but turned out to be a good thing. It pretty much laid the groundwork for the Scottish Cup final and promotion to the SPL. I'm not saying that relegation this time will reap the same results but I'm not overly fussed if it happens.

I'd honestly agree. Virtually the entire squad could get hooked and could have no complaints. I'd possibly only keep hold of (if possible) Fox, Naismith, Fontaine, Fraser, Schalk, DKD and Mckay (who will get goals in the second tier). 

I'm also pretty convinced Vigurs will be in a County shirt again next season.

Edited by Comrie

4 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Personally I don’t see how going down ‘might be a good thing’ why can’t we implement a new long term strategy while in the top flight? Transfer windows etc don’t get longer the league below

It’s a coping mechanism as far as I can see. Ask Dundee United fans if they’d rather stayed up or if they preferred getting the chance to go down and regroup. 

I  fervently hope that we stay up. I won’t go so far as to say that if we go down we’ll stay down but I can’t see it being easy to bounce back and every season out of the top league will make it far harder financially to get back up.  New long term strategies cost money and we need to be in the top league to maximise income.

4 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Personally I don’t see how going down ‘might be a good thing’ why can’t we implement a new long term strategy while in the top flight? Transfer windows etc don’t get longer the league below

Some of our fans were saying this last season and look how it's turned out! For some it's just a different place to get pissed on a Saturday. The only good things about the lower leagues (as far as I can tell) is almost all the games are Saturday 3pm kick offs, games during international periods and some different grounds to go to.

I think it's a little different for us. We've been throwing good money after bad just at trying to keep ourselves in the top-flight. To restructure and rebuild at a sustainable level for us will be much simpler and more forgiving. If we were to try to do it next season in the top flight we'd likely just end up in the mire again and panic stations would ensure the proper restructuring would be abandoned yet again in favour of trying to prolong the inevitable.

It's a point I raised a few times last year, but I still think our biggest mistake as a club over the last few years (possibly even more-so than appointing Coyle) was failing to replace George Adams. Yes, the goings on behind the scenes made it near impossible for George to stay, but it didn't mean that the position wasn't required to be filled by someone afterwards. Could Fergie be that man, with Ketts becoming manager? We can afford to give that a bit of a chance in the Championship, whereas as the first sign of trouble up here there'd be people calling for their heads to roll.

16 hours ago, RiG said:

County have (allegedly) offered a contract to Vigurs.

Yes please.

17 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I see Paul Paton is on the way back up the road. Pals with Kettlewell from their Queens Park days, I can certainly see him ending up in Dingwall. Imagine County would take him in either division too.

No thank you.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:09, Forfinn said:

Sacking McIntyre was the right thing to do.  Replacing him with Coyle was not.

I'm not sure replacing Coyle with Kettlewell/Ferguson was the right move, either.

On 5/9/2018 at 13:08, yoda said:

Absolutely.  Far worse things have happened to County than this season.  Clear out the deadwood, cut the over-spending, return to our natural level as a mid-table Championship side with the odd foray into the top flight.  Look back on the last ten years as an enjoyable fluke.  And for crying out loud, let's never talk of David N'Gog ever again.

I just hope our fans are ready for all of our "best" players to leave.  The likes of Dyke and Tumilty are more than adequate Championship players, and with Ashmore and McIver I'm quite optimistic for a younger, fresher, more dynamic side.    Of course, we could keep the band together and absolutely destroy the Championship - I just wonder if Uncle Roy/the players will have the patience for that.

It'll be great to get away from the Premiership shite as well.  Would happily never play Rangers or Celtic, Hearts or Hibs ever again.

4 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

It’s a coping mechanism as far as I can see.

I think it's a coping mechanism to some extent.  I'll be pretty gutted if/when we go down, but there's part of me that's looking forward to the change of scene.

I don't think anyone expected us to stay in the top flight forever.  This day was always going to come at some point.  Ross County have been in the top flight for six seasons - an achievement none of us would have thought possible 20 years ago.  It's incredible, and we've had some great times, but there hasn't been any enjoyment in watching Ross County since we peaked winning the League Cup in 2016.  With natural order restored ((c) Willie Miller) in the top flight, there's less chance of finishing top six or winning a cup, so realistically we'll be involved in a relegation fight every year should we stay up.

If we go down, barring complete implosion, we should be at least challenging for the play-offs every season.  We might not come straight back up, but winning reasonably regularly, albeit at a lower level would surely be more enjoyable than being gubbed every week.

There's always going to be concern over finances, but with a bit of assistance from Roy and parachute payments, we should be able to be pretty much self-sustaining at Championship level.

Then there's the away days.  To be honest, I'm a bit bored of visiting the same places every season.  A few new and different venues with a bit more character would be welcome.  I'd take a trip to Dumfries over Celtic Park or Ibrox any day.

tl;dr verson: I'll be initially gutted if we get relegated, but I'll get over it fairly quickly.

Hearing rumours that Midge has been offered a contract with Dundee.

While he's been a fantastic servant for the club, he's been a long way from his best this season. The right time for ways to part again?