The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Dom Samuel, Jordy Hiwula, and Alex Samuel all look a long way short of standard to me, with D. Samuel occasionally showing a bit of quality. 

From his brief cameo on Saturday Alex Samuel looks very handy and well suited to the Scottish game. 

26 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

From his brief cameo on Saturday Alex Samuel looks very handy and well suited to the Scottish game. 

Definitely deserves more chances after his cameo the other day, what a pain in the arse he was in a good way! I’d have him ahead of D. Samuel in the pecking order who’s days here are surely numbered.

Edit: Seem to be looking to get Conor Hazard on loan from Celtic according to the Daily Record.

Edited by Staggie_93

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

that’s probably because the number of Malky’s signings is unreal. 

Its felt like, since he joined, about 80% of your signings are loanees.

He's experienced etc., so he'll know better than me, but you feel like thats bound to catch up on you at some point. Impossible at this level to be signing 3/4 loan players who'll contribute heavily every single season IMO.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's experienced etc., so he'll know better than me, but you feel like thats bound to catch up on you at some point. Impossible at this level to be signing 3/4 loan players who'll contribute heavily every single season IMO.

Exactly 50% of his signings have been loanees... 14/28

10/14 of those loanees have been signed at the age of 21 or under. -- “You can't win anything with kids.”

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We tried to go a different route at the beginning of the season by bringing in players on 2-3 year deals to bring a bit more stability and I think we only initially had three on loan. But the players we’ve signed up on longer deals have mostly turned out to be duds and now here we are back into the loan market to dig us out a hole again.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of our current squad, we have 5 players on loan. This is compared to 9 this time last season. I’d caveat that by saying many of our signings at the start of last season were literally to plug gaps. 

You are right though - for every Harry Clarke and Joseph Hungbo, you get an Alex Robertson and a Jack Burroughs. 

Edited by Matty-RCFC

4 hours ago, stag317 said:

Harry Souttar signing for Leicester for £15 million, always thought he'd go on to big things. Cracking loan signing for us a few years back.

He did very littl, did he not?.  Own goal on his debut, as I recall, and bounced in and out of the starting XI. 

Souttar was a privilege to watch, despite some nightmare performances beside him in defence (eg Marcus Fraser in the worst form of his career, Van der Weg's horror performances vs Motherwell and Andrew Davies and Liam Fontaine were done). In addition there was no structure in the midfield until Fergie & Kettlewell took charge. Unfortunately he didn't have the experience to completely carry the defence (like Lee Wilkie briefly in the Scott Leitch season), but his potential was obvious.

Edited by bunglebonce

33 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Souttar was a privilege to watch, despite some nightmare performances beside him in defence (eg Marcus Fraser in the worst form of his career, Van der Weg's horror performances vs Motherwell and Andrew Davies and Liam Fontaine were done). In addition there was no structure in the midfield until Fergie & Kettlewell took charge. Unfortunately he didn't have the experience to completely carry the defence (like Lee Wilkie briefly in the Scott Leitch season), but his potential was obvious.

Pretty much this.

Souttar was raw, but was a huge talent- he was lumbered with a defence shorn of our one decent centre half (Davies) who was falling to bits.

EDIT: I'd forgotten Fontaine joined that season, thought he'd come in the next. He wasn't *quite* totally done then, but almost was.

Edited by Comrie

21 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’d be absolutely baffled if Simon Murray joins Ross County. He’s only ever really had 2 prolific goalscoring spells - Arbroath about 8 years ago and Queen’s this season. There is also the possibility that we pass them in the leagues this season - I don’t think it’ll happen but you just never know. 

In a recent league game with us he was outstanding, some of the passes and moves were so slick in the box and were the best I've seen in years.

But his game was made by the service and movement he had with Savoury positioned behind him and Thomas on the wing, both good standard players and my question would be if he would be the same without them.

Edited by SandyCromarty

13 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Olaigbe away, now on loan to Harrogate Town.

I think there's something there, but he never really showed it for us. Disappeared in too many games.