The General Ross County Chat Thread

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Now if anyone can tell me what Fergie actually does, that’d be great. 

Wander around in match day in a snazzy suit looking important and shaking hands with hospitality guests.

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Can't believe the easy time of it Adams is getting. 

As an unlikeable a manager that i can remember in the SPFL. 

He's never going to get eviscerated by County fans because he was manager for our best teams. There's too many good memories to treat him like Malky, even as it becomes increasingly clear he's not up to the job.

Especially as he's always come across a bit weird and angry, a bit of a wallopper, so you were always going to have some folk defend his weird press statements as mindgames and 4D chess etc, because he was no different a decade ago. But he had vaguely more sense last time he was here; seemed to know the difference between creating an us and them attitude in the dressing room & just shitting all over everyone including his own players.

Whatever he's doing isn't working, and considering the turnover during the window he can't just blame the players he inherited.

1 hour ago, forkboy said:

He's never going to get eviscerated by County fans because he was manager for our best teams. There's too many good memories to treat him like Malky, even as it becomes increasingly clear he's not up to the job.

Especially as he's always come across a bit weird and angry, a bit of a wallopper, so you were always going to have some folk defend his weird press statements as mindgames and 4D chess etc, because he was no different a decade ago. But he had vaguely more sense last time he was here; seemed to know the difference between creating an us and them attitude in the dressing room & just shitting all over everyone including his own players.

Whatever he's doing isn't working, and considering the turnover during the window he can't just blame the players he inherited.

His January signings remind of that p***k McIntyre when came into dens , and replaced average to bad players with absolute horse shit  from the lower english  leagues on loan , only one way we were going then , Ross co need to hope livi don’t pick up as you might win the play offs again , 

5 minutes ago, Staggie1984 said:

Very disappointed to come on and see that there is no "The next Ross County Manager" thread. We live in hope.

I believe this will come. His tenure has been nothing less than bizarre, creating this narrative that County have big problems and a poor squad when in reality, they probably have a squad of comparable quality to at least 3 or 4 other Premiership sides.

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I believe this will come. His tenure has been nothing less than bizarre, creating this narrative that County have big problems and a poor squad when in reality, they probably have a squad of comparable quality to at least 3 or 4 other Premiership sides.

He literally guided this team to a 3-0 win against yesterday’s opponents less than 2 months ago, ffs. We also should’ve beaten Hearts at Tynecastle and have generally been quite unlucky to lose the majority of the games we have. I’m not suggesting we’re better than the teams we’ve lost to, but we’ve competed well in games and lost by the odd goal. It’s not a bad group of players. He’s also not a bad manager. The two just haven’t mixed together at all. When that happens, there is no coming back I’m afraid. 

On 21/11/2023 at 11:30, Forfinn said:

Derek Adams is probably the only realistic appointment that could have united the fans as much as Malky Mackay divided them. I'm certainly feeling more positive than I expected after the malaise of the last 2 1/2 years.

It's the most nostalgic appointment possible, certainly for me. Adams was in his first spell as a player at the club when I started going to games, and his achievements as manager tell their own story.

But I think it also stacks up in a footballing sense. Things had run their course when he left in 2014. He's had eight years managing in England, with reasonable success. When he's failed, there's usually been mitigating circumstances.

He can only be a better manager for that experience. He says he's mellowed, which was probably needed, although I'm sure he's still more than willing to wind up the right people. He's back in an environment he knows well, surrounded by people he knows just as well. He should reap the benefits of the behind the scenes work done over the last couple of years, particularly a proper recruitment structure (thanks Malky).

It might all go spectacularly wrong, but I'm confident we're better off with this option than some ex-Old Firm media darling with no experience at this level.

I've just been looking back on the post I made when Adams was appointed. He's obviously not mellowed, he's certainly wound up all the right people, but unfortunately he's also wound up all the wrong people, and it certainly is going spectacularly wrong.

When he took over we were 11th and looking favourites for the play-offs. There's no denying we weren't good enough and things had to change. Adams opted to move fast and break things. In hindsight, maybe the right approach would have been to tinker lightly round the edges - but then maybe we'd still be in 11th anyway.

Should he leave? I don't know enough about what's going on behind the scenes. If relationships have been irreparably damaged then he needs to go. There's no coming back from that.

But if things are salvageable, then he probably needs to be given longer. He's brought in a bunch of players who will need time to settle in and in some cases (eg CBJ) will need to get match fit. It's not unreasonable to expect this team to at least become good enough to win a play-off, if not catch 10th.

A new manager would have to work with the same players, so sacking Adams (or him walking away) is not necessarily a panacea.

4 hours ago, Sonam said:

Nobody is wanting Malky back

A few vocal supporters in the last few weeks would disagree with you. Which is wild IMO. The fact Adams has managed to make Malky look like a victim is one of the worst things he's done and that's saying something 

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

I've just been looking back on the post I made when Adams was appointed. He's obviously not mellowed, he's certainly wound up all the right people, but unfortunately he's also wound up all the wrong people, and it certainly is going spectacularly wrong.

When he took over we were 11th and looking favourites for the play-offs. There's no denying we weren't good enough and things had to change. Adams opted to move fast and break things. In hindsight, maybe the right approach would have been to tinker lightly round the edges - but then maybe we'd still be in 11th anyway.

Should he leave? I don't know enough about what's going on behind the scenes. If relationships have been irreparably damaged then he needs to go. There's no coming back from that.

But if things are salvageable, then he probably needs to be given longer. He's brought in a bunch of players who will need time to settle in and in some cases (eg CBJ) will need to get match fit. It's not unreasonable to expect this team to at least become good enough to win a play-off, if not catch 10th.

A new manager would have to work with the same players, so sacking Adams (or him walking away) is not necessarily a panacea.

Looking back at the thread you quoted yourself from, at least one of us predicted it right

On 20/11/2023 at 14:53, Comrie said:

Cannot wait until I see the absolute randos Adams will bring in come January, of which about three of ten will be decent.

Although a 30% hit rate on the January signings might end up being overly optimistic. 

On 20/11/2023 at 12:07, forkboy said:

We'll never know, but I'd love to know how much compensation we're sending to Morecambe.

Really dunno how I feel about this. Some of my favourite memories of the football are Adams' teams, especially that almost-undefeated Championship winning team. At the same time though, hard to look past how it ended in total acrimony. And it's hard to forget that he's a bit of a walloper, this fantastic quote from when Bradford punted him is on his Wikipedia page.

"If [Bradford] are going to get a new manager in they’re not going to get as successful a manager as myself in the door. That’s obvious to everyone, because my record is up there with all the records in this league.”

And then they appoint Mark Hughes who gets Bradford into the playoffs in his only full season there. Not even necessarily a bad thing to have a confident manager, but sometimes he did seem to lose touch with reality a bit.

But you hope for the best.

And not to toot my own horn too loudly but I did worry about it all going sour & him not necessarily being in touch with reality all the time. Can't say I expected it to go this wrong this quickly though.

I don't disagree that his new signings will need time to get bedded in, but then because of his attitude to long contracts they won't get it! By the time they are settled they'll be off back to their home clubs. And we'll be in exactly the same situation in the offseason regardless of whether or not we have been relegated. This was perpetually a problem in Adams' second spell at the club once we were in the top flight, the most ineffective scattershot attitude to building a squad, huge turnover of players every 6 months. How much of that was on him & how much was on his da the Director of Football I can't say, but it lingers in my mind constantly about Derek. 

Not only does the huge turnover of players make it difficult to be a medium-term success on the pitch, it also makes it hard for fans to connect with the club.

We've been lucky at Thistle in that seven of starting eleven against you have played more games for Thistle than any other club (Muirhead will join those ranks in a few weeks, and if course there's the manager, too). It gives the club an identity for the fans to feel part of, and I'm sure decades from now when Thistle are mentioned. fans of other clubs will talk about how much they hated Brian Graham, or how Doolan was a good player for us. What will they say about County?

It must be hard to sell to prospective fans when the player wee Jimmy loved so much when he visited his school fucks off back to Leyton Orient or wherever a few weeks later.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not only does the huge turnover of players make it difficult to be a medium-term success on the pitch, it also makes it hard for fans to connect with the club.

We've been lucky at Thistle in that seven of starting eleven against you have played more games for Thistle than any other club (Muirhead will join those ranks in a few weeks, and if course there's the manager, too). It gives the club an identity for the fans to feel part of, and I'm sure decades from now when Thistle are mentioned. fans of other clubs will talk about how much they hated Brian Graham, or how Doolan was a good player for us. What will they say about County?

It must be hard to sell to prospective fans when the player wee Jimmy loved so much when he visited his school fucks off back to Leyton Orient or wherever a few weeks later.

We had a real chance to build something great with the League Cup winning squad, but that was torn apart in favour of a couple of decent pay days. Even those deals weren’t exactly financially beneficial to us on the surface, as none of the money raised went back into the team hence our struggles since then.

I am not saying that the likes of Jackson Irvine and Liam Boyce would have stayed had an offer been tabled of course, but to lose them and not replace them with quality replacements has been a huge part of our turmoil. We still haven’t truly replaced them both or even the likes of Schalk/Davies/Gardyne, just getting in dross rejects in the vague hope of unearthing a rough diamond.

Dont get me started on the youth academy as well, which seems to be a thing of myth as no players ever seem to make it to the first team regularly at all….

As a neutral it will be interesting to see how Livingston do in their cup match away to Partick this Sat. Likewise Caley's match against to an off form Hibs (though they won't make it to the promotion play offs). 

You see, my fear is that Livi pick up form at some stage. Their plastic pitch sure benefits them, they could catch us. I'd take a play off now.

Relegation is a real possibility, unless Adams can somehow make peace with the players and get them back on side. Really hope he does, last night was shocking but at least Motherwell played well and were on form. The same can't be said for St. Johnstone last weekend who were crap.