Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

As much as all the stuff Truss says will get her to be party leader and PM for now, it surely must be putting voters off left, right and centre. The narrative of this campaign is that Brexit Is Good despite all the evidence even on TV. Scotland Is Rubbish isn't going to win votes here. Magic Tax Cuts to solve the cost of living crisis? All these other "red meat" policies that the lunatics in the party want to hear will surely put off huge chunks of the electorate. 

we have to hope so, but I don't share your faith in that necessarily being the case, not in the polarised, current landscape.

By the time the Tory faithful have selected their next leader, and the U.K.’s next PM, he or she (almost definitely she) will have just over two years to make changes that will have a sufficiently positive impact to keep the Tories in power at the next GE.

The most competent PM having to deal with the cost of living crisis, inflation, the post-COVID impact, the NHS crisis, trade union unrest and the impact of Brexit would struggle really badly to deliver.  And we’re not going to have a competent PM, we’re going to have Liz Truss.

Her only hope of creating a sufficiently large time frame to achieve this is a change in the law postponing the next GE for a few years.  Maybe that’s what will happen; nothing constitutionally to stop it.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

By the time the Tory faithful have selected their next leader, and the U.K.’s next PM, he or she (almost definitely she) will have just over two years to make changes that will have a sufficiently positive impact to keep the Tories in power at the next GE.

The most competent PM having to deal with the cost of living crisis, inflation, the post-COVID impact, the NHS crisis, trade union unrest and the impact of Brexit would struggle really badly to deliver.  And we’re not going to have a competent PM, we’re going to have Liz Truss.

Her only hope of creating a sufficiently large time frame to achieve this is a change in the law postponing the next GE for a few years.  Maybe that’s what will happen; nothing constitutionally to stop it.

All of that is currently in place, and yet they're not miles adrift in the polls.

Again, I don't yet have faith that the Tories would certainly be bound to lose an election, even in these conditions.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Actually acheiving things that positively impact people's lives is quite low down the list of election winning criterea nowadays. 

So long as she loudly blames foreigners for everything she'll skoosh an election. 

It's pretty clear that the Tories feel that there is no danger of an independence vote going to happen never mind that even in the remote possibility (in theory minds) that if it fid there would be a yes vote.

Because of this, Truss is able to make such statements, as its better to piss off a few already unlikely Tory voting Scots and get English Tories onside that to possibly annoy Scottish Tories and enrage SNP voters.

What's interesting to note, is that quite a few English commentators have picked up on it. Normally would go under the radar a bit. 

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All of that is currently in place, and yet they're not miles adrift in the polls.

Again, I don't yet have faith that the Tories would certainly be bound to lose an election, even in these conditions.

13 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Actually acheiving things that positively impact people's lives is quite low down the list of election winning criterea nowadays. 

So long as she loudly blames foreigners for everything she'll skoosh an election. 

It’s all a matter of conjecture but I think the absolute best the Tories can hope for at the next GE is to be the largest party.  Even then I think they would be well short of a majority.  Equally they could get annihilated.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Those 9 Tory MSPs who are backing Truss will hopefully be in for a bit of gyp.

ConcreteNauticalGrackle-size_restricted.

Something amusing, but entirely predictable, about the way they waited until it was abundantly clear who was going to win the Tory c**t-off before pinning their colours to the mast.

See the careerist shysters doing exactly the same in London.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Something amusing, but entirely predictable, about the way they waited until it was abundantly clear who was going to win the Tory c**t-off before pinning their colours to the mast.

See the careerist shysters doing exactly the same in London.

See also Penny Mordaunt and Tom Tugenhadt

22 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Public sector pay cuts outside of London scrapped less than a day after it was blurted out 

I'm glad, but it shows just exactly what type of politician she is.  In fairness, she's not exactly been hiding it.

Johnson was rightly criticised for believing in nothing.  This demented person, however, has not only beliefs but convictions.  They are truly poisonous and dangerous.  

She will make every single division that exists, worse.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s all a matter of conjecture but I think the absolute best the Tories can hope for at the next GE is to be the largest party.  Even then I think they would be well short of a majority.  Equally they could get annihilated.

Yes but you thought voting for brexit was a good idea so any prediction you make needs to be viewed in light of that information and ignored. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm glad, but it shows just exactly what type of politician she is.  In fairness, she's not exactly been hiding it.

Johnson was rightly criticised for believing in nothing.  This demented person, however, has not only beliefs but convictions.  They are truly poisonous and dangerous.  

She will make every single division that exists, worse.

She's been floating this since 2018 apparently. Anytime you hear a tory say they have been misrepresented, you know that they've been quoted faithfully and in context and that the second they think they can get away with it, they'll bring whatever it is back. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

She’s going to be worse than Johnson. 

I think she is.

She won't display the personal indiscipline that unseated him either.  The hope has to be that she's sufficiently electorally unattractive.  The 'rules' regarding such matters seem to have shifted though, so Christ knows.

I think she's genuinely dangerous.

Cummings has her about right.