£1 million reward for briefcase lost in Edinburgh

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/20290742.british-plc-chairman-dickie-bingham-offered-1m-return-briefcase-lost-scots-tram/

Dickie Bingham, chairman of Edinburgh-based tech investment firm British plc says he "stupidly" lost the crocodile leather briefcase on an Edinburgh tram on Monday morning.

He said its value comes in a scientific paper that links together all physical aspects of the universe from the sub-atomic scale - which he says is one of the major unsolved problems in physics.

Though invisible to human eyes, sub-atomic particles have been called the building blocks of matter and may be the key to understanding the nature of our universe.

Mr Bingham said the papers were crucial for the Scottish economy as the spin off of what he called Nobel Prize potential research which would bring many jobs to Scotland and was "important to the economy".

I think we can all safely say that this is a load of pish.

The briefcase contains a number of items, including a set of five annual diaries for the years 1996 to 2000 and a letter to Mr Bingham from Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe which he intends to donate to the National Museum of Scotland.

Getting hotter.

What's in the briefcase lads?

In this scene, in the movie "Pulp Fiction", the character Jules (Sam L  Jackson) asks Vincent (John Travolta) "we happy?". To this Vincent responds  "yeah, we happy". This points to the fact

Edited by Detournement

I'm incredibly amused by the fact that a team of world class scientists have made a huge discovery that could change societies across the globe then printed off one copy, not bothered saving it and handed to the bold Dickie who then sticks it next to his letter from Peter Sutcliffe and the 25 year old diaries he is carrying around.

This is the most legit story i've ever heard. I was going to stick a photo of Dickie in to help us guess but there doesn't appear to be any online.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I'm incredibly amused by the fact that a team of world class scientists have made a huge discovery that could change societies across the globe then printed off one copy, not bothered saving it and handed to the bold Dickie who then sticks it next to his letter from Peter Sutcliffe and the 25 year old diaries he is carrying around.

This is the most legit story i've ever heard. I was going to stick a photo of Dickie in to help us guess but there doesn't appear to be any online.

If they are Public Sector scientists, then I can assure you that having worked with a screed of them for years, this is typical behaviour.

Everyone else's fault when it inevitably goes tits up of course, and no matter the fact the solution will require hours/days/weeks of work, it's 'not good enough' that it isn't sorted yesterday. p***ks.

An old co-worker of mine told a tale of when they worked in a different office many years ago there was some "gentlemen's reading material" * in the Gents. A senior manager was seen coming in one day with a large briefcase. The next day the reading material was nowhere to be seen

*scud mags

Crocodile leather briefcase? High value scientific papers? Sub-atomic particles? Nah, that's all just an obvious cover.

Ironic that it was on a tram that poor Dickie lost his briefcase as he was, in actual fact, on his way to Bute house to pitch a new traffic busting, economy boosting transport system for the city.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20220720-180252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.17cb48f4acfa02c86bd216761f5a941d.jpg

There's nothing on Google about Dickie Bingham outside of this story.  

The only thing about British PLC is this webpage, no details of who they are or previous clients etc - https://british.uk/

Companies House has four current officers listed for the company, all of whom seem to be related and none of whom are Dickie Bingham.

The company was formed in 1896 as British Life Office Ltd and stayed that way until 2009.  Sounds like a life insurance firm and a lot of the people involved earlier were actuaries etc.

British PLC seems like a name designed to be difficult to research or Google.  I'm not someone familiar with the venture capital world so maybe it's all done on word of mouth but seems very strange to have a vague website talking about the amazing highly skilled people you have working for you but not provide any examples or anything like that.  NOrmally people are keen to show their successes.

The whole thing reads like it might be a scam or a prank of some sort.

The secretary of this company is this guy, who insured a pane of glass for £25k

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/money/8640578/glass-simon-lance-burgess-investor-insured-millions/

He also sold insurance against being chosen at the next Virgin Mary.

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/analysis/simon-burgess/

To be fair, if you read that final article, he is very critical of PPI selling and was clearly proved right on that.

Edited by ICTChris