The Bairns Vs The Mo

29 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Every game we play will be the same until a couple of things happen. A. We actually bring in decent strikers and creative midfielders. B. See A and get rid of Nesbitt, McGuffie, Hetherington, Wilson, Ross, Morrison. 

I would get rid of Williamson before most of those he is rank rotten.

Theres a real lack of objectivity from our fans sometimes. I'm thinking about the guy in the KM7 loudly arguing that Montrose "deserved to win this game by absolute miles". Pure nonsense. It was a finely balanced, ebb and flow game. We did create chances. At least as many as they did. We also got in positions where frustratingly, a better final ball would have created a great chance. So it's not exactly fair to say we create nothing, it's more the killer touch at the end. We are a decent striker short of finding a way to the net today.

The way the game went, it's criminal that I, and anyone else who didn't bet on it, didn't make money off that today. We all knew what was coming, but I did hear "no better than last season" shouts too and that's just plainly nonsense. Montrose just absolutely bodied us last season.

First time seeing Donaldson, he is very good for this level IMO. As is McGinn and Yeats looks a fantastic prospect.

As it stands, there is going to be some serious frustration watching us this season, but I won't have anyone saying its not better than watching us last season, where it was heartbreaking to sit there and know the opposition would head hone with 3 points and not even need to wash their strips.

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

The majority of people on COYB rushed to the aid of Williamson last week saying gee the boy a chance etc etc … he’s guff , always has been and looks like bambi when the football is at his feet . Get him so far to f**k !

085B3DF3-6BC5-4814-AF20-99C6574FB686.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We are a decent striker short of finding a way to the net today.

A decent striker won't solve all, the passing, decision making and general play needs improvement from mid to attack. McGuffie improved us as an attacking sense and I don't why he was dropped, even last season he scored and created a few.

A real struggle to pick a MOM today tells you how it was

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

A decent striker won't solve all, the passing, decision making and general play needs improvement from mid to attack. McGuffie improved us as an attacking sense and I don't why he was dropped, even last season he scored and created a few.

A real struggle to pick a MOM today tells you how it was

Yeats would have got it for my vote. And it wouldn't have been a struggle to find someone worthy. I'd have probably gave it to him after considering Donaldson and McGinn too. 

A good striker solves most of our problems tbh. I dont think we had any real gilt edged chances today, but someone who can finish them off, who can also do a wee bit of hold up would take away loads of our issues because ultimately they are issues of falling down at the last hurdle. 

29 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Agreed him aswell. They aren't good enough and never will be. Hopefully McGlynn can somehow wheel and deal and empty some of them. They will be the players that ultimately will let him down. 

Montrose point of view.  Happy with the draw today and could have easily snatched the 3 points with a bit of luck. Having McAllister up front is huge for us. We haven't had a serious striker since we've been in League 1. He had some good touches and brought others into the game. His presence is a boost as others will know they've got to keep an eye on him. Impressed by the 2 loanees from Ross County. They look a handful.

Was a bit pessimistic about the season ahead but after today's performance,  I think we'll be fine.

1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

Montrose point of view.  Happy with the draw today and could have easily snatched the 3 points with a bit of luck. Having McAllister up front is huge for us. We haven't had a serious striker since we've been in League 1. He had some good touches and brought others into the game. His presence is a boost as others will know they've got to keep an eye on him. Impressed by the 2 loanees from Ross County. They look a handful.

Was a bit pessimistic about the season ahead but after today's performance,  I think we'll be fine.

I think you will be up challenging for the playoff spots again. 

Like you said, McAllister is a great signing and will play a part in a lot of goals for you this season. Very impressed with how you played and could feel hard done by you only left with 1 point

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeats would have got it for my vote. And it wouldn't have been a struggle to find someone worthy. I'd have probably gave it to him after considering Donaldson and McGinn too. 

A good striker solves most of our problems tbh. I dont think we had any real gilt edged chances today, but someone who can finish them off, who can also do a wee bit of hold up would take away loads of our issues because ultimately they are issues of falling down at the last hurdle. 

Yeats & McGinn didn't reach previous highs and McGinn didn't come to the game till the 2nd half for me. The majority of our play today was meh...

I'm struggling to understand the good striker solves all our problems and we had no gilt edged chances today, we need the play behind solved, a Mckay header and a McGuffie shot played through by McKay is our chances. A striker does not solve that if McKay is your best creative player in the final third.

so many players wasteful on the ball, funnily all last year's players....

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

Yeats & McGinn didn't reach previous highs and McGinn didn't come to the game till the 2nd half for me. The majority of our play today was meh...

I'm struggling to understand the good striker solves all our problems and we had no gilt edged chances today, we need the play behind solved, a Mckay header and a McGuffie shot played through by McKay is our chances. A striker does not solve that if McKay is your best creative player in the final third.

A new striker won’t solve much by itself when your attacking midfield options are Nesbitt, Mcguffie, Morrison and Ross.

Nesbitt contributed nothing for 90% of last season so it’s difficult to fathom why he’s now being relied on as our main creative outlet.

To me we are actually weaker in that department than last season as Telfer is a far better player than Nesbitt. I wouldn’t have been averse to bringing in someone more consistent there but why Telfer was punted to be replaced by Nesbitt in that position is baffling.

17 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Just want to share this with you all. 

Our family were shocked and saddened at the death of Falkirk diehard Euan Anderson. A lad who with his family lived 2 doors down from my wife's house in Polmont, my wife was pals with his big sister, it was a very close community within the street. 

Euan was a massive Falkirk fan, despite his old man being a rangers fan, Euan chose to support his local team and travelled with the Shuttle home and away. I honestly have not met a person more Falkirk daft than Euan, only the legend that was Stevie Black who left us in 2016 being the same as Euan. 

4 weeks ago Euan collapsed and died whilst playing 5s with his pals. Last week me and Euan would've been exchanging in banter prior to our teams meeting up in the League Cup, but his untimely death meant that did not happen. 

The Shuttle have organised for a 25th minute applause to celebrate the life of a Falkirk diehard. I hope that the whole stadium recognise one of their own. 

God bless you Euan. Hopefully the Bairns do the damage today in your honour. 

IMG-20220730-WA0033.jpg

The minutes applause was really uplifting

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

The best two chances we had, you didn't even mention. Alegria in the 2nd and Nesbitt in the 1st were probably our clearest openings. Oliver also worked a decent opening for himself coming in from the left and couldn't find a finish. Williamson combined with McGuffie I think, but got his feet in a muddle in the box. Someone got played thru to the byline later on and contrived to run the ball out of play. 

In a lot of those instances, a cool head in the box finds the right pass or the right finish. 

We had 14 shots, 5 on target. 

That's no "creating nothing". McGlynn said it. It's a lack of quality in that last moment. 

Ideally I'd like 3 in, but if I could pick just 1 that would make the biggest difference, it would be a striker. 

I thought before the game it would be a draw and the game looked like 0-0 from a long way out. 
Apart from the one chance late in the 2nd half Montrose didn’t trouble us much and PJ did not have a difficult save to make all game. The Montrose keeper had three decent saves with the one from Allegria the best. 
I was encouraged how easily we coped with McAllister and Johnston with Donaldson in the end dominating McAlistair. 
Our defence is very strong and Henderson is still to come in which will make it even stronger. 
Sort the front four positions and we will be decent IMO.  

17 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Could be my eyesight but I thought he made a good run to get on the end of our best chance created today where the keeper saved it ? Was that not him ?

He did and he also headed over as well. I don't think there's much quality there but he's physical and brings a different aspect up front.