Early season basement battle - St. Mirren vs Ross County

6 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:
For the record I fully agree.
You know, I know and everyone else with any sort of experience in following St. Mirren know that in a defeat scenario, that's not going to happen though.

And for the record I am not suggesting we'll be pushing for Europe. However unlike under Stubbs, I think our signings have been decent and it's far too early to call to call for the manager's head.

As do I. I said before a ball was kicked that unless something catastrophic happens, we should be giving him the first round of games and nothing I've seen has changed my opinion on that.

However, it really does have a feel of that 'potential' to blow up if Saturday goes awry. Regardless of if they are a good side (and make no mistake, they are a good side), there are many Saints fans who are already down the Robinson out sinkhole and many more who are currently circling the drain that won't accept anything less than a win.

I honestly am not there but I will admit that I am a bit concerned. I said after the Motherwell game, we need to make sure we're not a hard luck story in that we perform OK regularly and show up with nothing for it. We certainly did against Motherwell. The Aberdeen game at 11 vs 11 also suggested we were going to have something to offer on the break.

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Random question but is it OK to park on Clark Street? I usually use McFarlane Street but it was full and I ended up miles away.

I use Clark St for every game and have never had a problem getting parked and it’s easy to get onto Caledonia St for the motorway for a quick getaway. 

5 hours ago, Lola montez said:

I use Clark St for every game and have never had a problem getting parked and it’s easy to get onto Caledonia St for the motorway for a quick getaway. 

Cheers - I wasn't sure as there were signs up about no parking during events at the stadium. Ended up on Greenock Road, which was ideal for the motorway as you say.

Can't understand this line about play like we did against Motherwell and we'll be fine. Completely overlooks Ross County being a better team than Motherwell and that we're unlikely to play against a worse performance than Motherwell, even when we face Motherwell another couple times, yet we still couldn't get a result. 

This will be a much tougher game than Motherwell and a very difficult one to face for a 'must win'. Don't fancy us much for this - I like the look of Ross County again this season. They should be up challenging for top 6 again. 

On 09/08/2022 at 18:53, Stu said:

Cheers - I wasn't sure as there were signs up about no parking during events at the stadium. Ended up on Greenock Road, which was ideal for the motorway as you say.

I park on McKenzie Street and have done for years, never had any bother and it’s a baw hair away from the stadium!

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Clearly, the big one that everyone is gagging for. No posts for two days as the matchday thread slips onto P&B’s twighlight zone of Page 2 by Thursday. The thread will be off to a residential care home by midnight.

You think his is quiet? We didn't even have a match thread for last weekend's Celtic game until 5pm on the Friday!

On 08/08/2022 at 22:49, Torfason said:

Can’t comment on the Hearts game but they did not run Celtic close.
Celtic missed enough chances to win 3 games, not saying we will win but RC on another day would have been well beaten by Celtic by HT.

6EF4CAEB-1BEE-497E-9201-F7AF605363BF.png

They were very good against hearts and deserved something from the game, they also made it very difficult for Celtic from what I seen of the game too.

County have a good manager and his recruitment is excellent.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if we lose this by a couple of goals, hopefully I’m wrong.

Can't understand this line about play like we did against Motherwell and we'll be fine. Completely overlooks Ross County being a better team than Motherwell and that we're unlikely to play against a worse performance than Motherwell, even when we face Motherwell another couple times, yet we still couldn't get a result. 
This will be a much tougher game than Motherwell and a very difficult one to face for a 'must win'.

Yeah Motherwell have played four games this season, in the other three they’ve lost home and away to Sligo Rovers and at home to St Johnstone. A glorious defeat that was not.
There is a bit of a fork in the road feel about it this game, just like the last time we played. In Robinsons third league game in March we were above County as we went to Dingwall. We lost 1-0, they ended up top six and we ended up 9th.
I would normally be pretty confident going into this fixture. County haven’t won in Paisley since April 2015 when Gary Teale was our manager, we would be relegated shortly afterwards. In the seven games between the clubs before Robinsons arrival we had won five of them.
Despite this record I’m certainly not feeling optimistic going into this, I’d almost take a draw just to end this run of four defeats out of four in the games that have mattered so far this season. Yet another loss would be leave us not only bottom, but in real danger of being cut off at the foot of the table by the end of the month with the fixtures we have coming up.
On the other hand a win would ease the pressure and pass the crisis club baton from us over to County, and put them bottom with three defeats out of three.
I expect we will concede at least one cheap goal and struggle to score, in keeping with recent performances. I think County are a better team with a better manager and as such I think they will probably win the game.
1-2

Last time we played County at home, in the middle of our eleven game winless run, we had the lion's share of the play. However, as usual we squandered several chances to score.

County have some very decent attacking players.

Fingers crossed our forwards start taking any chances that come their way. Although, I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Brophy will break his duck at home.:rolleyes:

Our poor results in the league so far have been self inflicted. 

We have given away 2 penalties had and had a man sent off. For us to stand a chance of getting a result we need to be more disciplined on that side of things.

We really need a win to get things going for us. Must admit I've not seen much of County this season, in the head to heads last year we were the better team imo but they obviously finished higher in the league and had a couple of impressive match winners.

If we don't win its not a disaster, you can't be relegated after 3 games but fans are running out/have ran out of time for Robinson already. Didn't hear many complaints about him at the game v Motherwell , will fans be more vocal against him on Saturday? Especially if we go behind early on?

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Our poor results in the league so far have been self inflicted. 

We have given away 2 penalties had and had a man sent off. For us to stand a chance of getting a result we need to be more disciplined on that side of things.

We really need a win to get things going for us. Must admit I've not seen much of County this season, in the head to heads last year we were the better team imo but they obviously finished higher in the league and had a couple of impressive match winners.

If we don't win its not a disaster, you can't be relegated after 3 games but fans are running out/have ran out of time for Robinson already. Didn't hear many complaints about him at the game v Motherwell , will fans be more vocal against him on Saturday? Especially if we go behind early on?

Resilience - so far under Robinson we haven't come from behind to win or draw. It's what good teams do - they get a "result" in adverse circumstances, not always admittedly but we've not managed it once under Robinson's tenure.

If we are going to prosper in the division and stay out of trouble our home form needs to drastically improve. It's been honking under Robbo, just as it was honking under Goody. The numbers make for really terrible reading.

We've won just 1 of 7 league games at home under Robinson, which was that 2-0 defeat of Dundee back in May.

Adding that record to Goody's and you get a total of just 4 league wins in the last 22 attempts at home.

Awful.

Losing at home tomorrow doesn't bear thinking about. We absolutely have to win our home games against likes of County, St.Johnstone, Livingston, Motherwell and Kilmarnock and hope we get some scraps off the bigger boys, otherwise the game is a bogey.

Play as we did against Motherwell there's no reason why we can't win this. That still irks, no way we should have lost that game!