Edinburgh Festival/Fringe

kiddy

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

John Robins was good although my wife, who is a GP, said if it was one of her patients she'd have been pretty worried about his mental health. Not sure how much of it was his act and how much was real!

Saw a few shows while we were there - was worryingly close to the front for Catherine Bohart and Foil Arms and Hog but thankfully escaped unscathed. Also saw Flo and Joan, Nina Conti, the Delightful Sausage and Amy Gledhill.

My wife said exactly the same about JR, got a bit manic towards the end.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

John Robins was good although my wife, who is a GP, said if it was one of her patients she'd have been pretty worried about his mental health. Not sure how much of it was his act and how much was real!

Saw a few shows while we were there - was worryingly close to the front for Catherine Bohart and Foil Arms and Hog but thankfully escaped unscathed. Also saw Flo and Joan, Nina Conti, the Delightful Sausage and Amy Gledhill.

Seeing Foil Arms and Hog tomorrow night. Any good? 

Also got tickets to see Troy Hawke. 

11 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Seeing Foil Arms and Hog tomorrow night. Any good? 

Also got tickets to see Troy Hawke. 

Yeah it was great. Someone I was going with suggested seeing them, I had no idea who they were, but really enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah it was great. Someone I was going with suggested seeing them, I had no idea who they were, but really enjoyed it.

Aye they were great. Spoke to them after the show for a few mins. Nice lads. 

Troy Hawke was pretty good. Both shows are worth seeing. 

Saw Trainspotting Live. Pretty good, pretty interactive so to speak.

Characters were propistioning members of the audience, one while nude. Interestingly the show was promoted by The Pleasance. Clearly some cock in an audience members face is more acceptable than others.

28 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Any overt racism involved? 

No racism tbf, however they did choose to cover a scene where Begbie attacks his pregnant girlfriend so they one upped Jerry there.

I'm not a huge fan of Sadowitz but his spiel is he's playing a character. I guess the main difference with Trainspotting is there's a book and film to fall back on, and prove everyone is in character. 

Judt thought it was mildly interesting that the Pleasance continue to promote something with actions very similar to the Sadowiz show.

Anyway the most shocking thing was the backless bleacher style seats. No good for your back.

Top 10 jokes of the Fringe, everyone of them about as funny as piles.

1. I tried to steal spaghetti from the shop, but the female guard saw me and I couldn’t get pasta – Masai Graham (52%)

2. Did you know, if you get pregnant in the Amazon, it’s next day delivery? – Mark Simmons (37%)

3. My attempts to combine nitrous oxide and Oxo cubes made me a laughing stock – Olaf Falafel (36%)

4. By my age, my parents had a house and a family, and to be fair to me, so do I, but it is the same house and the same family – Hannah Fairweather (35%)

5. I hate funerals. I’m not a mourning person – Will Mars (34%)

6. I spent the whole morning building a time machine, so that’s four hours of my life that I’m definitely getting back – Olaf Falafel (33%)

7. I sent a food parcel to my first wife. FedEx – Richard Pulsford (29%)

8. I used to live hand to mouth. Do you know what changed my life? Cutlery – Tim Vine (28%)

9. Don’t knock threesomes. Having a threesome is like hiring an intern to do all the jobs you hate – Sophie Duker (27%)

10. I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days – Will Duggan (25%)

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

1. I tried to steal spaghetti from the shop, but the female guard saw me and I couldn’t get pasta – Masai Graham (52%)

2. Did you know, if you get pregnant in the Amazon, it’s next day delivery? – Mark Simmons (37%)

3. My attempts to combine nitrous oxide and Oxo cubes made me a laughing stock – Olaf Falafel (36%)

4. By my age, my parents had a house and a family, and to be fair to me, so do I, but it is the same house and the same family – Hannah Fairweather (35%)

6. I spent the whole morning building a time machine, so that’s four hours of my life that I’m definitely getting back – Olaf Falafel (33%)

8. I used to live hand to mouth. Do you know what changed my life? Cutlery – Tim Vine (28%)

9. Don’t knock threesomes. Having a threesome is like hiring an intern to do all the jobs you hate – Sophie Duker (27%)

I’d say number 5 is borderline acceptable as a very lame dad joke.  The rest are below any sort of standard. I’d be embarrassed to say those to the kids never mind to an audience paying to hear comedic talent. I’d rather see a bad tempered magician being all racist and getting his stump out.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

None of these even come close to the funniest jokes or stories I have heard this year.

Like most of these "lists" they are probably compiled by someone with a clipboard, a list of "no-no's" and nae sense of humour.

If I am sober enough to remember, I will relate one from Frankie Boyle after I hasve been on  Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

None of these even come close to the funniest jokes or stories I have heard this year.

Like most of these "lists" they are probably compiled by someone with a clipboard, a list of "no-no's" and nae sense of humour.

If I am sober enough to remember, I will relate one from Frankie Boyle after I hasve been on  Wednesday.

It was a survey done by the Dave TV channel.

2 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

No racism tbf, however they did choose to cover a scene where Begbie attacks his pregnant girlfriend so they one upped Jerry there.

I'm not a huge fan of Sadowitz but his spiel is he's playing a character. I guess the main difference with Trainspotting is there's a book and film to fall back on, and prove everyone is in character. 

Judt thought it was mildly interesting that the Pleasance continue to promote something with actions very similar to the Sadowiz show.

Anyway the most shocking thing was the backless bleacher style seats. No good for your back.

Trainspotting or Skagboys? Can't mind begbie battering his wife in Trainspotting, not read it for a few years right enough 

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Number one only works if said in an English accent. 

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

3, 5, 6 and 9 passable - the others piss poor