Things You Learned Today

I liked the stand up comedy piece from whoever it was said that his trying-to-be-posh mum said "two tickets for la confee-denshee-al" when asking for tickets to see L.A. Confidential.

17 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I've been reading and pronouncing(in my head) the word vitiligo as vi-tig-li-oh for the past 30+ years. I've no idea how I've never noticed that that's quite clearly not how's its spelled. Today I think was the first time I've heard someone say the word, and that's how I realised.

This has happened to me before; learning words and formulating an incorrect pronunciation in your head, only to go years without ever hearing the word spoke aloud. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I just thick?

I had the interesting experience of leaving the British school system at an age just before phonics and sounding out words was actually taught, being home schooled (ineffectively, in certain areas) for almost a year due to delays in emigration, and then entering the U.S. school system after most of the phonics and such had been taught. Left me with some really bizarre takes on words until I absorbed that data over time. Most embarrassing was “chiropractor”.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I had the interesting experience of leaving the British school system at an age just before phonics and sounding out words was actually taught, being home schooled (ineffectively, in certain areas) for almost a year due to delays in emigration, and then entering the U.S. school system after most of the phonics and such had been taught. Left me with some really bizarre takes on words until I absorbed that data over time. Most embarrassing was “chiropractor”.

Did you say 'chimichanga' ?

When I got into football I had no clue how to pronounce the surname of the Hearts winger Colquhoun

I later found out that the "qu" is like "wh". You find it a lot in early modern Scots. 

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

When I got into football I had no clue how to pronounce the surname of the Hearts winger Colquhoun

I later found out that the "qu" is like "wh". You find it a lot in early modern Scots. 

Try getting a Yank to pronounce 'Urquhart'.

'Urr-kyoo-heart'........🤔

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

I'm still not sure how I should be pronouncing Menzies and Lockhead.

Spent my whole life just trying to avoid the situation

"Menzies" is MING (as in the Emperor) IZ 

the Z stands for a letter in Scots which is no longer used 

My old man used to talk about buying a paper from Mingiz in Waverley Station which confused me as the shop was John Menzies. 

On this etymology you could say Celtic fans are menzin'

The English have Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondeley aka Fanshaw and Chumley

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"Menzies" is MING (as in the Emperor) IZ 

the Z stands for a letter in Scots which is no longer used 

My old man used to talk about buying a paper from Mingiz in Waverley Station which confused me as the shop was John Menzies.

The Menzies seem to change a lot, I've settled on Ming if it's a 1st name and Z if its a surname but I know it's a grey area!

I was told years ago Lockhead was always pronounced Lochheid, but still not convinced on that.

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The English have Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondeley aka Fanshaw and Chumley

Avoch is always a fun one for anyone new to the highlands

On 11/06/2024 at 00:34, BFTD said:

This has happened to me more times that I'm comfortable admitting.

Can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know there's been a bunch of times I've finally heard a word spoken aloud that I've read for decades and had a brief moment of terror, trying to think if I've ever used it in conversation and outed myself as a total numpty (even more than usual).

Something I've noticed is how many YouTubers have no such fears - plenty of them have the most bizarre pronunciations for even the simplest and most common of words.

Segue 

52 minutes ago, Spyro said:

The Menzies seem to change a lot, I've settled on Ming if it's a 1st name and Z if its a surname but I know it's a grey area!

I was told years ago Lockhead was always pronounced Lochheid, but still not convinced on that.

Avoch is always a fun one for anyone new to the highlands

Mr. Spyro, if you go on to BBC iPlayer, you can watch 'Clay, Smeddum & Greenden', a 1970's dramatisation of 3 short stories by Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

In the second piece, Eileen McCallum is glorious as family matriarch Meg Menzies, pronounced 'Mingiss'. Well worth a watch.

14 minutes ago, Aaron_stampler said:

that tory guy whose name is spelt Duguid ( the one Douglas Ross stabbed in the back) 

I thought it was pronounced "Do Good" but apparently it "Dyoo Gid"

I'd say it more like 'dyoo-kit'.

48 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Right, Gordon Dalziel, explain the pronunciation on that one

Gordon Dee-ehl? Wtf?

The old z looking letter with a tail made a different sound. It's been explained on here before, much better tbf.