Rest in Peace Scottish football

Fans make out like this is a new issue. Its common throughout almost every league in Europe now which is dominated by one, two or three clubs - unless a crazy & wealthy sugardaddy comes in, but even that is limited due to the restrictions and spending caps put in place at the behest of the monopolies. Its clear to anyone with a few brain cells that ever since the introduction of the Champions League and its expansion, its killed off competitive football in every country in Europe.

The same folks saying RIP Scottish Football because of a duopoly are probably the same people who watch the Spanish, German or #Barclays not seeing the irony

56 minutes ago, Aufc said:

People will argue that it will become more competitive which it may. However, what will probably happen is that there will be a new monopoly. The likes of aberdeen and hearts have much larger supports than the majority of other teams so they will just start to win most things. 

That's not a monopoly for a start :)

But more importantly, the financial disparity between Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen (and in fact pretty much everyone else in the Premiership) is hugely smaller (insignificant in some cases) than that between the OF and the rest.

Which is not to say that I think last night's Rangers victory makes a huge difference to the state of Scottish football. That was already a busted flush and has been for decades.

28 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Fans make out like this is a new issue. Its common throughout almost every league in Europe now which is dominated by one, two or three clubs - unless a crazy & wealthy sugardaddy comes in, but even that is limited due to the restrictions and spending caps put in place at the behest of the monopolies. Its clear to anyone with a few brain cells that ever since the introduction of the Champions League and its expansion, its killed off competitive football in every country in Europe.

The same folks saying RIP Scottish Football because of a duopoly are probably the same people who watch the Spanish, German or #Barclays not seeing the irony

Is it fair to include #Barclays?

6 different winners in 20yrs, the teams battling out for the title vary every few years, we've seen a Leicester title win and you've monster clubs like Newcastle and Spurs who if they get it right can definitely compete as well.

It is the most marketable league in the world and out of the top 5 leagues it is definitely the most competitive which is probably why it is the most popular. 

27 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Name the winners of the top division in the three leagues you name in your last paragraph, over the same period of thirty six years in which only two teams here have won ours.

Name the teams in those divisions who have a chance, a chance is all I’m asking for, of winning their top division. Then, name the teams in ours who have a shot, a genuine chance.

Then, in all three leagues you name, look beyond their big boys, and you’ll see a lot of teams with 40,000 to 60,000 crowds. Now look beyond our big two ugly boys.

Finally, even look past the three leagues you mention, and look at somewhere like the Netherlands. Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord. Portugal? Benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisbon…. three clubs we’ve all heard of. Three clubs who can take each other on. Not two huge ugly fcukers with the added issue of a bitter fan rivalry based on religious divide, intolerance of each other, bigotry, and hatred.

We’re fcuked. Absolutely, truly fcuked.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Finally, even look past the three leagues you mention, and look at somewhere like the Netherlands. Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord. Portugal? Benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisbon…. three clubs we’ve all heard of. Three clubs who can take each other on. Not two huge ugly fcukers with the added issue of a bitter fan rivalry based on religious divide, intolerance of each other, bigotry, and hatred.

So you're problem is its a duopoly rather than 3 clubs because that increases competition dramatically. #minter

42 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

There is no irony...if you think the EPL , Bundesliga, La Liga are in the same state of utter tedium and stasis as the Scottish top flight then I beg to differ. And in any case that oft repeated slice of whataboutery does not make the state of our game ok. Yes it's not a new issue but what I think is new, refreshingly new, is that a growing number of people in Scotland are saying enough. We're not going to give Celtic/Rangers credit for steamrolling so called diddies. We're going to show the Old Firms domestic 'acheivements' up to be the vacuous nothingness they really are whatever Sportsound, Superscoreboard or the Daily Record tells us. 

Edited by kennie makevin
Typo

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Name the winners of the top division in the three leagues you name in your last paragraph, over the same period of thirty six years in which only two teams here have won ours.

Name the teams in those divisions who have a chance, a chance is all I’m asking for, of winning their top division. Then, name the teams in ours who have a shot, a genuine chance.

Then, in all three leagues you name, look beyond their big boys, and you’ll see a lot of teams with 40,000 to 60,000 crowds. Now look beyond our big two ugly boys.

We’re fcuked. Absolutely, truly fcuked.

Yeah that extra 1 club competing makes a difference in leagues where they are almost double the size of ours.

You really make a great point 😐

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

There is no irony...if you think the EPL , Bundesliga, La Liga are in the same state of utter tedium and stasis as the Scottish top flight then I beg to differ. And in any case that oft repeated slice of whataboutery does not my make the state of our game ok. Yes it's not a new issue but what I think is new, refreshingly new, is that a growing number of people in Scotland are saying enough. We're not going to give Celtic/Rangers credit for steamrolling so called diddies. We're going to show the Old Firms domestic 'acheivements' up to be the vacuous nothingness they really are whatever Sportsound, Superscoreboard or the Daily Record tells us. 

Tell me Kennie who is getting close to topping Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga? 

Just now, kennie makevin said:

what I think is new, refreshingly new, is that a growing number of people in Scotland are saying enough. 

Whats new, its been said for decades? Just now people say it on the internet!!!

What will change. Nothing because all those who complain will still & pay to watch their team play the OF and subscribe to the very TV deals which enhance their finances whether to watch domestic or European competition. Maybe there is a lack of realisation that paying for Sky or BT even if you dont watch any OF gaes still gives them the finances regardless!!!

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

The TV revenue isn’t what makes the Champions League lucrative for clubs like us, putting that into perspective the 3 Portuguese clubs last season took £600k each from their split. The lions share of the cash goes to the big league clubs and the split also isn’t equal it’s reported to be  55-45 in our favour 

We also get more of the co-efficient cash than Rangers to the tune of around 7 million so we will still walk out of the Champions League with around £33 million to around Rangers £25 million (estimated figures of course) It then comes down to results, who qualifies or parachutes into the Europa

So yeah Rangers being in the CL does nothing to really hinder our earnings. 

So Rangers are not going to get a big percentage of the TV cash that would have been going solely to Celtic, had they been the only Scottish representative? This is news to me to be honest, can anyone else confirm this?

In HMFC's case, we would have had to have shared the Europa League TV money with Rangers had they dropped down and we beat Zurich. In an ironic twist though, I believe HMFC would have scooped a higher percentage of it because we would be getting there through the cup slot... despite Rangers beating us in the cup final. 🙃

10 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

So you're problem is its a duopoly rather than 3 clubs because that increases competition dramatically. #minter

Yeah, it’s a problem that we have a duopoly rather than a big three. If Aberdeen had a 50,000 fanbase, fan clubs around the colonies, could appear in the Champions League group stages, could sign guys like Jota and Virgil Van Djyk, and sell them to the EPL for millions, then aye, it would be better. Fcuking Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli could see it would be better. Can you show me where I said three genuine competitors increases competition dramatically? I said it makes things better than here. Where’s our Atletico Madrid? I can show you our Real Madrid and Barcelona. Clue - they’re in the West and East of Glasgow. For fcuk sake, those two have their own dressing rooms in the National stadium of our country. The actual fcuk sake of that. If one of them plays a diddy in a cup final, no matter what diddy, the ugly gets their own, traditional dressing room.

Oh, and take your childish ‘minter’ pish and shove it.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

The TV revenue isn’t what makes the Champions League lucrative for clubs like us, putting that into perspective the 3 Portuguese clubs last season took £600k each from their split. The lions share of the cash goes to the big league clubs and the split also isn’t equal it’s reported to be  55-45 in our favour 

We also get more of the co-efficient cash than Rangers to the tune of around 7 million so we will still walk out of the Champions League with around £33 million to around Rangers £25 million (estimated figures of course) It then comes down to results, who qualifies or parachutes into the Europa

So yeah Rangers being in the CL does nothing to really hinder our earnings. 

That is very selective, Portugal has a much smaller TV pot to split, the UK has the biggest. In 2018 the UK TV pool was 154m of which 10% went to Scotland so around 15.4m. That was for Celtic alone, is it still a 10% share to Scotland now there are 2 teams? If it is then Rangers qualifying did just cost you around 7m in TV split or is this wrong?

If the 3 Portuguese clubs got 600k each then there TV pot must only be around 2m. 

Do you agree with the coefficient split? You may be happy because you trump Rangers this season but are you happy with it in general? Are you happy clubs like Benfica and Ajax will earn around 3x what you get from it? If the coefficient was calculated over 5yrs and not 10 then the OF would nearly swap the amounts received. The timing benefits you today but if you both qualify again in 4yrs time it is very likely Rangers will get more.

I'm sure I read that had Leicester pipped Chelsea to the CL a few yrs ago they would have received around 3-4m to Chelsea's 30. It is another way to keep the lesser clubs from getting close to the 'superleague clubs'.

What's going to be interesting (concerning?) in the next few years is the impact of potentially a few years of group stage fitba being on offer to at least one non-OF team.

The Old Firm are away over the horizon, but the money from Europa League/Conference group stage fitba is huge in the context of the gap between Hearts and St Mirren, for example. My thinking is that over the next few years we'll see the non-OF 'City clubs' gradually move a bit further away from the pack as over a few years that kind of revenue will make the current bridgeable gap much bigger.

The result of this being three leagues in our top flight rather than our normal two.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I can show you our Real Madrid and Barcelona. Clue - they’re in the West and East of Glasgow. For fcuk sake, those two have their own dressing rooms in the National stadium of our country. The actual fcuk sake of that. If one of them plays a diddy in a cup final, no matter what diddy, the ugly gets their own, traditional dressing room.

Aye, f**k Thistle.