How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

18 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

If I'm paying the thick end of thirty quid a pop to watch this shite, then I want there to be something riding on the game.

I honestly think an 18-team league would gradually lead to a drop in crowds.

It's a nailed on certainty. If you have 18 in the top division, you leave a virtual desert below that and the same arguments as now being recycled. The relegated club's will be up in arms about being put in a part time division and they are no longer viable.

That's before we start on meaningless games.

We are where we are and comparative crowd figures are good but we have the impression the game is poor, maybe it is, but I haven't seen a single idea that would increase crowds across the board.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

10 hours ago, Raidernation said:

The problem is, as far as I see it, is that the European “Super League(s)” will end up like American franchised sport wher no “Major League” can ever get “relegated” as that might “dilute the brand”

I would quite happily see that lot just disappear to their own wee diddy league. Oh, we want a closed league because we don’t want beat by teams like burnley or Alaves. If they disappear to the esl, they should be rejected by their league as well. I used to really enjoy watching the epl, but since that grab for all the money, i hate it. Used to love watching Juve in serie A during the 90s on Channel 4, didn’t mind barca either. But since then, i am glad to see barca struggling. Petty i know, but if these people want to ruin football, i am not going to watch it. 

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a nailed on certainty. If you have 18 in the top division, you leave a virtual desert below that and the same arguments as now being recycled. The delegates club's will be up in arms about being put in a part time division and they are no longer viable.

That's before we start on meaningless games.

We are where we are and comparative crowd figures are good but we have the impression the game is poor, maybe it is, but I haven't seen a single idea that would increase crowds across the board.

How much of that is media driven and possibly how much is based on how we do in european competitions outside of rangers/cletic?

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

I don't mind the 12 team league currently tbh. The 10 team leagues below are too small though. The play offs were long over due but I do find it strange that you can come 4th out of 10 teams and still potentially get promoted.

As strange as this new ruling for the champions league where a side like chelsea could finish 50 points behind city and 4/5 places outside of the “champions league places” but still qualify? 

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Do they also have 3 cup competitions where you could meet the same team? 

As much as i like the spfl trophy (purely because the rovers have went far in it the past 4/5 seasons) do you think cutting us down to just the Scottish cup will help? 
The issue i would see with that is the fact that the league cup, does bring in revenue (a guaranteed two home games)

21 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree with your post except the bit in bold.

I don't think there would be any Champions League money rolling in. Scotland probably wouldn't have any automatic places and I doubt our teams would be good enough to get through the qualifying rounds, much like many other similar sized countries to ours. Maybe now an then, but it certainly wouldn't be a regular occurrence. 

Fair point. 

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

How would that work?  4 teams per division - that's heading into league cup territory.  

Well, in the NFL your schedule differs depending on your league position. If you win the league you play twice against your division (6 games), against every team in 2 other divisions (8 games) and you've got 3 other games against sides who finished the same position as you last year. 

Personally, I'd love this for Scotland. It would be great fun. Having a team miss out on Playoffs because of their strength of schedule would be a thing of beauty. 

15 hours ago, Molotov said:

What is boring is the most lucrative league in the world. Barclays.

I watched a great game midweek between two sides St Mirren and Dundee in tough conditions.

It was highly entertaining. End to end. Plenty of chances. Good football and lots to discuss post match (shite officials and Combe the cnut).

Football played by top clubs like Man City bore me to tears.
Earlier today I heard that Everton are 16-1 to win tomorrow at the Etihad with one bookie. 
That’s an incredible difference and shows the gulf between the sides.

Aside from when playing the OF we do tend to get very competitive games.

I honestly don’t understand why OF fans get any enjoyment from watching their teams win every fcuking week domestically. 

What price would Livingston be away at Celtic?

People who say that Man City are boring but give me Dundee any day are being disingenuous.  Of course plenty enjoy football at all levels but if you watch Spurs, Liverpool or even Brighton these days and say it is boring then you are not a fan of the actual sport but you just enjoy the emotion of watching your own team which is absolutely fine but it is inverse snobbery to say the top leagues are boring. All leagues will have 0-0 and 4-3 and they all have good and bad games.

6 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

As strange as this new ruling for the champions league where a side like chelsea could finish 50 points behind city and 4/5 places outside of the “champions league places” but still qualify? 

Yeah the name is rather ironic these days but they were never going to rebrand it as the name/music etc is so established now. Its being extended next year I think too.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Yeah the name is rather ironic these days but they were never going to rebrand it as the name/music etc is so established now. Its being extended next year I think too.

Quite ironic that when it was the european cup, it was champions only and now it’s the champions league, they are inviting all manor of teams into it. 

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm not well enough up on "the Challenge Cups of Continental Europe" to say comprehensively, with respect to lower divisions... but plenty countries have League Cups and/or 2 legs in FA cups and/or Supercups and/or playoff systems and/or lower division cups. My point is small divisions playing each other more than twice is far from being some aberration - it is infact very common, indeed increasing.

EDIT: only 1/3 of the top divisions in Europe only play each other twice.

France gave up their league cup a couple of years ago (they had a system that let the lower ranked team play at home and it led to lots of upsets and very often had lower league teams in the final).

The Copa Del Rey has went to 1 leg apart from the semi finals.

I think you'd be lucky to find 5 countries with 2 cup competitions. Portugal has one but I think the English one will go in the next 10yrs as part of the financial negotiations between the EPL and EFL.

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Apertira/clausura system (kinda) solves that.

I'd be on board with this if only to witness the punditry hive mind trying & rack their brains over how it works with concepts like an aggregate/average points table determining relegation.

Edited by GNU_Linux

9 minutes ago, ahemps said:

With a salary cap?

Depends on the level, but probably.

They still have the biggest stadium, best coaches, best facilities. They still have the biggest turnover and can therefore dictate the biggest fees. It would take other sides years to catch up so theyd still win the first few and players would go there as its the best chance of success.

A salary cap is never, ever, getting introduced into European football anyway (barring it being enforced if/when the Super League begins, to try and help stunt anyone supplanting those side (as FFP is designed to do)), so this feels entirely pointless.

12 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I love our league. It is relatively unspoiled by money.

I stopped reading here, because to think Scottish football is negligibly impacted by money is just laughable.

Ok, so the whole league isn't flush with cash like in some other countries, but financial disparity is pretty much exclusively the reason why our league is such an embarrassing duopoly. We've had only two teams win the league in the last 40 years, ffs.

I'd almost rather we had nonsense levels of cash flying around for everyone rather than a huge, insurmountable budgetary gap between two teams and the rest.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Celtic or Rangers would still win every year. 

They'd probably win the playoffs in this kind of proposition at a similar percentage to how much they win the domestic cup tournaments.

Which is still most of them, yes, but at least you'd get the occasional occurrence where someone beats them every so often. Rather than our league being a boring procession year after year. And imo, even when the bigots are going head to head right to the wire, that's still a boring procession.

An Apertura/Clausura system or some form of Playoffs is probably never going to happen, but it would provide a far more realistic chance that someone else ever wins a league title again. Which is surely what the rest of the division should really be hoping for, rather than just seeking to exist in a duopoly where the odd domestic cup win or a third place finish is seen as the pinnacle for their club.

You could maybe have an 18 team league and keep it interesting if willing to have a 4 team playoff for the last European spot.

If we were going down a salary cap route, I think a luxury tax style thing would be mildly interesting to look into. You can spend what you like but at certain thresholds you have to pay "tax" into a pot that gets distributed amongst the other teams. You could maybe tie it into it not applying to salaries for Scottish players, or who've come through the ranks.

Not necessarily saying I'd implement these, but the two things I think about when this type of discussion comes up.

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

They'd probably win the playoffs in this kind of proposition at a similar percentage to how much they win the domestic cup tournaments.

Which is still most of them, yes, but at least you'd get the occasional occurrence where someone beats them every so often.

With Rangers now approaching similar levels to before they died, how often is it that Celtic/Rangers dont actually win the Scottish Cup?

Youd rip up the entire league system, enforce a system that likely sees you playing the same teams constantly as youd presumably want it similar to the NFL? For a team other than Celtic/Rangers winning once every decade.

European money has killed domestic football at virtually every level in every country. Its not unique to us, its just worse here because the clubs who could challenge them are absolutely shite at capitalising on things. We really need Aberdeen/Hearts types to make European stages every year to close the gap, and IMO your system would harm them doing that more than it would harm the OF.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

What price would Livingston be away at Celtic?

People who say that Man City are boring but give me Dundee any day are being disingenuous.  Of course plenty enjoy football at all levels but if you watch Spurs, Liverpool or even Brighton these days and say it is boring then you are not a fan of the actual sport but you just enjoy the emotion of watching your own team which is absolutely fine but it is inverse snobbery to say the top leagues are boring. All leagues will have 0-0 and 4-3 and they all have good and bad games.

Bollocks.

It is completely dull, slow paced, with very little passion from fans or players. The league has been diluted with over rated money grabbers and premadonnas.

And because I think this about the EPL, I can't be a fan of the sport? 

EPL fan boy pish.

13 hours ago, Clangers said:

Wow that would be crazy, actually love the idea. We are looking like a Down-Up-Down as it is!

For all but the top 6 in the Premiership it would mean compulsory promotion or relegation every year, rollercoaster stuff as teams would go down and up constantly and with a few execeptions you'd end up playing a variety of teams over the years. Fun for fans, does nothing to solve the duopoly though.