The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

It suits the SNP to continue their Punch and Judy politics with the Tories in Scotland, as politics here has largely been reduced to 'we want a Ref/ say no to Indy Ref 2' for the last few years. As long as that continues, it shuts Labour out of the equation in Scotland.

However, when issues beyond Independence are able to be discussed, as they are at the moment cost of living, tackling the energy crisis, workers rights, pay, pensions, the environment etc, it suits neither the SNP or the Tories in Scotland as voters become engaged in ideas beyond the echo chamber of give us a Ref now/stop a Ref.

@Monkey Tennis I still reckon the issue with Labour is Jim Murphy on his Irn Bru crate, Ian Murray wearing a union jack suit, the party having a union jack at Conference, and Keir Starmer sacking an MP for joining a picket line, not promising to reverse Brexit after the next election, and.....not sure after that.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Which is it?

Labour are being slated on here for being just the same as even this vile incarnation of the Tories.

Yet they gifted the Tories the last election apparently, presumably by being led by Corbyn?

I vote SNP myself, but there are posters on here who need to decide exactly what their problem is with Labour, beyond just no liking them.

My problem with Labour is that when they achieve power they will tinker at the edges of policy rather than make any fundamental changes.

And when the next Tory government comes in the will easily dismantle any good work that has been done, thereby confining another generation or two of people to the dustbin.

Since I took an interest in politics in the 60s the most radical government has been the Thatcher one.  She made societal changes that I can only dream of a Labour government matching.

Which is it?

Labour are being slated on here for being just the same as even this vile incarnation of the Tories.

Yet they gifted the Tories the last election apparently, presumably by being led by Corbyn?

I vote SNP myself, but there are posters on here who need to decide exactly what their problem is with Labour, beyond just no liking them.

They betrayed the electorate and everything they've ever pretended to stand for. 

They've been instrumental in shifting the dial to an anti migrant centre right artificially created UK consensus, and when not clapping or aping the worst policies of the Tories, they were actually in bed with them, rutting away in the filth the two of them created. 

You don't have to agree by the way, but when people like me who voted for them for a large percentage of their adult lives say what they have does is unforgivable. We actually mean it. 

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

They betrayed the electorate and everything they've ever pretended to stand for. 

They've been instrumental in shifting the dial to an anti migrant centre right artificially created UK consensus, and when not clapping or aping the worst policies of the Tories, they were actually in bed with them, rutting away in the filth the two of them created. 

You don't have to agree by the way, but when people like me who voted for them for a large percentage of their adult lives say what they have does is unforgivable. We actually mean it. 

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

So, to be clear, what part of that was instrumental in 'gifting' the Tories a large majority in 2019?

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

The SNP doesn’t = independence and there are many things the SG do which I don’t agree with. An awful lot of people can’t seem to understand this and think we’ll somehow have an SNP dictatorship in perpetuity after a yes vote.

I am definitely left leaning in my politics but will continue to vote for the SNP or whoever the likeliest party is to deliver independence. Then we’ll see who offers the best future.

I think the majority of independence supporters feel the same way re future voting intentions. Imo a failure of the SG/SNP is not communicating this more but then they desperately want to stay in power. Like turkeys voting for Christmas.

These two statements contradict each other.

The sooner the discussion in Scottish politics moves on from independence the better. Voting on constitutional basis either way gives us poor government. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/20/even-amid-chaos-there-is-no-playbook-for-ousting-a-pm-so-early-in-her-tenure

"So how is the prime minister still in post? Most MPs will tell you the situation is unsustainable, but it remains sustainable as long as they remain unsure about how to act.

Worryingly for Truss, the MPs who are starting to turn are the middle ranks of the party – those with chunky but not rock solid majorities. If Truss leads the party into electoral oblivion, they will be out. If a successor manages to close the gap and still lose, they might keep their seats. If that group decides their only chance of survival is to move en masse in the next 24 hours, then the prime minister is finished.

Despite the theories flying around Westminster, there is no playbook for removing a prime minister this early in her tenure. Many have reverted to the only method they know how to use – writing letters to the 1922 Committee saying they have no confidence in the prime minister. But Truss is technically protected from a vote of no confidence for a year

The only person who knows the true number is Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 Committee, but multiple MPs have predicted the number has now far exceeded the threshold of 54 that is required to trigger a vote. One MP predicted the numbers may already be in three figures – though just nine have gone public so far."

The problem with the current iteration of the Labour party is Starmer's excessive timidness matching the Conservatives on every rightwards step since becoming leader. This means they are now committed to right-wing policies that Cameron/Osborne would've baulked at a decade ago.

5 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The sooner the discussion in Scottish politics moves on from independence the better. Voting on constitutional basis either way gives us poor government. 

No, the statements are perfectly consistent.

He's saying that voting SNP is the pathway to independence, but that once it's achieved, the current guise of the SNP need not be the perpetual government.

8 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

No they don’t. Yes the SNP = “delivering” independence but they don’t define independence if/when it arrives. That’s up to all parties.

I agree with your second point but that will only happen with independence.

No, the statements are perfectly consistent.

He's saying that voting SNP is the pathway to independence, but that once it's achieved, the current guise of the SNP need not be the perpetual government.

Plus after independence it will be relatively easy to vote them and any other party out of government

Makes them far more accountable 

Instead of just sitting here with the fingers crossed hoping England sees sense