Snide/Unsportsman Conduct in our game

Fuelled by our game at the weekend where Joe Hart pulled a wideo, it got me thinking about all the shitey stuff players do to get a perceived edge. A lot of it could be targeted by ref's but especially the 4th official who in theory has more capacity to notice this sort of stuff. Some will argue its part of the game. I'd say it is only part of the game if you turn a blind eye to it. I've listed about half a dozen but there must be more.

With Hart on the ground with a "concussion", if KVV slotted the ball that dropped to him into the goal it's a given the ref would have been surrounded and baracked, McGregor being the most vocal to cancel the goal, how outrageous of the referee to not give a "head injury" due consideration, etc. Bigger issue here is any referees watching that back know he's a fly b*****d going forward and maybe affect their decision making what should rightly be an immediate cessation of play. The fact that Hart faces no retrospective action and he avoided any criticism on Sportscene is a whole other issue.

Other stuff I've witnessed over time include:

• Players falling on the ball and committing a deliberate handball to force the referee's decision.
  • Defending players hovering over the ball to stop a quick free kick, attacking team lose all impetus. Surely FIFA can introduce something similar to rugby's 10m retreat rule otherwise the free kick moves forward 10m?
  • Suarez's handball in the world cup and ensuing missed penalty. To be fair FIFA did punish him retrospectively but no consolation for Ghana.
  • Shitty time wasting all over the park but especially by keepers. Kelly at Motherwell has already got one yellow for it this season. I also think of the comical behaviour of Jordan Pickford in the last Merseyside Derby (video below) You can also add them holding onto the ball when a player retrieves it for the restart.
  • Ballboys obviously following instructions to speedup/slow down the recycling of the ball based on how the game is going. Did it not happen in an OF match recently where the referee came over and castigated the Celtic bench for it?
  • Southampton players feigning injury around the 65' mark for a refuel/instruction session, highlighted by this Sky highlight reel (video below)

Edited by Kapowzer

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

Oh fantastic.  Another Ryan Porteous thread.

Who are Motherwell playing at the weekend again? ;) 

Yeah the big daft gallus eejit consumes my every thought.

Genuinely didn't enter my head. Nice to see the cynicism isn't restricted to just footballers ...... 😘

I'd be all for anything that will increase the amount of time the ball is in play and reduce the amount of time wasting, but VAR is going to f**k that.

Maybe we can use the American style game clock and have adverts during var breaks and when folk are drying the ball for long throw ins.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Other stuff I've witnessed over time include:

• Defending players hovering over the ball to stop a quick free kick, attacking team lose all impetus. Surely FIFA can introduce something similar to rugby's 10m retreat rule otherwise the free kick moves forward 10m?

This one should also apply to backchat to refs, especially when teams surround them. OK, see the foul you are complaining about? The free kick is now 10m further forward. What's that? You are still unhappy? That will be another 10m, oh look, it now takes the ball into your penalty area...

I am fairly sure the nonsense would stop pretty quick if that was ever introduced.

10 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

This one should also apply to backchat to refs, especially when teams surround them. OK, see the foul you are complaining about? The free kick is now 10m further forward. What's that? You are still unhappy? That will be another 10m, oh look, it now takes the ball into your penalty area...

I am fairly sure the nonsense would stop pretty quick if that was ever introduced.

I agree with all of that. The problem is that once the morons at the top who administer our game have successfully eradicated a long-standing problem, such as kicking or throwing the ball away upon the award of a free kick, they immediately allow it to creep back in and become an annoyance again! What was the f***ing point of ridding the game of one of its most irritating flaws only to willingly go back to square one?

45 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Sounds suspiciously like Rugby to me.

Where would it all end?  Everyone in the crowd wearing leather gloves, that's where.

51 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

At a talk with Jim Farry a good number of years ago that subject was brought up. His arguement against it was that in rugby advancing the penalty 10 yards may bring it into a kickers range and the risk of the offenders losing 3 points whereas in football that is not the issue.  Poor excuse from SFA supremo at the time.

Certain clubs, mainly 2 or 3 in the Championship, who's managers clearly instructs their players to scream at the ref at any contact, giving them a decision to make.

Frankly, I get more pissed off when players on my team don’t do these things - when they walk away from free kicks and let the other team take them quickly, when they don’t appeal for every decision, when they don’t grab 10 yds at a throw in, when they don’t go down holding their face when someone gently rubs their forehead against them, and yes, when they don’t go down easily. I’d go so far as to encourage them to practice these things during games in training. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Maybe the one where the 'keeper holds on to it for ages before kicking. I've absolutely no idea if the six second law still applies?

Not unsporting but one of my favourites is when a player knees the ball back to the 'keeper.  There is a slight pause before you know the howls of 'backpass' start.

Feels like I'm picking on goalies but when they deliberately swap sides at goal kicks to waste time. Thomas Cerny was the master of the dark arts.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

This was tested in various competitions around the world about 15 years ago, including in our League Cup, but it didn't really seem to work and was scrapped.

As others have said, it’s great when you do it, but infuriates you when on the receiving end.

One of my bug-bears is a player getting “injured” on the touchline but in all their pain and agony they manage to roll back on to the pitch and stop play.