Smart Meters - Pros and Cons

4 hours ago, beefybake said:

That sounds like a 'their' problem.

For them to sort out.

[Unless, that is, what is being referred to is lack of communication between the smart meter and the IHD.

This happened to me after Octopus installed a smart meter at my flat. Their answer was that the IHD needed to be nearer

to the smart meter.  The smart meter is in its box in the common hallway. The IHD is now ( inconveniently for me)  positioned

about 9 inches away, separated by the wall between them.  One of the little things Octopus accidently forgot to say when they were

extolling the virtues of a smart meter. ].

Yeah it's an issue they need to fix. There was a smart metre in the last house I rented and I never used the IHD.

I've come to the same conclusion.  Unless they can pinpoint usage for specific appliances, while several are running (they can't), I don't see the point.
Smart plugs can do individual appliances. For a more overall reading, you can get devices that clamp round the incomer to your house which will send a signal to an app. I have one which is fairly accurate, albeit not quite as accurate as the smart meter obviously. It's more than close enough for monitoring purposes.
Rubbish.
There is no legal requirement to have smart meters installed.
Yeah, but just shopping in tesco is stupid without a clubcard, if dual rate/time of use tariffs become significantly cheaper ways to run your house, only a dafty wouldn't have one.

I very much doubt its going to be straight up different rates purely based on having or not having a smart meter though.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Rubbish.

There is no legal requirement to have smart meters installed.

My understanding is that there is a fairly longstanding Government requirement for all UK Providers to make arrangements for  the replacement of standard meters by smart meters, with all installation costs being met by the providers. Private consumers can refuse replacement without penalty. Some companies can make it a condition of switching supplier and I have been unable to complete  the switch to an alternative provider on two occasions. I have been very happy with my present supplier Bulb for many years now and await with interest any attempt by Octopus to require their acquired Bulb users to install smart meters.

7 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

My understanding is that there is a fairly longstanding Government requirement for all UK Providers to make arrangements for  the replacement of standard meters by smart meters, with all installation costs being met by the providers. Private consumers can refuse replacement without penalty. Some companies can make it a condition of switching supplier and I have been unable to complete  the switch to an alternative provider on two occasions. I have been very happy with my present supplier Bulb for many years now and await with interest any attempt by Octopus to require their acquired Bulb users to install smart meters.

Octoups dont make any requirement for their current customers on standard tariffs to install one, unless they want smart tariffs, which necessitate a smart meter by their nature. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Al of this is persuading me that holding off on installing a smart meter is the right approach for now TBH.

Sounds like a world of potential hassle for absolutely zero gain to me.

There is no benefit to a smart meter. 

I do a meter reading a quarter and get a bill which I pay.  I've done so for the 13 years I've lived  in this drum.

That the electricity/utility companies have spent many billions on this project is risible as there is no benefit to the customer.

45 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There is no benefit to a smart meter. 

I do a meter reading a quarter and get a bill which I pay.  I've done so for the 13 years I've lived  in this drum.

That the electricity/utility companies have spent many billions on this project is risible as there is no benefit to the customer.

if you're happy with the status quo, then why bother posting here.

Posted on this thread, there's been various benefits, and also downsides, to having a a smart meter.

With mine , it's given me access to the stats about how much KwH i've been using throughout the day.

All split up into half hourly segments. As I know when my immersion heater comes on, and goes off ( I use a separate timer ),

and when, say, I cook my evening meal...... I can see straight in my face what I'm using, and from there it's simple arithmetic

to work out how much I'm spending on energy for different items.

My actions since I had a meter installed last March......

1. Almost ceased to use my cooker/oven.  I bought a mini oven for roasts, and 'baking' stuff, and haven't used the large cooker oven since.

Electric useage for my cooked meals has plummeted.

2.  Worked out that much of the immersion heated hot water wasn't actually being used, so dialed back both the immersor thermostat, and

also the time period that it was switched on.

3. What with all the energy price increases, my desire to pay more attention to how much electricity I use has increased, and the smart meter has given me

the ability to dig down into really examine what is costing me money.

4. By extension, I've closely examined my flat for draughts, and dealt with them.

5. Now mulling over whether to use an induction hob, rather than the cooking rings on the large cooker.

All this leaves money that I can do something useful with.

Risible... ?

No.

Edited by beefybake

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

if you're happy with the status quo, then why bother posting here.

Posted on this thread, there's been various benefits, and also downsides, to having a a smart meter.

With mine , it's given me access to the stats about how much KwH i've been using throughout the day.

All split up into half hourly segments. As I know when my immersion heater comes on, and goes off ( I use a separate timer ),

and when, say, I cook my evening meal...... I can see straight in my face what I'm using, and from there it's simple arithmetic

to work out how much I'm spending on energy for different items.

My actions since I had a meter installed last March......

1. Almost ceased to use my cooker/oven.  I bought a mini oven for roasts, and 'baking' stuff, and haven't used the large cooker oven since.

Electric useage for my cooked meals has plummeted.

2.  Worked out that much of the immersion heated hot water wasn't actually being used, so dialed back both the immersor thermostat, and

also the time period that it was switched on.

3. What with all the energy price increases, my desire to pay more attention to how much electricity I use has increased, and the smart meter has given me

the ability to dig down into really examine what is costing me money.

4. By extension, I've closely examined my flat for draughts, and dealt with them.

5. Now mulling over whether to use an induction hob, rather than the cooking rings on the large cooker.

All this leaves money that I can do something useful with.

Risible... ?

No.

It takes no effort to know the power consumption of your various appliances - and for you to think it needs a Smart Meter is, of course, risible.

But you sound like the perfect schmuck.

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It takes no effort to know the power consumption of your various appliances - and for you to think it needs a Smart Meter is, of course, risible.

But you sound like the perfect schmuck.

Can you elaborate on this?

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It takes no effort to know the power consumption of your various appliances

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Can you elaborate on this?

Maybe a 'light bulb' moment for you as you're a thick as Monday's gravy but a 100 Watt bulb consumes 0.1 kW/h etc etc.

I hate them......we have had one installed for a few years now and it's fine but my mother has now got one and I get a half n hour breakdown of her energy use when I'm up the road so I say ban them now I prefer her complaining about not getting to see a doctor immediately if she sneezes 

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think I see where you're getting confused.

It's not sums which are required. It's multiplications.

Power Rating of device in kW x duration of usage in hours x Charge per kWh.

Just because it's hard for you to multiply 3 numbers doesn't mean it's universally difficult.

So again.... No effort to monitor all usage, including wattage and time in use, including standby usage, and produce a number at the end of the day.

No effort, was the claim, which is clearly, objectively, shite. 

49 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe a 'light bulb' moment for you as you're a thick as Monday's gravy but a 100 Watt bulb consumes 0.1 kW/h etc etc.

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Care to elaborate on the etc etc .

Yeah sure.  For those from the daft @Bairnardoschool of ignorance:

-  My 1,000 Watt microwave consumes 1 Kw/h.

- My eldest's Dyson Air Wrap is rated at 1,600 Watts and uses 1.6Kw/h

Need I go on?   Is this why you utter dafties need a Smart Meter?  Because you can't do basic sums?