Smart Meters - Pros and Cons

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah sure.  For those from the daft @Bairnardoschool of ignorance:

-  My 1,000 Watt microwave consumes 1 Kw/h.

- My eldest's Dyson Air Wrap is rated at 1,600 Watts and uses 1.6Kw/h

Need I go on?   Is this why you utter dafties need a Smart Meter?  Because you can't do basic sums? 

Do you hang around your eldest's bedroom with a stopwatch? The conversation is fucking bizarre, bring back slide rules!

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Glad to see it's not just me, and these two have indeed made a complete arse of this, then doubled down. 

He's bitching about you on the Calling Cards of Morons thread now, like you personally asked him for help with arithmetic and threw it back in his face.

Maybe he's run out of whatever medications he's been taking for the past few years. 

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah sure.  For those from the daft @Bairnardoschool of ignorance:

-  My 1,000 Watt microwave consumes 1 Kw/h.

- My eldest's Dyson Air Wrap is rated at 1,600 Watts and uses 1.6Kw/h

Need I go on?   Is this why you utter dafties need a Smart Meter?  Because you can't do basic sums? 

To be fair, there are many appliances where it's not that simple.  I have a small oil-filled radiator that has a power rating of 2kW, but if I set it to my desired temperature and leave on for, say, 5 hours, it will only actually be heating the oil for a small proportion of that time.  I'd like to know how much energy it has used in that 5 hours, but just doing power rating x time won't give me the right answer.

Similarly, I have an electric shower that is rated at 7kW.  But if I turn the heat down to 3 (out of 10), and turn down the pressure, I assume it is not consuming as much as 7 kW.  But exactly how much it is consuming is not clear.

And smart meters cannot realistically provide an accurate answer either.

On 28/10/2022 at 13:55, RH33 said:

EDF have informed me the smart metre isn't sending info back. 

7 hours ago, RH33 said:

Yeah it's an issue they need to fix. There was a smart metre in the last house I rented and I never used the IHD.

i give up GIF

Spoiler

[for the avoidance of doubt, I’m joshing]

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He's bitching about you on the Calling Cards of Morons thread now, like you personally asked him for help with arithmetic and threw it back in his face.

Maybe he's run out of whatever medications he's been taking for the past few years. 

Beauty of a rant that. 

It's funnier because Kincardine has subsequently started quoting power ratings as if that's all anyone wanted to know. Great stuff and unexpected. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Beauty of a rant that. 

It's funnier because Kincardine has subsequently started quoting power ratings as if that's all anyone wanted to know. Great stuff and unexpected. 

Yours would be "useless yet persistent background noise"

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Beauty of a rant that. 

I like the idea that it's perfectly normal behaviour to wander about checking the labels on your electricals, making notes on the amount of power they draw, then scribbling down entirely standard calculations to work out how many times everyone's allowed to boil the kettle before you blow your top.

This is definitely not the stereotypical behaviour of retired lunatics whose wives are silently praying that they'll f**k off back out to work and leave them in peace.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Is this a serious question FFS?

Actually, it is. I saved about 4% on electric by switching to a power strip with individually switched outlets. Add that to the 10% savings for additional attic insulation, 5% for a variable speed pump, a 15% reduction by moving to LED bulbs, and a lovely 20% for a more efficient air conditioner and heater, and I’m now using about 45% of the power I was 11 years ago when I moved in, and about 40% of the average usage in this neighborhood. Small stuff adds up.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I like the idea that it's perfectly normal behaviour to wander about checking the labels on your electricals, making notes on the amount of power they draw, then scribbling down entirely standard calculations to work out how many times everyone's allowed to boil the kettle before you blow your top.

Just wondering if this is some sort of inside gay joke, or I’m reading too much into it.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Rubbish.

There is no legal requirement to have smart meters installed.

There's not, but before prices rocketed some suppliers had already started making a smart meter part of the terms & conditions of their best deals. They'll do the same kind of thing with the time of use tariffs, making them cheaper, as Octopus already do with their Agile tariff.

It's the same with paying by direct debit instead of the old quarterly on receipt of bill. You get the best prices by paying with direct debit because that's cheaper & easier for the suppliers. Smart meters might help some people budget better because they can get a visual image of when they are using a lot, but for the most part the positives for the consumer are a bit of a con.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

So is that smart meters filed into the “things miserable old gits hate for no discernible reason” drawer, alongside the metric system and decimal currency?

No.  Smart Meters - pointless devices we've all had to pay a proportion of £11 Bn for - in our energy bills - because Britain has a large underclass of thick c***s who can't do simple sums in their heads.