Ben Doak

Gordopolis

He’s not correct. He’s a troll.

Doak lost the ball a few of times, but one of which, he went back and recovered it which in itself was fairly impressive. Other than that, he added more energy and linked fairly well. Looked a better option than Chamberlain anyway. He does look a bit lightweight at times, but that isn’t surprising for his age.

He was also on the left - is he not a right winger? I was surprised that Klopp didn’t put Gakpo on the left, Salah in the middle and Doak on the right.

Still a positive that he got more minutes even though Liverpool were all over the place.

On 14/01/2023 at 22:19, bleedingums said:

He’s not correct. He’s a troll.

Doak lost the ball a few of times, but one of which, he went back and recovered it which in itself was fairly impressive. Other than that, he added more energy and linked fairly well. Looked a better option than Chamberlain anyway. He does look a bit lightweight at times, but that isn’t surprising for his age.

He was also on the left - is he not a right winger? I was surprised that Klopp didn’t put Gakpo on the left, Salah in the middle and Doak on the right.

Still a positive that he got more minutes even though Liverpool were all over the place.

He’s pretty much always been deployed on the right of a front 3 since joining Liverpool for the U18s / 21s & 1st team. Thrown in as one of 4 subs on 67 minutes on Saturday at 3-0 down Jurgen seemed to try him as a left wing back. 

He did really well again last night ! Great to see him getting so many chances. 

15 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That was the first Time I've seen him play for Liverpool. He looked good. 

I cant see why he couldn't be included in the squad come March. I've mentioned in another thread that we really don't have a lot of players playing regular/playing well just now. In the scenario that things aren't going well against Cyprus (I hope this isn't the case) he would be the perfect sub to come on for the last 20/25. Lifts the crowd and gets us up the pitch.

Edited by Elgin Macca

10 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

I cant see why he couldn't be included in the squad come March. I've mentioned in another thread that we really don't have a lot of players playing regular/playing well just now. In the scenario that things aren't going well against Cyprus (I hope this isn't the case) he would be the perfect sub to come on for the last 20/25. Lifts the crowd and gets us up the pitch.

To look at it from a positive note. I we are doing well against Cyprus can give him the last 15 minutes. 

Would definitely have him involved in the squad. Can only be a positive thing to try and integrate someone who looks to have massive potential as early as possible.

On 18/01/2023 at 18:31, Gunz said:

To look at it from a positive note. I we are doing well against Cyprus can give him the last 15 minutes. 

Would definitely have him involved in the squad. Can only be a positive thing to try and integrate someone who looks to have massive potential as early as possible.

I'd agree with this.  He's getting game time at a side like Liverpool, so he's worth having around the squad.  We only have a few players who can get onto the pitch and make a big difference (if not starting, Christie, Fraser?), so having some pace and guile is very useful.

With 14(?) named subs now, it's also not like it's taking a position away from someone else.  We haven't had an 'exciting' youngster in an attacking position since McFadden got his debut.  Doak may reach those heights, may go past them, or he may do a Burke.  Either way, I have no issue with him being around the squad.

Wales seem to do a good job of giving youngsters a chance.  If there's one major attribute of SC that I have enjoyed, it's been the trust in youth which has seldom been a Scottish trait.  I'd even suggest we've never had so many promising young players getting their inclusions, and their debuts.  

Some of that may be due to the quality of player available, but we've also had massive hesitancy from coaches in the past preferring to play experienced journeymen, so I'm all for it.

he's good, he's got 20mins playing at a decent level and looks promising - he's going to go on to greatnes

- no he's no, he's shite, if he was any good he'd be at man city psg or real by now, fuckin mbappe won the world cup at 19

Welcome to tartan army forums past present an future

give it a fuckin rest you c***s

35 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

he's good, he's got 20mins playing at a decent level and looks promising - he's going to go on to greatnes

- no he's no, he's shite, if he was any good he'd be at man city psg or real by now, fuckin mbappe won the world cup at 19

He doesn't have to be mbappe level to get in the Scotland squad 

Muppet

The fact of the matter is, other sides would have him called up for the experience. The fact that we argue about it is a shortcoming of Scotlands national team for me, not that we get the luxury often of leaving a young talented player out. 

I mean look at Garnacho, he has been called up by the world champions. He's probably a wee bit further on than Doak but this season still represents his first proper senior football really. 

Get Doak called up to bed him in, and let's hope he retains his place on merit thereafter. 

There's no rush to decide anyway; we've got two months between now and March during which he could be out of the matchday squads (pretty conceivable when Diaz and Jota return) or step up another level. Right now we're as well just chilling out and watching how he plays. 

I think he's a good option right now but I'm also wary about the mental side of it coming at him really quickly. He seems to have a great mentality on the pitch (as a lot of our recent youngsters have) but we don't really know what he's like off it. 

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think he's a good option right now but I'm also wary about the mental side of it coming at him really quickly. He seems to have a great mentality on the pitch (as a lot of our recent youngsters have) but we don't really know what he's like off it. 

If he can cope with getting a game for Liverpool, he can cope with sitting on the bench for Scotland.

And given he'd have el capitano Robbo by his side, I've no doubt the boy would take it in his stride.

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

If you don't want to read people discussing Scotland players, there's a simple solution.

Rather than asking people to stop giving their opinions. You could simply stop reading the threads on the tartan army forums. Its very very likely that is exactly what they will be about.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The fact of the matter is, other sides would have him called up for the experience. The fact that we argue about it is a shortcoming of Scotlands national team for me, not that we get the luxury often of leaving a young talented player out. 

I mean look at Garnacho, he has been called up by the world champions. He's probably a wee bit further on than Doak but this season still represents his first proper senior football really. 

Get Doak called up to bed him in, and let's hope he retains his place on merit thereafter. 

Theres not been a squad since he's been involved in Liverpool's first team.

If there was a squad announcement next wk I'd be amazed if he wasn't called up. If he continues progressing the way he is and getting more game time he might well walk into our first 11.

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If he can cope with getting a game for Liverpool, he can cope with sitting on the bench for Scotland.

And given he'd have el capitano Robbo by his side, I've no doubt the boy would take it in his stride.

Clarke will surely be discussing it with Robertson and getting his viewpoint on whether he’s ready mentally etc as well. He clearly is ready to be in the squad from an ability point of view.

14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If you don't want to read people discussing Scotland players, there's a simple solution.

Rather than asking people to stop giving their opinions. You could simply stop reading the threads on the tartan army forums. Its very very likely that is exactly what they will be about.

It’s more about the extremes people gravitate to on here. We will more than likely go on to be a full international in time.

there are some on here who are determined to trash all our young players at every opportunity and others who go on to try and counter that pointless negativity by talking up 2 decent touches in a cup game to ballon d’or winning material 

its childish