Living with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

14 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anytime I’m using the washing machine I always type/write on phone or paper what’ve I’ve put in the washing machine incase anything goes missing. 

Not mocking your affliction, but I like the idea of a The Mangler-style washing machine that nicks your stuff if you leave it plugged in while you're out.

Does anything ever actually go missing?

After washing hair, I leave the shampoo on for exactly one minute, before rinsing, timed on my Omega Speedmaster, or other quality timepiece.*

*The watch is on a shelf, not worn in shower.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not mocking your affliction, but I like the idea of a The Mangler-style washing machine that nicks your stuff if you leave it plugged in while you're out.

Does anything ever actually go missing?

Apart from the odd sock then nope. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There isn't a back door.

Are you sure?

Edited by Lyle Lanley

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

After washing hair, I leave the shampoo on for exactly one minute, before rinsing, timed on my Omega Speedmaster, or other quality timepiece.*

*The watch is on a shelf, not worn in shower.

Thank you.

There is an idea of a Bigmouth Strikes Again; some kind of abstraction.

Probably not OCD, but I'll get the occasional bizarre urge to do something random like lift something for the sake of it, and I'll get mildly unsettled until I do it and sit back down again.

Intrusive thoughts such as considering throwing your phone in the toilet for the sake of it are a completely different kettle of fish.

The air vents in my car. Specifically the two central ones - I need to have them set at the same ‘level’ so that the vent slats line up with each other. The air vents at the doors? Couldn’t care less. Point them up and to the left or right towards the doors? Fine. Have one up, one down, one open, one closed? Fine. However, the two in the middle - got to be perfectly lined up, or I get beads of sweat running down the crack of my arse.

I’m thinking of super-glueing the fcukers into a perfectly lined-up central position so the slats can never deviate. 😎

17 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anytime I’m using the washing machine I always type/write on phone or paper what’ve I’ve put in the washing machine incase anything goes missing. 

Do you then check them off as they come out again? 

I’m getting worse when I set my alarm on my phone. When I swipe away I convince myself that I have deactivated the alarm when closing it and then pull it up to check. I then repeat this step up to fifteen times despite never having accidentally done this and I never sleep in.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm another who counts items in and out of the washing machine.

I've got an odd sock drawer that's gradually filled up over about a decade, so I'm starting to think you guys might be on to something with this.

On 10/12/2022 at 00:51, BFTD said:

I've got an odd sock drawer that's gradually filled up over about a decade, so I'm starting to think you guys might be on to something with this.

You can’t know it’s the machine part of the process that’s causing the issue. You’ll need a comprehensive audit trail of movements from leaving your feet through to arriving in the drawer. 

This sort of thing is usually down to crows taking them off the line to use as nesting material. But you need the evidence.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:51, BFTD said:

Sock manufacturers use different dyes for the left socks and the right socks so matching socks eventually stop matching and you have to go and buy new ones.

HTH