Raith vs Arbroath, 17/12/22

Just now, pub car king said:

Granted Frederickson hasn't worked out, and Easton has been somewhat underwhelming considering his season at Airdrie. 

That said comparing Murrays signings to Claudes 5 a side players is a hot take alright. 

Yes it was, but the shit performances of late show they are no better. 

That was, obviously, a terrible way to spend 90 minutes of life.

Both teams were awful.  That's as poor a home performance I've seen from Rovers for some time, and probably as poor an opposition as I've seen for some time.  Only real surprise was that it was a score draw as opposed to 0-0. Dire stuff.  

It's been a while since I've seen as much individual errors or poor performances in a game.  Only so much of today you can put down to the manager, a lot goes to the players - some signed by him, some not.

Some of the fans were out of order though.  I'm generally someone who gets a wee bit irate at games, but booing players during a game (some who have largely been very good for us this season) just isn't right and helps nothing.  Doesn't help shooting away from the South Stand when trying to build moves when chasing the game, I've never seen a team boo'ed up the pitch to any real success before.

I'm seeing more or less what I thought I would see this season.  A bit of a mess last season, and it appears not a huge amount of money to bring players in.  There is pressure on the manager though, at the very least I would expect to see Connell out and an attempt to come to an agreement with Frederiksen.  It will not be at all difficult to recruit better.

I do feel that we are stuck with, in Ross and Gullan, 2 quite expensive mistakes.  I can't imagine they came cheap, and we would need someone to pay actual money for them to move them on.  We get nowhere near enough from either of them relative to the financial outlay - through a combination of injuries and no being very good.

On the plus side, I suppose managing to score a goal without having a meaningful shot across 90 minutes should be considered genuinely admirable, but that positive is weighed down by countless negatives. 

Arbroath are terrible, and I thought we’d beat them today, and the fact they looked every bit as good as us, if not slightly better, is a big cause for concern. 

Without trying to avoid criticising Ian Murray entirely, last January’s transfer window has knackered us, and not just the Goodwillie scenario. 

We all seemed pretty happy with the Ethan Ross and Sam Stanton signings, while the Jamie Gullan deal was a bit more mixed, but that’s a massive outlay on long term deals, none of whom we desperately needed. What was the thinking there? 

I wasn’t entirely sure the Scott Brown and Dylan Easton signings were required, but to be fair, Brown has worked out okay, and in my opinion, we look better going forward when Easton is playing, but also easier to play through, so balancing that is tricky. 

Ryan Nolan, Connor O’Riordan and Ross Millen have all been fine as well, so interesting to see Murray compared to Anelka in terms of his signings. Frankly, anyone who thinks that is probably a bit of a balloon. 

However, today suggests we’re in trouble, there’s no getting away from it. What do we change though? 

The midfield is the best part of our team, so taking one out probably means teams can dominate us even more. I’m not sure we can go a 3-5-2 with Millen and Ngwenya as wing backs either, so it’s a bit of a quandary. 

If the home form is heading south, then the away form needs to improve, and if there’s no money to bring in a decent forward, then one of the players who play in behind will need to be moved on to allow a striker to be brought in  

Shipping someone out who’s on high wages and then getting the right forward in is a pretty tough ask. 

If we can’t manage it though, then we’re reliant on Hamilton and Arbroath continuing to be abysmal.

Edited by McGuigan1978

Totally agree regarding Ross who we paid money for has returned very little and yet again goes off injured , Gullan was a desperation Mcglynn signing who has done nothing really and to have gave him a 2 1/2 year deal was crazy , But totally agree this team is no where as bad a Claude the frauds squad !

That was a grim way to spend a freezing afternoon.

First half was OK; we should have been a good couple of goals ahead before Arbroath equalised. That rocked us back on our heels and the second half was brutal. If Arbroath had won we couldn't have complained.  

49 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Granted Frederickson hasn't worked out, and Easton has been somewhat underwhelming considering his season at Airdrie. 

That said comparing Murrays signings to Claudes 5 a side players is a hot take alright. 

Can you see Easton getting loaned out in January,  not really surprised about him struggling in Championship,  thought he would , although he was sensational in League 1 last season

I think Ethan Ross, like Dylan Easton, is much more effective in the middle of the park rather than shunted out wide. Ross has much more of the "look" of a winger, but they're both better when they've got space to move and turn into. 

Someone mentioned earlier that we were getting a fair bit of joy down the right hand side. I think a lot of the time it just looks like that because we've got nothing down the left. 

5 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think Ethan Ross, like Dylan Easton, is much more effective in the middle of the park rather than shunted out wide. Ross has much more of the "look" of a winger, but they're both better when they've got space to move and turn into. 

Someone mentioned earlier that we were getting a fair bit of joy down the right hand side. I think a lot of the time it just looks like that because we've got nothing down the left. 

Would totally agree with that, our left hand side gives us nothing. 

Ultimately, we’ve not solved the problem of how to hurt teams from wide positions without Tumilty and from a bit further back, Kieran MacDonald. 

We don’t have full backs or wide players who can cause damage, and teams know they can compress us in the middle, so playing through them is almost impossible. 

Apart from that we’re fine 

7 minutes ago, RaithRovers1883 said:

Yes the second half in particular was brutal, but it's so disappointing to hear the fans turning on the team like that instead of getting behind them. I've never understood what people think they're achieving by booing and screaming.

It's also disappointing to watch players and management fail to show even basic levels of competency, again, but never mind. 

Murray has no credit in the bank with us and has no entitlement to the benefit of the doubt. He is deserving of every bit of stick he gets. 

Got to love a big boooooo. Are you even a Rovers fan if you’ve never had a good boo session at Starks? 😂

Ive never came away from a game this season thinking “what a great sub that was…” or “Murray changing it up has got us the points today”

He like Southgate for England. Cannot influence a game during the actual game. Can plan and plan during the week to your hearts content, but if you can’t influence a game from the touchline then you aren’t going to get very far I’m afraid. 

I don’t want rid of Murray like right now or anything, and he definitely should be given more time, but just feel like when we are in a close game, we never seem to win. If we’re playing well and well ahead of the opposition it’s fine. But when it’s 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1 very little actually changes. Especially when we are actually losing a match. That’s pretty frustrating. 

Raith are only 6 points away from the play off position - surely it can't all be doom and gloom ?

As for Arbroath, we have been without a proven championship striker all season, we lost key players in the summer and have yet to recover - we have lost our mojo ( for the time being).

Only won 2 games all season as we don't have any fire power.

The January transfer window will make or break Arboath's season - absolutely no room for error with the January signings.

Back four and keeper showing signs the last few league games that we can be defensively solid, middle to front we are miles off it, just cannot create anything and with no Allan and McKenna today I kind of just knew what we were going to serve up. I thought Raith were absolutely dreadful aswel