The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

2 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Is there a list of solo/duo picks?

My perennial spreadsheet, at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18i0Cn-E7CeVPRDDenTxHY3Og_zVa-tfYV42mid6WTpk has the list, with colour coded dual/solo picks in both the 'Players' and 'Picks' worksheets (and you can look across the columns to get the actual pick count for any given pick). You have three solos and two duals.

17 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Quick look at the spreadsheet shows 438 solo shots (although two of those are Joanne Woodword/Woodward) and 97 duos (with two of those being Marianne Faithful/Faithfull)

There's more than one spelling issue. I think I caught them all and whittled it down to 435 solos and 96 duos. It was a little fiddly what with Curmudgeon's team of duplicate name dopplegangers and the double Frank Fieldses.

Edited by Aim Here

9 hours ago, ParsJake said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but has anyone ever ended up on zero points 2 years in a row?

Not-worried GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nil points for me in both 2021 and 2022. Here’s hoping 2023 is when I break my cherry 

5 hours ago, Aim Here said:

My perennial spreadsheet, at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18i0Cn-E7CeVPRDDenTxHY3Og_zVa-tfYV42mid6WTpk has the list, with colour coded dual/solo picks in both the 'Players' and 'Picks' worksheets (and you can look across the columns to get the actual pick count for any given pick). You have three solos and two duals.

There's more than one spelling issue. I think I caught them all and whittled it down to 435 solos and 96 duos. It was a little fiddly what with Curmudgeon's team of duplicate name dopplegangers and the double Frank Fieldses.

Very nice. 2 amusingly related solo shots and a somewhat surprising duo…then several 3 and 4’s, a few standards and couple of half the field took’em types.

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

US rally driver Ken Block dead at 55 in a snowmobile accident. Between that and Jeremy Renner, I’ll be staying off the snowmobiles. 

Worse if you're killed in Scotland by a snowplough with a daft name

"Stevie Starr was today killed in a tragic accident involving Gritty McGritface"

On 02/01/2023 at 04:34, Bully Wee Villa said:

Ezra Miller and Ray Reardon's DOBs are wrong.

I'll have a check of this (and the other spelling problems) tomorrow, thanks. I'm always happy for people to check over what I've done and point out any mistakes.

On 02/01/2023 at 17:33, chomp my root said:

Would probably be a shitload of work but would there be mileage in a themed (second) deadpool. I had half a notion to put in a WW2 list.

I've considered adding a Theme Team rule before, but I've never really been sure how to balance the points to make it a large enough bonus to be worth doing, but not so large it ends up an automatic win. if some of them die. I suppose given the top ten seem to get a minimum of seven picks dying it would still need to be a theme which had people likely to die somehow, rather than say fifteen active Premiership footballers.

23 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Umm, our glorious leader and benefactor, Miguel, famously topped his last gasp hit of 2019 by striking out for the next two consecutive years with his theme team of immortal writers. He managed to toss in a non-writer in 2022 who took him off the bottom last year. wellinwigan and Raven both scored *nil points* in both 2021 and 2022.

1. If they keep surviving they're more likely to die year on year, obviously.

2. Could you imagine the accusations if I hand picked the best of everyone's choices and won with a 15/15 hit rate? Maybe one day when I listen to your advice and figure out how to make a real spreadsheet I'll enter two more teams, of the 15 most popular picks and the 15 oldest picks, see if that works.

33 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

2. Could you imagine the accusations if I hand picked the best of everyone's choices and won with a 15/15 hit rate? Maybe one day when I listen to your advice and figure out how to make a real spreadsheet I'll enter two more teams, of the 15 most popular picks and the 15 oldest picks, see if that works.

Oh, that's a decent thought. 

For 2022, the team of 'Most popular picks' got 6 hits and 436 points

The team of 'Oldest picks' got 8 hits and 484 points.

(Obviously setting the Captain and Vice captain to be the mostest old or mostest popular two picks in both cases)

For this year, the two teams would be:

Most Popular:

Rob Burrow
Jonnie Irwin
Gianluca Vialli
Jimmy Carter
Bobby Charlton
Andy Taylor
Vladimir Putin
Rhod Gilbert
Shannen Doherty
George Alagiah
James Whale
Rolf Harris
Shane MacGowan
Billy Connolly
Linda Nolan

Oldest:

John Tinniswood
Anne Baker
Elizabeth Waldo
June Spencer
Walter Mirisch
Iris Apfel
Norman Lear
Janis Paige
Frank Field (the weatherman/Heimlich one)
Glynis Johns
Henry Kissinger
Roy Roper
Bob Barker
Charlie Munger

Jimmy  Carter is just 9 days off being in both teams.

Edited by Aim Here