Motherwell vs St Mirren

The proper football is back.

Fair to say the break came at a good time for us. With just 2 wins in our last 12 league games(including 8 defeats) and only 1 league win at Fir Park all season, it’s been a tough start for Hammell. 

Sadly, we look no better off in terms of numbers. In fact with Moult seemingly away we’re actually another body down. You can only hope some of those that were playing through injuries and being run into the ground before the shutdown come back refreshed after a wee break. 

Other than that it’ll pretty much be as we were. Shields or Tierney in for Moult the only change we’ll be making from our last game in Perth. 

As for St Mirren, fair to say Robbo has turned things round since we last met? 

Edited by Casagolda

What's the chat with Moult? Is he away back to Burton?

Don't think players can move cross border between windows?

Saints should be at full strength for this one, don't think we have any injury concerns at all.

Our away form has been pish, your home form has been pish. Hopefully it's us who buck that trend on Saturday.

I'm still convinced one of the best performances we've had this season was in the 1-0 defeat to Well on the opening weekend, hopefully this time round we get the breaks and Liam Kelly is not playing like Dino Zoff in his prime.

22 minutes ago, Div said:

What's the chat with Moult? Is he away back to Burton?

Don't think players can move cross border between windows?

Chat is that he's injured again and is away back to his parent club. We confirmed that we'd cancelled Aarons loan at the start of November so it'd be a similar situation.

I guess the million $ Q is why if Moult is away the club are allowing the fans to speculate / discuss rather than tell us what is what 🤷‍♂️.

Either way this is a huge game for Motherwell. This weekend and then the Killie home game. Anything less than 3 or 4 points and we will start as we finished b4 World Cup. Our home form has been poor but we have also played some good football (Hearts and United) and not got results. In fact the run of 8 defeats include Celtic x 2, Hearts x 2, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs away. So whilst poor not overly shocking by historical standards. The only outlier is maybe Hibs as they seem to beat us and no one else these days…..

Quite the opposite of the opening game which was daylight robbery. In fact St Mirren fans would have every justification to query how Kelly was so exceptional that day since he has been on a downward spiral pretty much ever since.

The defence worries me. We seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet. 

It is my birthday on Saturday which also gives me the fear. Since when have Motherwell delivered when I would most like them too. 3 points would be an excellent present 👊, but I expect a score draw or a narrow defeat 🙈. I have gone all MJC 😳

Edited by welldaft

34 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The only outlier is maybe Hibs as they seem to beat us and no one else these days…..

To be fair they spanked us at Easter Road in the middle of their current honking run.

Don't think there is all that much between any of the ten teams outside the big two this season, and even Rangers have been there to be got at on the road.

Our home form is so impressive yet the style of football we play both home and away is identical. We're always happy for the opposition to have the ball and hit on the counter. If anything that should be more suited to playing away from home but for whatever reason it's just not worked out that way.

Soon as we lose one goal we look like losing a few more. Imperative that we get the first goal on Saturday and hopefully Robbo has been working on some tweaks to how we set up on the road. Dec being back fit is a big plus for us and Ryan Strain will be fully fit now which is another huge positive.

51 minutes ago, Div said:

Soon as we lose one goal we look like losing a few more.

Sort of the same with us although we've only lost one league game by more than the odd goal this season (Hearts at Fir Park). (I think) the only game we've come from behind to win this season was Aberdeen at Pittodrie and even then we initially went 1 up.

@thisGRAEME covered it well on The Terrace Patreon; we're not a team that's well placed to chase a game as we don't have the depth of players who can change a game for us.

As @Casagolda points out, if Moult is away back down the road that leaves us a body down from where we were before the break and we were massively light at that point. If you look at the squad we had for the Spurs game with our current injury situation we're essentially running with the same 14 outfield players plus a bunch of school weans.

Edited by capt_oats

I'll have to take the wean along with me for her 2nd ever Fir Park appearance (6 mins she lasted 1st time, Callum Slattery scored after 2 mins and the crowd roar sent it down hill fae there.)
Missus is away on a crimbo day out or something.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'll have to take the wean along with me for her 2nd ever Fir Park appearance (6 mins she lasted 1st time, Callum Slattery scored after 2 mins and the crowd roar sent it down hill fae there.)

Wrap up warm, my earliest memory of the football is losing all feeling in my hands and feet.

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Worrying if you’ll you’ll get caught with a Fruit Shoot in your bag when the Green Brigade have got full firework displays. 

We've lost every single away game in the league this season, apart from one at Tannadice in August, which we naturally won 3-0. Since Robinson arrived we've lost 2/2 against The Well, that 4-2 humping on our last visit to Fir Park was a real low point in our horrible finish to last season. Not much cause for optimism then, but I still think we might get something here.

1-1

Haven’t seen much of St Mirren, or anyone really this season, but certainly been impressed with a lot of their results.

Robinson seems to have got them playing and all our ex-players that none of us were sorry to see leave would now probably walk into our team!

We’ve been on a rotten run and barring a very good January window sadly the signs that this season could end in tears look ominous.

If the rumours are to be believed that Moult is injured and away back to Burton are true I wish the club would let us know. 

By hook or by crook we need to get points on the board before Christmas but I think St Mirren will win this fairly comfortably. 

10 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Haven’t seen much of St Mirren, or anyone really this season, but certainly been impressed with a lot of their results.

Robinson seems to have got them playing and all our ex-players that none of us were sorry to see leave would now probably walk into our team!

We’ve been on a rotten run and barring a very good January window sadly the signs that this season could end in tears look ominous.

If the rumours are to be believed that Moult is injured and away back to Burton are true I wish the club would let us know. 

By hook or by crook we need to get points on the board before Christmas but I think St Mirren will win this fairly comfortably. 

We don’t win games fairly comfortably. We are capable of winning games, but they are never comfortable. Never. Ever.